• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games you want to be good but just aren't

I've seen a great many game on store shelves that i like the style and concept of but never buy them because i know (via research, i dont blind buy) that they're not very good.

So you have any games that you like the look of? Games where the concept and the world and the characters and style intrigue you but you dont wanna waste money on them becauee you know theyre bad or at least quite flawed?

For me its Mirror's Edge. I like the look, the setting, i'm intrigued as to what story that kind of game would tell... but bloody hell they just arent the best they could be. Much shame.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has to be my best example. After learning all the new courses, I'd play online for a bit, and be like "This game is just kinda boring"...

Mido

Version 1
Over the years, probably the best examples for me have been Sonic: Lost World and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Although to be fair to the former, I've heard more mixed reviews of it as opposed to downright negative on all fronts). Both games I planned on getting at various points, but word of mouth caught in quick and I ended up holstering on both purchases. I won't rule out the former being bought eventually if I ever feel up to it.

As far as recent examples go, I'd have to throw in Agents of Mayhem. I absolutely loved the idea, as while I didn't like the directions of Saints Row: The Third and Saints Row IV*, I could certainly roll with a spinoff series embracing that direction. The game has seemingly gotten a seemingly positive reaction overall with some more skeptical reviews here and there, so I didn't pay too much mind to them. Since I didn't have a console to play it on, I felt bad that I was missing out until @HauntedCastle brought up the game's microtransactions in one of his posts in another thread. Now I don't feel as bad for missing out. This game isn't wholly divisive in terms of good or bad, but something like microtransactions did assure me to some degree that missing out wasn't a huge deal.

*I don't think either of these games are bad, because they clearly have a solid fanbase and the gameplay is still strong.

Here's a few I really wanted to be good but were not that good at all. I won't include the games I never cared for but bought anyway and were bad. Only the ones I was hyped for but were disappointing are on this list.

Star Fox Zero - The controls were fine for me. Just everything else was poorly done. The game looked grerat but removed everything that made the SNES and N64 games great. I was so hyped for this but it fell flat hard. Little things like the Andross fight being a unfun clone, no mini map in all range modes, pointlessly revisiting planets and other areas, no clear easy/medium/hard difficulty routs, like the SNES and N64 games had, no way to permanently keep the blue lazers like the SNES and N64 games had. So many things wrong here. Such a shame.

Samurai Warriors 4 and 4-2, Empires, Spirit of Sanada - Sadly these games are sub par when compared to the Dynasty Warriors 8 series, Dragon Quest Hereos 1/2 etc etc. The games play alright as far as musou games go. However they all look like garbage. I've seen flash games made in the 2000's that look better. Also the encyclopedia and gallery sections are garbage or non existent. 4-2 is not just a better 4. It's a totally new concept of following a few specific generals. It just does not work. Dynasty Warriors 8 (extreme legends complete expansion disc) is what people should be getting these days. That's a Musou game done very well. You don't even need to nkow anything about the three kingdoms period as the ingame encyclopedia is so well done, it explains everything you need to know, to understand the story. Also the story video between battles explains what's about to happen very well too. It's required so people understand the hypothetical scenarios as well.

Hyrule Warriors - A very fun game but very very flawed. Not a good Musou game. A shame really as I had lots of hope it would be good. Quite disappointing. I'll list some of the flaws this game had.

Pointless collectables - The heart pieces useless for A Rank runs. Armour badges useless for all of the no favoured element stages (all of the tougher stages)
RNG enemy weakpoints - Having to wait for a boss enely to expose it's weakpoint so it can be damaged is broken. Add this to the fact that A rank runs have a time limit and we have broken boss fights. Dragon Quest Heroes 1/2 does this way better. Their bosses have weak points but not using the weakpoints is riskier and does less damage but it's still very possible to kill enemy bosses without using their weakpoints. The weakpoints in DQH 1/2 make the bosses easier/faster to beat. They are not required like in Hyrule Warriors.
One hit death stages - Those adventure mode stages that have the playable character die in a single hit are just not fun. They are broken and should not be in the game.
Content locked to one version of the game. The 3DS port having the hero swapping feature and more adventure maps was a slap in the face to the people who bought the WiiU port of the game.
Objectively bad weapons - Dynasty Warriors 8 has well over 50 characters. Assuming you only use the favoured weapon on each character that's well over 50 weapons too. I've use them all and none of them feel broken. The weak attack spam as well as the strong attack combos all work fine. Sure some characters are more suited to differing playstyles, I didn't ever feel hindered because I chose a certain character. In Hyrule Warriors a few of the playable characters were quite terrible. That bug Agitha, Midna and that girl with the monster creating weapon come to mind. I could not just spam the weak attack or choose my favourite strong combo. I was forced to use a specfic combo attack with each of these characters to progress in the stages. Simply because none of their other attacks were good enough to get an A rank.

What A Rank should have been - Use any character you want and get a certain number of KOs in a certain time while beating the stage. No damage requirements, so heart pieces have a use. Attacking the bosses outside their weakpoints would be a viable way to kill them (not currently possibler in Hyrule Warriors). This would make the boss fights way more fun and just better over all. Also the A Rank would only give the player loot. The only requirements to move to the next areas on the adventure mode map would be just completing the previous stage. No more "require B rank or A Rank" to reach the next adventure mode stage. Also every single adventure mode stage would have a favoured element, to make the armour badges have a use.

Super Smash Bros 4 - The multiplayer here is fine. The single player was a huge disappointment. No Melee/Brawl like classic mode was disappointing. The classic mode that SSB4 had was a joke. Just not fun at all. Not being able to continue at the same difficulty is also a bad idea in SSB4. The event mode was average. A nice concept, but the Melee event mode stages were just better. More thought needed to be put into making the SSB4 event mode stages actually good. Having the only 2d platforming section in the game, come after beating the toughest boss in the game, and being forced to play on a very hard dofficulty to access it. That platforming section should not have been in the game. No proper hit the targets mode either.
Overall a decent multiplayer experience but all the single player modes were terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom