• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Food in Hyrule

I'd like to know your thoughts on what food is in Hyrule. Sustenance isn't a big issue in the games, but I'm curious as to what is available, and what we could reproduce.

From a lot of the recent games, we know milk to be a fairly staple part of the diet, as well as pumpkins. Making soup from these is apparently super tasty. We also know that Bulbo are edible, as well as Deku Hornet Larvae, though bitter. mmm just imagine a roast Bulbo drizzled with caramelized Pumpkin...

So, what do you remember as being available, and what would you like to reproduce?

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
If the games are a reasonable reflection, it would seem that their primary meat source is chicken. Unless octorok is edible...

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Given the time the games are set in- mostly the mid to late middle ages by the looks of things- I'd say they have a mostly herbivorous diet, with chicken and possibly other meat when possible.

EDIT: And they must eat fish too. There are plenty of fish.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
While there are plenty of examples, I'd say the food in Hyrule is largely for decoration. The average late medieval / early modern European family needed about 40 acres of grain to sustain itself, and most lived on the sickly precipice of starvation well into the 18th and sometimes 19th century. Clearly not even a fraction of that is committed - for obvious reasons. You don't want to spend an hour running through wheat fields to get to the action.

Also, I'd never try to eat a Deku nut. They explode when you throw them. :O

You don't want to spend an hour running through wheat fields to get to the action.
Why not just combine the action with harvesting? Sounds fun.
Also, I'd never try to eat a Deku nut. They explode when you throw them. :O
Throw a grape hard enough and it explodes too. I'm thinking of being careful with them and getting some flavor out of this stuff.

J

JPowers83

Maybe the people in Hyrule invented what we now know as pumpkin pie? lol. I've never noticed an oven in any houses, so they probably boil all their food. I'd say they mostly eat soup or chicken. Obviously they can drink goat milk. Then you got the goat cheese. Maybe they make chicken parm with goat cheese? lol. But do they have tomatoes in Hyrule? I don't remember ever seeing tomatoes in any Zelda game. Or maybe they make Octorock Parm instead of Chicken Parm?

I have actually had pumpkin soup before. Recently, in fact. It's not bad with garlic and some extra flavorings thrown in. I don't really like soup that's even a bit sweet, but it wasn't bad, just not my thing.

But yeah, I'd have to agree on chicken/pumpkin-related stuff, dairy, etc.

Also, just sayin'... I'm vegetarian, but if I lived in Hyrule, I might just consider trying some Octorok or some other (assuming edible) monster, just out of curiosity. I kinda wonder what Moblin bacon would taste like (think Wind Waker). I mean, unlike pigs, Moblins actually ARE evil and out to get you, so... It's not really bad, right? xD

Kirino

Tatakae
Fried Cucco? :rolleyes:

I'm guessing they eat mostly plants, and maybe some monsters. ChuChu soup? Fish too, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom