• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler First Zelda Experiences: The Legend of Zelda the Wind Waker (Part 1)

Which is better music: Dragon Roost Island or Gerudo Valley?

• Total voters
Hey everyone, today marks the creation of my first article on Zeldadungeon, so I thought it would be appropriate to begin at my roots back in 2007 when I picked up at a local Best Buy a game that would become the catalyst to my continuous devotion to Nintendo: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

To be honest, I only picked it up because it had a sailboat on the cover (I've been a sailor for eleven years now), and I was a devoted Sonic fan because they were, up to this point, the only games I owned for my gamecube. Imagine my delight as I discovered the game involved sailing from island to island in a quest to save my sister!

Now I will admit, my first experience sound great right now, but after hacking my way through about 45 minutes of gameplay, saving a pirate girl that fell from a giant bird's talons, sailing the seas as a pirate all to reach the Forsaken Fortress, launched out of a barrel to save my sister ONLY TO LOSE MY SWORD. I cannot tell you how awful my first Forsaken Fortress experience because I did not yet understand the concept of stealth in video games or using ground items as weapons--remember my only games before this were Sonic, going fast and beating the crap out of everything in sight--so after hours of getting thrown in jail I figured out you could turn off the searchlights by attacking the guards with the nearby weapons in the pot. So after all that I climbed the fortress, found my sword, reached the cell where my sister was held only to be thwarted again by that stupid bird. When it took me to its master, I didn't realize he was facing backward and just thought he was wearing a really strange hood thing, but that was the least of my concerns as I was flung miles into the sea.

By now I was more determined than ever to rescue my sister, and with the help of this mysterious talking boat that rescued me, I knew I would be able to right no-.......wait......no sail? Well I'm pretty lucky to have found my way to the only island in the game that sells a sail! I played hide and seek with the kinds of Windfall, found a crazy elf guy named Tingle in a jail cell, and finally returned to my ship after breaking all the expensive pots that rich snobby guy owned.

Dragon Roost Island, this place made the game for me. The music is just incredible as you walk ashore for the first time still resonates with me and though I may be in the minority I like it more than Gerudo Valley. Then I received the wind waker from the mouth of my boat, and I messed around with it for a while only to just completely forget about it because it was useless to me right now. I climbed the mountain and entered the home of the coolest mail service I've ever seen..........

Well, that's it for Part 1, If you'd like a part 2 please like and if not I can just move on to my normal content in the future (gameplay comparisons/criticisms, Boss lore, Fun with items, etc). Feel free to share your own experiences in the comments! Part 2 will be out probably next week because I have rowing Championships this weekend. Thanks for reading!

Forcing me to choose...

latest

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Gerudo Valley for me as well. Though it was more difficult to choose than I thought when I first read the question. I think the thing that made the Gerudo Valley song better for me was the setting as well as the music itself. The entire entrance to the area was just so epic that it made the music that much more enjoyable.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one who doesn't really care for the Gerudo theme. It's not bad or anything, but I just don't particularly like it.

Gerudo Valley for me as well. Though it was more difficult to choose than I thought when I first read the question. I think the thing that made the Gerudo Valley song better for me was the setting as well as the music itself. The entire entrance to the area was just so epic that it made the music that much more enjoyable.

I happen to agree with you in that case, perhaps I'm more biased with this being my first Zelda game ever and one of the most epic soundtracks in the game.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I happen to agree with you in that case, perhaps I'm more biased with this being my first Zelda game ever and one of the most epic soundtracks in the game.

I can understand that. Your first Zelda experience is always more special. My first Zelda was 8-bit, so there was never any epic opening sequence. It wasn't until Ocarina that they were able to do really cool and cinematic opening sequences to different areas.

Although I admit the first time I went into the Lost Woods in Link to the Past, it was pretty awesome. The music change, the fog, the mystery. Ah ... memories ^_^

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
oh easily dragon roost island
when i first heard it in super smash bros brawl, i HATED it. it was one of the very few songs for a long while where i turned it's frequency completely down, didn't want to hear that trash in my matches. then i played ocarina of time and every time i went into the valley i always muted the tv. just could not stand it

nowadays however....it's a'ight i guess. hard to say why i hated it i the first place, just kinda did

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom