• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Final Fantasy XV's Lack of Female Protagonists

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
"Traditionally" is a bit too strong of a word to use, as there has been only a single instance in the main-series games with an single-gender cast, the aforementioned FFX-2 (I've not played many of the spin-offs, but I seriously doubt it's a different case there).

A precedent is there for sure, but it isn't a pattern; single-gender casts are not at all a regular thing in Final Fantasy. It's pretty much just a way to show to those Sarkeesian-esque types that Square has absolutely never favored one gender or the other when it comes to the vast majority of their Final Fantasy games, with the long exception of an all-female cast having a story driven reason behind it (Two of the four main male characters die at the end of FFX, the others become leaders/fathers of their respective villages).

As for FFXV inevitably going to be criticized due to today's gaming climate, I agree completely. It's just the way the industry works right now, unfortunately. I feel like the best way to handle it is for the true fans of the series to just point out the hypocrisy and move one.
I was going more for a "in general" thing and not in just Final Fantasy.
He's a hundred percent correct in his reasoning. Guys naturally muh **** around girls, whether implicitly or explicitly. It's not anecdote, it's biological imperative. By removing the female (or the male, as in FFX-2) you allow for realistic character writing that really wouldn't take place otherwise. You allow for jokes that won't be taken offensively because of the Bro Code™. You allow for a bond (between pixels, granted) that would not exist between opposite gender, or same sex couples. XV's cast is a team of bros, not lovers or childhood friends.
I am always questioning SJWs when they insist there are no biological differences, but this I question. I think it's entirely possible that mixed gender groups can do this just fine without any real difference or implied romance. (let us not forget that other sexualities exist, which completely negates that argument). Really it more so looks as an attempt to AVOID being accused of that, though. If it's all male, they can be just as immature and rude (in a friendly way) that real groups of close friends that would road trip together would be, any gender, without being criticized for being sexist against women if a joke or something is said by a man in the presence of a woman. As ridiculous as that notion is, it's something SJWs do all the time as one of their most frequent criticisms of media.

So I think I'm getting you, you're calling them out on the fact that they are choosing to do all males because if they didn't they'd have to justify a women fitting in the group without changing the perhaps dirty boy group dynamic that also includes a girl?

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
So I think I'm getting you, you're calling them out on the fact that they are choosing to do all males because if they didn't they'd have to justify a women fitting in the group without changing the perhaps dirty boy group dynamic that also includes a girl?
More or less. But like I said, this is less about me having an issue with it (as I'm more so indifferent) and more so convinced that the internet will have an issue with it. That's why I complained about the reasonings they give. Because in no circumstance is your typical SJW likes complaining about such things ever going to accept those explanations. It's more so... yeah I get your underlying meaning, but that is TOTALLY not what people are going to get from that and it really makes you look bad." It's a PR nightmare waiting to happen. Especially with all the demonization of men that is so popular these days.

More or less. But like I said, this is less about me having an issue with it (as I'm more so indifferent) and more so convinced that the internet will have an issue with it. That's why I complained about the reasonings they give. Because in no circumstance is your typical SJW likes complaining about such things ever going to accept those explanations. It's more so... yeah I get your underlying meaning, but that is TOTALLY not what people are going to get from that and it really makes you look bad." It's a PR nightmare waiting to happen. Especially with all the demonization of men that is so popular these days.
SJW's take issue with tons of stupid things, I typically gave up trying to reason with them. I'm sure there are people out there have an issue with just about everything. In this case, I don't think it will be many though.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
SJW's take issue with tons of stupid things, I typically gave up trying to reason with them. I'm sure there are people out there have an issue with just about everything. In this case, I don't think it will be many though.
Oh, absolutely there's no reasoning at all. But they can't simply be ignored since they hold a lot of influence. Like getting Austrailian Targets to stop selling GTA V.

Oh, absolutely there's no reasoning at all. But they can't simply be ignored since they hold a lot of influence. Like getting Austrailian Targets to stop selling GTA V.

Yeah that's why I said typically. If I think the movement is getting too powerful I will generally fight back (like Anita Sarkeesian). Most of the whiny individuals you can ignore, although if you remember my post on Blizzard's removal of that one female characters butt pose I guess all it takes is one person.

I think if theres a franchise out there that can get away with the lack of a female protagonist in one iteration is Final Fantasy. Its a franchise filled with strong female characters. The gender of protagonists should not be decided by an agenda, and they are free to carry on with their brohood vision with this game. They already had a sisterhood game for that matter.

I think if theres a franchise out there that can get away with the lack of a female protagonist in one iteration is Final Fantasy. Its a franchise filled with strong female characters. The gender of protagonists should not be decided by an agenda, and they are free to carry on with their brohood vision with this game. They already had a sisterhood game for that matter.
IMO opinion Resident Evil is also a great series of strong female protagonists, which never felt forced. Which is why I find it so annoying when they finally have one character with big exposed boobs everyone loses their minds.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
is this what feminism is now? since the whole "wage gap" thing is bs, and all their other problems affect both sexes, i guess all there is now is *****ing about a lack of girls in a video game

On the topic of girls and gaming, I wish I could see what it was like now in school to see if more girls actually legitimately played games compared to when I was growing up. I'm 32, and I never met a single gamer girl who was anything more than semi-casual. I'm guessing you younger folks see them a bit more often.

Hell finding PC gamers in my day was extremely rare as well.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
On the topic of girls and gaming, I wish I could see what it was like now in school to see if more girls actually legitimately played games compared to when I was growing up. I'm 32, and I never met a single gamer girl who was anything more than semi-casual. I'm guessing you younger folks see them a bit more often.
I'll get flack I know, but the climate isn't that different from when you were in school. Girls just don't play games, or if they do, it isn't to the extent that guys do. The ones that do play on the guy gamer tier are extremely rare, and even then you have two subsets: the actual girl gamer [you wouldn't know that they're a girl because they know it is completely irrelevant to their experience] and the LOOK AT MY BOOBS IM SO HOT XD GIBS DONATIONS twitch/stream/view whore [every girl gamer that you would know outside of your local tight knit group].

This is why SJcuckcrybabies are a non issue. They aren't fighting for anything except the idea that they fought for something. You'll never see them fight for the Great United States of America. You'll never see them fight for womens' rights in Saudi Arabia. You'll never see them fight against Boko Haram and Africa's ****ty countries. But you will always hear them whine and moan about WOW GUYS ARE PLAYING GAMES WOW WHY CAN'T GRILLS PLAY GAMES?!?!?! WOW I HAVE NO AGENCY ****LORD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom