• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Vocal Video Game Songs

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Some of you may remember that a few months ago I started a thread about 8-Bit video game soundtracks. Well, today I'd like to bring forth another type of theme: vocal themes. Songs with lyrics. What are some of your favorite? Some of your favorite lyrics?
As usual, I'll start of my list with turning to Sonic. "His World", despite being from a terrible game (Sonic 06), is an amazing song. I prefer Zebrahead's version over Crush 40, but both are really good. City Escape (Sonic Adventure 2) is another favorite of mine, particularly the Classic remix from Sonic Generations.
With Me (Sonic and the Black Knight) is another great. I once again prefer the Dark Queen version by All Ends over the Crush 40 version.
What bout y'all?

Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

My favourites in order are:

7. Dream Catcher
6. Give Me!
5. Feel
4. Fly
3. Maybe Friends, Maybe Lovers
2. Reincarnation
1. The Labrynth

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Um, where to start?

This Silence is Mine, from Drakengard 3
No Way Back/God and Man/My life, from God Eater
Rising Up/Journey's End, from Tales of Zestiria
Worlds Collide, from Final Fantasy XIII-2
If You Still Believe, from The Legend of Dragoon
Shall Never Surrender, from Devil May Cry 3[?]
Guide You Home, from Legend of Spyro 3: Dawn of the Dragon
Beyond the Sky, from Xenoblade Chronicles
Maybe Tomorrow, from Xenosaga Episode III

There're others, but it'd take all day to list them.

Pen

The game is on!
Most of the video games I play have only instrumental music so I don't have a whole lot to choose from when it comes to video game songs with lyrics. There are a couple of songs though and I wanna mention two of them here.

The first song that came to mind is Everything's Alright from the game To the Moon. This is probably one of the most sentimental songs I've ever heard and the scene in the game when it plays just becomes so much more powerful thanks to this song.

The second and last song that I wanna bring up is called The Parting Glass and it's sung at the very end of Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag by one of the main characters. I've done my research and learned that this song is an old parting song from about the 1600s or so, so it makes a lot of sense to hear it in this game. It's also very fitting for the occasion.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
My favourite would be Dragonborn (also known as Sons of Skyrim) from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Lyrics, translated to English:

Dragonborn, Dragonborn, by his honor is sworn,
To keep evil forever at bay!
And the fiercest foes rout when they hear triumph's shout,
Dragonborn, for your blessing we pray!

Hearken now, sons of snow, to an age, long ago,
And the tale, boldly told, of the one!
Who was kin to both wyrm, and the races of man,
With a power to rival the sun!

And the voice, he did wield, on that glorious field,
When great Tamriel shuddered with war!
Mighty Thu'um, like a blade, cut through enemies all,
As the Dragonborn issued his roar!

And the Scrolls have foretold, of black wings in the cold,
That when brothers wage war come unfurled!
Alduin, Bane of Kings, ancient shadow unbound,
With a hunger to swallow the world!

But a day, shall arise, when the dark dragon's lies,
Will be silenced forever and then!
Fair Skyrim will be free from foul Alduin's maw!
Dragonborn be the savior of men!

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I second "Sanctuary" from Kingdom Hearts.

The first song that came to mind is Everything's Alright from the game To the Moon. This is probably one of the most sentimental songs I've ever heard and the scene in the game when it plays just becomes so much more powerful thanks to this song.
That is not a game at all. Not even close. If you expect ant game like experiences here you'll be disappointed. It however is an interactive experience. An experience so emotional and so amazing.
You don't get fun from experiencing this. You get a (Chuck Norris) roundhouse kick directly in your feels. One of the only games (for lack of a more appropriate word) I've ever played that made me really feel differently than before I experienced it. The song does not really explain what the game is about (but once you've played it, it make total sense) and I can't really tell you because the story's imact would be lost.

Bastion is an average game this this track from it is quite good.

Pen

The game is on!
You don't get fun from experiencing this.

I'm very inclined to disagree with you on that actually. While To the Moon is indeed very straight forward and also extremely emotional, it's got lots of humorous and quirky (even silly) parts throughout it. I did get fun from experiencing To the Moon, and even though it's heavily story based, I still dare say it's got several parts that that make me wanna classify it as a "game".

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I mostly dislike songs with words in my games. There is just too much that can go wrong (I'm looking at you, every vocal track in Xenoblade X), but some are really nice. Someone mentioned "Simple and Clean" from Kingdom Hearts. It's funny, because when I first heard that song, I never knew it was from KH, and I've had it on my ipod for years. I love that song. It's really good.

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
One which often comes to mind is Toberu Mono from The Last Story. It's so serene and beautiful and an absolute joy to listen to. I think it is implemented marvelously well into the game and acts as both a sort of main theme for the game and for the romance. It's a shame that the game never really gained much attention, it's one of my favorites on the Wii.

Additionally, I haven't actually played the game, but most tracks from the original NieR OST are pretty dang breathtaking. Even more impressive is that they are sung in, from what I understand to be, a completely made-up language. But it sounds so passionate and good I wouldn't have even guessed that was the case.

If I recall any others I'll be sure to report back here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom