• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Type Of RPG?

Favorite Type Of RPG?

• Classic Turn-Based RPG

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Real-Time Action RPG

• Strategy RPG

• MMORPG

• MonsterMMORPG

• Other

• I do not care at all what the genre is.

• Hakuna Matata!

• Shut up.

• Total voters

Sheik

:the:
cor

What is your preferred sub-genre of RPG's (Role-Playing Games)? Is it the classic turn-based RPG (i.e. Pokemon)? The real-time action/adventure RPG (i.e. Xenoblade)? The Strategy RPG (i.e. Fire Emblem)? The MMO-style RPG (i.e. WoW)? Is it something else? Do you not care at all what the genre is? Tell Papa.

Salem

SICK
I like the hybrid type, like Baldur's gate, where it's seems action-RPGs but you can pause it to make your choices.

Last edited:

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I love rpgs, they are my favorite genre. :cool: I voted for Strategy Rpg, but classic turn-based is also something that I enjoy in a game. Honestly, they are almost the same, but with differences. Rpgs I have played during my lifetime so far are: Valkyrie Profile, Fire Emblem, Spectral Force 3, Ogre Battle, Record of Agarest War, Pokemon, if you count that series, and many more that I don't recall atm.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Action RPGs for sure; from ones where you control an entire party of heroes to just controlling 1 dude, they're usually my favorite of the genre. I like a good mix of RPG-elements and combat where I can put all those skills, levels, and equipment to the test!

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
I like strategy RPGs. It's like chess, but you get to move all your pieces in one move.

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
It would be a tough pick between classic turn-based and real-time action RPGs. Most of my memories and nostalgia - some over-glamorized - lie with turn based RPGs like Pokemon and Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (I had a somewhat late gaming start), which gave me tons of hours of enjoyment. At the same time, the only true RTA that I have played is Xenoblade Chronicles and that is my all-time favorite game. Then there are those "inbetweenies". I am talking about games like Final Fantasy V and Chrono Trigger that utilize an ATB Gauge. I'm not sure were those would fall.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I like strategy RPGs. It's like chess, but you get to move all your pieces in one move.

Exactly. Strategy RPGS give me some much time of enjoyment and make me see myself as some kind of commander who tells his forces what to do and then hope for the best when it comes to the enemy moving after my turn. :)

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I like all kinds of RPGs but I'm the best at Actions RPGs.

Fallout, Borderlands, Elder Scrolls, Fable. I just can't get tired of those games.

It would be a tough pick between classic turn-based and real-time action RPGs. Most of my memories and nostalgia - some over-glamorized - lie with turn based RPGs like Pokemon and Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (I had a somewhat late gaming start), which gave me tons of hours of enjoyment. At the same time, the only true RTA that I have played is Xenoblade Chronicles and that is my all-time favorite game. Then there are those "inbetweenies". I am talking about games like Final Fantasy V and Chrono Trigger that utilize an ATB Gauge. I'm not sure were those would fall.

ATB's would be turn-based, at least of the classical variety of ATBs, such as the two examples you've given.

D

Deleted member 14134

Action RPG's (Fallout) are my favorite but strategy is a close second.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Definitely action based, which is mainly down to one of my favourite gaming series', Fallout. Of course this series evolved from turn based, but let's be honest, most of it's aclaim came from its rebirth in 2008.

Anyway about the genre itself, I like the idea that you can do what you want, when you want and in whatever way you choose to do so. The sheer freedom gives you that real sense of adventure as you just set off and do as you please. Don't want to advance the main reason quest? Well that's fine, just go and level up first and search for valuable loot. Don't want to grind? Well you could always complete many of the fun optional side quests that usually come with most great western RPGs. I guess it's the variety as well. Sure a big selling point is the fact that you have the freedom to customise and mould your own adventure, but content and variety comes first in my opinion. You can literally get lost in grandeur of these massive overworlds and with so many quests and other miscellaneous tasks, the genre will have you playing for hours and hours and, well, hours. You certainly get your money's worth when you buy an RPG you're invested in.

The action part, which differentiates the sub-genre, also plays a big part. I've never really liked the slow paced patient sequences of turn based and strategy RPGs, I like the freedom to get involved in combat in whatever way I please. It just feels smoother in my opinion as if I can get my hands dirty in combat as well as choosing how I go about engaging an enemy.

Fig

The Altruist
I love all kinds of RPGs. It is simply a genre that I have always admired since I was very young. That said, I do believe my favorite kind of RPG is the classic-turn based RPG. There are many RPGs that hold a a spot in my heart for being so great and epic. These include Final Fantasy, Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem. They bring a lot of strategy in the game as your continue to progress onward, especially in Fire Emblem and [competitive] Pokemon. I love Xenoblade Chronicles and all, but I will have to go with the classic-turn based RPG simply because I have played more games within the genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom