• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Fav periodic table element

Hylian Viking

A modern day Hyrule warrior mean mean stride.
Copper.

It's not just the fact that it's a precious metal, I like it because it's electrically conductive and useful in electronics. It also has antibacterial properties that were actually useful in the past. Finally, it is also an essential nutrient.
I agree I also like Copper. It looks really beautiful when the metal is flamed under a gas flame it gives it a tremendous patina. I also like some of copper's alloys including Brass and Bronze. Copper also reminds me of dissecting old electronics and extracting copper wire and making huge wads of wire which were fun to bend and sculpt.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
do we mean like

the element in general (i.e. O for Oxygen and all elements that might have it; NO2, CO2, MgO)
or does it have to be substances with only that element (O2 for oxygen gas, O3 for ozone, etc)

for substances with only that element I'll probably say bismuth
that metal is cool as **** for no reason

fwrlywuzmex41.jpg

Carbon is pretty ****ing cool because of all shapes it can take (coal, graphite, grafene, diamond, etc)

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
It's hard to choose just one element so I'll name a few.

Nitrogen and oxygen are the main components of the air we breathe. I think a lot of people especially overlook nitrogen and incorrectly think air is primarily oxygen. Liquid nitrogen is also extremely useful for a variety of experiments.

I designed a really cool iodine lab in 2021 with the blue starch iodine complex being inhibited by amylase, and the degree of inhibition was measured using ImageJ so that's another element that gets my vote.

I see a lot of people in this thread already mentioned copper for its conductivity and as a nutrient. The cool colors of copper complexes are also a sight to behold like the blue of copper (II) sulfate.

Lastly, iron is another super important element both economically through all the things we produce that require iron and its biological role in the human body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom