• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
So, this movie is out this week. For those of you who don't know, it is set in the same world as Harry Potter, but in the USA, and in the 1920s.

I will say that personally, I disagree with calling it a 'prequel' as some people are, as it's a very different story. Obviously, the book 'Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them' is a textbook in the Harry Potter lexicon which details different magical creatures. This movie proclaims to be about a wizard setting creatures loose in New York and sparking a war between wizards and Muggles (or No-Maj's as they call them in the wizarding United States).

Anyway, enough rambling.

I wasn't that interested in seeing it until I saw the trailer (below), but now I am definitely planning to watch it almost as soon as it comes out.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I think it looks worth a watch, ^^, does look really good from the trailer but why is it anything of JKR's ends up centralized about a war between the magical and non-magical peeps?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'll be watching it as soon as I can. I am a big fan of the Harry Potter books and Films and am glad there are going to be five more set in the same universe. It will give me something else to get excited about each year or however long it takes between installments.

Beauts

I think it looks worth a watch, ^^, does look really good from the trailer but why is it anything of JKR's ends up centralized about a war between the magical and non-magical peeps?

Well technically, the war with Voldemort wasn't so much about the war against Muggles as it was a war between Voldemort and anyone who wasn't completely evil. He just wanted to rule the magical world and wipe out the Muggle one. I get the impression Fantastic Beasts' war is more that the Muggles want to wipe out the wizards. Also the war with Grindelward wasn't so much about wanting to destroy Muggles so much as rule over them "for the greater good" because wizards are supposedly superior. Grindelward is supposed to mimick Hitler after all.

Feverish

Source of stink
I think the series is a prequel to Harry Potter in a weird way. The series takes place over 19 years, and ends in 1945; Rowling said both Dumbledore and Grindlewald play a major role in the series, and Grindlewald was defeated by Dumbledore in 1945. It's a big part of Dumbledore's life, and a big part of the wizard in world overall.

Beauts

I think the series is a prequel to Harry Potter in a weird way. The series takes place over 19 years, and ends in 1945; Rowling said both Dumbledore and Grindlewald play a major role in the series, and Grindlewald was defeated by Dumbledore in 1945. It's a big part of Dumbledore's life, and a big part of the wizard in world overall.

Well, Rowling has long said that Dumbledore was in love with Grindelwald.

Fantastic Beasts and Doctor Strange are both on my must watch list. Sadly, I haven't been able to see either of them yet.

Well, Fantastic Beasts only comes out this week in the UK and US (don't know about anywhere else) so you have plenty of time

Salem

SICK
I watched it, it's a really good movie, I liked it. It has a nice mix of humor and action.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I'll be watching it as soon as I can. I am a big fan of the Harry Potter books and Films and am glad there are going to be five more set in the same universe. It will give me something else to get excited about each year or however long it takes between installments.
Huh. Yet another thing we have in common ya British Lug...

Lucky though, you get to have Harry Potter and Philosophers Stone, instead of us American peasants.

I am most likely seeing Fantastic Beasts next Friday, I'm excited to see it!

Reactions: Dio

Feverish

Source of stink
Well, Rowling has long said that Dumbledore was in love with Grindelwald
Yeah I only recently found out that Dumbledore was gay for Grindlewald, which I think is a really cool part of the HP universe and I wish I knew sooner

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Huh. Yet another thing we have in common ya British Lug...

Lucky though, you get to have Harry Potter and Philosophers Stone, instead of us American peasants.

I am most likely seeing Fantastic Beasts next Friday, I'm excited to see it!

You lot get the sucky Sorcerers Stone don't you?

Saw Fantastic Beasts today (well I suppose it is yesterday now as it is 12:49am as I write this reply) and was definitely pleased with what I saw. I'd say 8/10 but maybe 10/10 as a pug appears in the movie.

Beauts

Yeah I only recently found out that Dumbledore was gay for Grindlewald, which I think is a really cool part of the HP universe and I wish I knew sooner

JK Rowling revealed he was in love with Grindelwald after the release of the Deathly Hallows (the book, obviously, since the movies explain jack**** about Dumbledore), but she explained he was gay I think years before that but she never placed it in the story as she didn't feel it was relevant or something that Harry would find out, as of course the books are from Harry's perspective only.

Anyway, if you or anyone else has never read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows who might be interested in the full explanation/story:

Rita Skeeter wrote a biography about Dumbledore after he died, which explored the friendship between a young Dumbledore and a young Gellert Grindelwald, whose great-aunt was Bathilda Bagshot (who Nagini hid inside, which does feature in the movie when they go back to Godric's Hollow) and was a neighbour of the Dumbledore family. Anyway, the pair of them basically bonded over their interest in the Deathly Hallows, and planned to get them and use them to rule over the Muggles. Dumbledore pretty much only went along with it because he wanted to impress Grindelwald, who he loved, but his brother Aberforth was angry/horrified, especially as Dumbledore was meant to be looking after their younger sister, who had suffered trauma as a child so had never learnt to control her magic. Anyway, the three of them (Albus, Aberforth and Grindelwald) ended up duelling and they were never sure who actually killed Ariana Dumbledore. But that made Albus realise the lengths that Grindelwald would go to, so he saw the error of his ways. When he drank the potion to get to the locket Horcrux in Half-Blood Prince, he was forced to relive the memories of that duel. Obviously, eventually Dumbledore defeated Grindelwald, who was by then the master of the Elder Wand, one of the Deathly Hallows. That's how Dumbledore became the master of the Elder Wand. He locked Grindelwald up in his own prison and eventually Voldemort killed him when he came after him seeking the wand.

Anyway guys, today I just watched Fantastic Beasts and I really liked it. I'm not gonna spoil it here until sufficient time has passed for everybody who wants to see it to actually, but it's really good!

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
isn't JK Rowling a girl? idk tho ive never read the books what do I know lol
Why does it matter whether J.K. Rowling is a boy or a girl?

Also, just so you know, the books are far superior to the movies(even though the movies are really damn good).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom