• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art Evil of the Bog (A Chargewithsword Original Story) PG (Includes Two Old Drawings)

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
the_great_witch_of_the_swamp_by_firemariowii-d2wamkk.jpg

evil_of_the_bog__story_inside__by_firemariowii-d3b531n.jpg

---​

It was a beautiful day. The sun was beaming golden light down my head that morning. The warm breeze ploughed through my face as I held my hand down to the lute in front of me. Echoes of songs long past, and now here emitted from my voice as I let forth my spark of joy set in.

Many children sat before me, all drowned in my songs. Their eyes focused forward on the passing of notes and the movement of my body. I sung of adventure, and endless romance. Songs would come to their minds as the eves of fantasy and heightened glory.

As I finished another song, I received a boisterous amount of applause from the younglings. It was wonderful to hear them laugh and mimic my song. Their lightened faces shone with curiosity and a longing for more.

“Fair game now, fair game. I shall take another request before I am off.” Before I even finished my suggestion, hands were raised high to the sky. The younglings raised their heads and cheered to be picked.

My eyes slyly darted to the crowd as I searched with intent. It was easy enough to choose any child, but it was those that were too shy to raise their hands fully that had the best stories to tell. That’s when I noticed one female to the back holding her hand up so slightly and her head low to the floor. That was the one I wanted.

“You there; to the far back!” My voice traced itself through the crowd and reached her ears quick enough to make her jump.

“Give me your name, and what story you would like me to tell of!” The girl blushed a deep blue hue as she earned the eyes of those around her.

I could hear her voice crack on the inside as she squirmed in her seat. She struggled to look at me as I held my hands to my lute, ready to speak. Her breaths were unnaturally heavy as she closed her eyes in an attempt to speak.

“My name is Cindi sir.” To everyone it was but a whisper, but I could hear her voice clearly ringing with anticipation.

“I wo… I would… I would like to hear of Tamara sir!” This time she projected her voice far and sternly, realizing there was no turning back.

The others gasped upon hearing that dreaded name. I was even startled by the question myself, but at the same time I was eager. Never had I been allowed to mention a tale of her in the presence of children. Such a disgusting topic, but always one I was ready to take interest in. When I looked at the lass again I saw her being ridiculed by the peers around her, -speaking of mutants was a forbidden topic- but I would not have it.

“Hear now! I shall have no criticism! To each their own, no matter what they think of! Now, gather in close children. I shall tell you a tale, without music this time around, but with the power of my voice. It shall be a tale that will take you far to the south, in the dark pools of the Swamp of Sufferance. There you shall find the home of, Tamara, Witch of the Swamp. This is the story of how four children, much like yourselves, attempted to kill her. Hush, listen, and remember.”

It began on a hot midsummer's day, in a city down to the south known as, Eabull Horn. In that city lived four children: Hoen, Jin, Hopu, and Coer. They would spend ages concerning themselves with the world out yonder, and troubles that plagued it. Their hearts were knee deep in dreams of adventure and glory with hopes that, one day, they could all become great heroes, revered amongst Giant culture. Of course, being only children they could only do so much. They would often be given menial quests to accomplish, but that was as far as they could go under adult supervision. Still they waited, hoping to find the day when they would be able to prove their worth.

The opportunity would soon arrive when the children caught word of an evil witch to the south named Tamara. She was a renegade mutant who had been a plague on Giants for years. Her name was as feared as the magic around it. That such a person could inspire fear in Giants was astronomical, as such the person who would kill her would be justly rewarded for such.

The children, their hearts absorbed in delusions of grandeur, absolved to kill Tamara themselves. So, in the dead of the night, they stole themselves to the Swamp of Sufferance to the southeast.

They held to their path for twenty days and twenty nights, unsure of the path ahead. The next morning came and the Hoen, (being leader of the group), spotted a large brush to the distance. It was the Swamps of Sufferance!

Without concern for safety, the group ran towards it, with weapons raised. However, upon reaching the dark grove they stopped dead in their tracks. The black trees seemed to grow taller as they approached. Two especially large trees stood before them, their upper bows twisting together while their trunks were arced to form a gate-like shape. No matter how far they peered their eyes, the veil of darkness wouldn't rise.

A cold wind blew from the forest, chilling the children to their very bones. The air was foul as sin, and the soil uncomfortably moist. The trees were horrifyingly gnarled to the point they seemed like solidified smoke. Try as they might, the children could not find anything pleasant about this swamp.

Then, a smooth voice emerged from the darkness of the wood, ominously chanting, "Come inside my house children. You are welcome in my halls."

The four held their courage fast and went inside the darkened wood ready to face whatever awaited them. Step by step they ventured deeper and deeper, horribly unaware of the fading pathway behind them. Never had they been so uncomfortable being in any area. The gathering silence further solidified this disturbance one hundred-fold. Still they did not falter. With their heads raised high, they wandered through the silent bog.

Suddenly, the silence was disturbed by the sounds of another child's laugh somewhere out of sight. It was eerie but playful, echoing from all directions. Then, the children noticed the source of the laugh. It was a small mutant girl! Her hair was a light grey, and her skin a pale white. She wore a white dress with a red line crossing it on certain points. In her hand she held a small doll that was crudely stitched together.

"Hello, my named is Jain," she said so sweetly. "My mommy is waiting for you four."

The children quickly raised their weapons towards her with eyes lit with flame. Jain only laughed at them. She displayed no fear to them, only laughing with cold eyes looking down upon the children. Their spirits sank quite low towards this defiance but they stood their ground.

"I wouldn't kill me if I were you," Jain said. "Only I know how to walk in this forest. If you kill me you'll be lost here forever."
The children looked to one another worriedly. They didn't know what to think of what Jain said, but the thought of being lost in this forest for the rest of their lives chilled them to the bone. So they slowly lowered their weapons.

Jain smiled to them and said, "Very good, follow me."

The children followed as Jain led the way. For what seemed like hours they spent their time following her unsure of where she would lead them. They could hear the sounds of crying and moaning dotting the wood. As they continued on, the sounds seemed to grow, and by the time Jain told them they were close, the screams were everywhere.

Now you see, dear children, Jain was Tamara's daughter only in name. By blood she was a stranger to the womb. Still, Tamara considered Jain as much a daughter as anything and often gave her some of the more reliable tasks. It was her duty to drive others to Tamara in the heart of the swamp as the magic inside kept others forever lost inside. Jain enjoyed her tasks well enough, and loved to see the Giant's she led squirm in anxiety. So, to entertain herself she would recite disturbing riddles out loud. I believe one such riddle she would say was:

It trails you on a sunny day.
Surrounds you in the moonless night.
Consumes your eyes with death's decay,
and chills the growth to empty blight.

Now I am sure you all know the answer off the top of your little heads. It's dark of course, but these four children were quite nervous at this point and not in the comfort of their homes. They didn't know whether to take it as a curse or a threat, but they continued to follow Jain.

Suddenly, Coer felt something grab him by the leg, thrusting him downward. He looked to see that it was a small green creature with two yellow eyes. He made for his weapon -a spear if you are interested- and cut the thing. It let out a shriek as it quickly let go of him and fell into the water below. The others rushed to Coer, helping him up. Hopu then pointed to the distance. Hundreds, if not thousands, or yellow eyes were looking towards the children.

The children raised their weapons, ready to do battle when Jain casually said, "Don't bother; they can't die. Of course, you may want to be careful in case one grabs your necks. They don't let go unless struck."

The children looked towards Jain as she slowly walked away. They then proceeded to follow her, keeping their eyes open at all times in case those creatures stuck out of the water. Needless to say, they encountered no resistance to follow. Still, they couldn't help but notice the creatures; the sadness that was on their faces.

Soon the children would have bigger problems to come, though. They had just arrived at the center of the swamp. There they saw a large gnarled tree. It was bulbous in size, with only one opening serving as a door.

Jain skipped forward and merrily sang, "I'm home everyone! I've brought the new guests! Come say hi!"

How very soon did the glow of many eyes shine from the dark. Three were pale as the moon; looking down upon the children eagerly. The rest were all yellow with hints of evil grins plating them.

Then, the children looked to the tree to see a female figure step out of it. Her body was smoothly rounded as marble. Her hair were streaks of gold that hung from her head in a ragged fashion. And her attire was a violet two piece skirt attachment with a see through cape attached. It had to be her; Tamara!

She looked to the children and said with a grin, "Oh Jain, you are just divine. Four of them this time, how very lucky."
"Hold your tongue witch," said Jin, drawing her hammer. "Or I'll break it off!"

The other children proceeded to draw their own weapons. Now that they were here, there was no turning back. Still, much like Jain before, Tamara didn't even flinch. All she did was laugh at their feeble attempts to stand tall against her.

With annoyance building up inside him Hoen exclaimed, "Who do you-"

He caught off though, by Tamara suddenly yelling, "Silence!"

Tamara's voice had darkened to a tone unheard of. Her eyes flared red with anger. The very ground trembled before her as she screamed. The air stiffened and stumbled.

Then with great gusto, Tamara's voice boomed with the beat of a thousand drums, and the echoes of a clap of thunder! "I am Tamara! All that lays in my domain belongs to me! Long ago I was but another hapless mutant, but now I surge with power! I am power!"

Tamara let loose bolts of energy bursting through her hands. The stretched to the sides on an endless rampage. They tore through trees, rock, and earth. Soon both beams shot out of sight, with the sounds of their destruction still lingering in the echoes of the forest. Now don't catch this the wrong way; like any Giant those children were not frightened by this display. It was still impressive, and had them slightly nervous about confrontation strategies.

Tamara didn't stop there though, she continued screaming about the most unpleasant things. "My breath can chill the hottest flame! My arms burst with energy! The beats of my heart are the drums for doom! And my gaze, death!"

Her visage was stretched by her rage. Tendrils of fury still shook in the earth below. Then it all calmed as Tamara's expression softened to a wide smile. She slowly squinted her eyes towards the children as she walked to them.

As she did this she cooed slowly, "Of course, I am always there help others led astray. A beautiful obligation for one as fair as me don't you agree?"

Her body had smoothed, and her tone became normal again. It was almost as if the situation from before had never happened. The children didn't lower their guard though. They only raised their weapons as Tamara drew in closer.

Tamara still continued to say, "Now, you honestly can't believe that you can kill me; not the way you are now at least. Perhaps we can even this out."

Jin was the first to strike as Tamara approached. She lifted her spear to the air and charged Tamara. Tamara didn't dodge the strike, instead she caught the spear in her hands and laughed. With just a little breath she sent Jin flying back.

Tamara then raised her head and said, "Perhaps if you were willing, we could make a deal. Untold strength, speed, intelligence. Anything your little hearts desire to kill me, provided you pay me. Of course, if you don't want to take my deal then I understand. I'll just let Tyr guide you back to the swamp entrance so you can go home in failure."

This hit the children's pride hard. Tamara was treating them as jokes. They knew better than to trust a mutant's words, but something about hers was different. They were smooth and kindhearted, yet exaggerated and whimsical. It was almost as if there was magic in them, goading them to come closer. She was harsh, but heavenly at the same time.

Helas, this was Tamara's mischief, dear children. She was deep in the works of the lore to manipulation magic, allowing her to take who she wanted. In her domain was this magic at its strongest, and these foolish little children were ever so susceptible. They were so hot headed and entrenched in their ego that they felt themselves superior. The smiled to one another -poor foolish things- as they formed a plan to take advantage of this deal.

When the children lowered their weapons they looked to Tamara who smiled. With a flick of her wrist she materialized a golden contract and a pen to match. The contract slowly hovered to them, until landing in Hoen's hands.

The writing was as clear as the sun, reading:
I hereby grant Tamara, Witch of the Swamp, free reign to grant me power beyond any normal Giant child. By signing this, I am liable for all that is to come; no exceptions.

The children drew nearer to the contract, their hearts wrapped in greed. Quickly, they each fought over the pen as one by one they signed their names on the bottom of the slip. Then the contract flew back to Tamara, disappearing into her palm. She smiled at the children and began chanting an incantation. The children were all surrounded by a bleak pink light that held them tight within its grasp.

The children slowly began to change. They felt their strength turn and become new. Their muscles tightened, and their skin strained. Soon, they were released from the storm of light and left to look over their newfound power.

But, something felt wrong. The children didn't feel as strong as they had hoped. What sort of trickery was Tamara attempting to pull on them? They turned to her with scowling faces. Her face was wrapped with a sinister smirk, like the face of a victor in battle.

Hopu then cried, "What crock is this witch?!"

Tamara looked to them with an exaggerated grin and said, "I only did as promised. I gave you power beyond that of Giant children. Now you are adults by nature."

You are probably laughing at the foolishness of these children, but bear in mind what was going through their heads beforehand. In their position you would have been just as egotistic and foolhardy. It is the nature of children to long for more, which is why Tamara especially enjoys to prey on them. You'd best keep in mind what you would have done in their spot, but back to the story.

After boasting her victory, Tamara then said, "Now then, it's time for my fee. What I want from you is your stamina. I suggest you be punctual and pay me now."

Now, this was outrageous. The children were absolutely fuming by now. They had been tricked, and this mutant dared to charge them. Without warning, the children lunged to Tamara, weapons outstretched. Still with only one hand, Tamara stopped them mid-lunge and let them fall to the ground.

"Fools," she said. "You attempt to attack me when my magic flows through you. All that fall under my taint belong to me. Still, I do not control your minds, so I'm afraid that if you refuse to pay me proper, I'm going to have to take something else!"

Tamara raised her hands and began to chant once more. This time the children were being enveloped by a golden swirl. It was fast and constricting, holding everything down but their mouths. They screamed with all the power within their lungs, echoing throughout the swamp, but never reaching any farther. Their world began to change, and all thought gave way to pain...

For the next few days, their parents would search night and day for their children, but they never found trace. They waited by their doors, hoping for return, but the children never did. For the rest of their lives, these adults could only be comforted by the memories of those days gone by, ever unaware of what had become of their children.

Consumed by greed and ego, they had earned their just reward. Never to leave that cursed swamp for the eternity. Remember. Listen. Hush...

Author's Comment: The story of Tamara was inspired by old movies I used to watch as a child, mostly the Little Mermaid. Her design was based off Akira Toriyama style at first, until I slowly adapted my own design later on. Now, this story, actually started out very different. You are very lucky that you'll see this, for this work down here is the story in its original form, when my prose was less formal, and I had no other stories to tell.​

A Poor Child's Sentence​

Life begins and ends with a whimper. That is my saying, for I always found even the loudest cry of a child to be but a small squeak when compared to the cries of millions and at death, little to no one cares for you.
So, I consider my civic duty to provide for these poor unfortunate souls. They long for better and I give them that. There is nothing wrong with that, but alas, there are always few who give complaint for no reason but that my views attack theirs. But despite these attacks I find myself to be a fine saint.
For instance, let me recite the tale of my first real customer; a girl named Cinde Hiu. She was a brown-haired, slender, and fair child of thirty-two. Her plight had been a pitiful one indeed. For you see, she was once the favored child of a family of three until the fateful day she had a sister.
As the years passed, the spotlight would slowly shift until finally dropping down onto Cinde's sister. And as this transition went underway, Cinde's hatred for her sister rose. However, she kept her composure in hopes of being able to regain the attention that she longed for. But try and try again, Cinde would, and her sister would always be one step ahead of her.
Poor Cinde's situation was growing grimmer by the day, but she held it in. Then at last came a day that Cinde had been waiting for since infancy. It was the day that the Mystigma army recruits were scouting for optimal soldiers. This was the thing that Cinde had always dreamed of; for if she was recruited into the army she would be able to take the spotlight back for herself. But when the time came, the scout simply shrugged her off and gave his eye to Cinde's sister.
Now without question, Cinde snapped and ran deep into the forest. Once she was far enough, Cinde burst into tears. But still, no matter how long she cried, none paid her a thought. Only I, Tamara, daughter of Hereo, and Witch of the Woods, ever gave her heed.
I was drawn to her suffering and was willing to grant aid. So I sent my three associates to bring her to me. Each one was a specialist in her craft. There was Shandra, a former thief and beggar until I gave her an offer she wouldn't refuse. Then came Tyr, a young girl of only fourteen whom I had adopted after she was abandoned (by her parents no doubt) in my domain. Next came Marcusien, an eely child who I found stealing from my house one day; however, I was quite impressed by his stealth and so I "employed" him to my service. And finally came Jain, a girl of pure innocence and unmistakable charm.
But back to my story; I sent my convoys to bring the girl to me. They leeched their way to her, and granted her company in that lone wood. Then I came into their conversation a beacon of hope in a stormy night. Nonetheless, when the offer to take her to me was made, Cinde agreed quickly.
My associates brought her to me with quick ease. Once at my hut, I came down to her with an offer she couldn't refuse.
"Dear child," I cooed. "I hope do not find this rude. But I've been watching you for some time. I know what ails you."
"If you do then maybe you could help me!" she begged with a delightfully angellic voice.
"Calm yourself," I shushed. "It is true, I can do this. It's a simple matter of what to do my dear. Your sister is the cause of your pain. So what else is there to do but to, KILL YOUR SISTER!"
"K-kill her?!" whimpered Cinde.
Knowing she was growing skeptical, I decided provide a logical explanation for my suggestion, "Come now my dear, what has your sister done for you that would deserve any better. Was it not her who stole the attention of your parents from you?"
"Yes…" She replied with a small sneer.
"Was it not her who stole your chance at getting into the army?" I continued. "Yes." She replied once more with her face tightening.
Noticing her weakening, I decided to open her fully with a harsh comment, "And was it not her who robbed you of any chance to amount of more than a tavern maiden?"
That was when she snapped, unleashing her fury in a great shout, "YES! You've made your point very clear. What tools could you grant me to kill her without my parents knowing?"
"That is simple my dear," I replied. "You need a simple knife and a good plan, but not even that can help you acquire the goal you seek. For if your sister died, she would be the subject of grieving from your family for years to come. However, I have a tool of great power that could achieve what you want. It is known as the Anem Dagger, a weapon that, when directed at a particular person, will have everyone (aside from the dagger wielder) forget their existance."
At the mere sound of the idea, Cinde's eyes lit up with a great fire. She couldn't contain what great excitement she had for the idea. A chance to finally be rid of the cause of her suffering. Without a care, Cinde jumped to me and hugged me with glee, (much to the chagrin of my minions) but I stood still and softly stroked her head as if she was my own child.
Then, after a short minute, I spoke, "My dear, though I can grant you this weapon, I must be able to charge it with the mystical energies that it had lost long ago."
"W-what do you mean?" She stuttered, not knowing what to think of my explanation.
"Oh don't worry my child." I assured her. "That is a problem easily dealt with. Now you see I have this spell, which I acquired a few years back from two boys willing to share their information with me. This particular spell will grant me magic powerful enough to recharge the dagger. Of course, it does require something from you in order to have it fully work."
"What do you need?" She said with hesitation.
I then stated, "In this situation I will need your common sense until the end of the day."
"M-my common sense?!" She stuttered.
Not giving her a chance to say more, I stated, "It is only until the end of the day,

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Since this has no story of its own, and is connected to Tamara, I shall post this here. The short history of Seidoc, the wife of Match.

seidoc__s_grove_by_firemariowii-d31axn1.jpg

If you are wondering whom Seidoc is, she is a 36 year old girl, but in dwarrow years. In Human years, she would be the equivalent of a three year old. She had been kidnapped from home by the demons of Tamara and brought to work as a slave to her.

The problem is, she was one of those "past quota" and was given a special treatment to be part of Tamara's experiments. Naturally, she would be testing a new formula for spreading her aura around the world.

When Tamara dumped Seidoc into a pool of the stuff, in a grove outside the forest, she watched as the poor wretch writhed in seething agony. Seidoc's body twisted and shaped in different ways. She grew unnaturally tall, and the more earthy part of her body began to pull themselves out in the form of crystalline.

Nevertheless, Tamara considered it to be a successful experiment and left Seidoc there to rot. To make matters worse, she placed a terrible curse on Seidoc, she and all others under her influence could never leave the grove, that she could never kill herself, and that she couldn't tell others to kill her.

So now this poor girl wanders the dark grove everyday, driven to madness and gibbersh. That is, until the day, when two of the most unlikely strangers came to her.

They were the Sajor brothers, Lan and Match Sajor.

They came to Seidoc's grove by haphazard chance; they were on an expedition for roots and herbs when Match felt drawn by the darkness within the grove. Needless to say, he went inside, and his brother followed not too far behind. However, Match came to run into Seidoc and was poisoned by her touch.

She was however, attracted to him and he, her (though he wasn't fully conscious at the time).

Lan noticed his brother was in pain, and stole him away from the dark grove using all the power within him, and leaving Seidoc behind to weep.

Match eventually recovered from his poison. But after being roused from his sleep, he felt a fire awaken in him/ A great desire to help Seidoc, and cure her to whatever extent he could.

After many trials, and grueling adventures of the most unpleasant sort, he found something similar to a cure her of part of her curse.

Seidoc's touch no longer harmed others, and she was free to roam wherever she pleased. The moment she was given that opportunity though, she ran up and kissed Match, and he did so back. They fell in love and lived many long years together as a betrothed couple, living in relative peace -by giant standards-

But their peace was still uneasy, for both Match and Seidoc kept in curious watch for whatever tidings came from the Swamps of Sufferance, for they feared Tamara. They felt that she would come and take them away from each other. Even stout Match was unnerved by Tamara's power -a horrible side effect of the curse he endured.- So they watched and waited, praying that each day would go smoothly, and without conflict, from her...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom