• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Emotional flower

Dan

I don't know if I've told any of you guys this but deep down I'm a sensitive flower. The thing is however I feel that my emotion is often in the wrong place, for example I can often become slightly attached to a person or animal yet once they have passed away or exit from my life I don't feel too much, yes I'm a little sad but no where near the amount I feel I should be. I can become super emotional to the point of(and I know I'll regret admitting this) nearly crying whilst watching emotional moments in television and games, same situation for books too. I'm aware the moments I described above are tailored to produce such an emotional output but I feel it a little discouraging if not a little troublesome that I can't get as emotional over real events in life.

Is there something wrong with me? I would post this in life advice but I've found doing so is akin to talking to a brick wall, you just don't get results in that section. So I'm posting in general discussion instead since it can be seen as general discussion anyway.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
In books, you are told what emotions the characters are feeling, or its easy to judge based on the description of actions. In film and tv the musical score changes based on what you are supposed to feel, and the emotions are somewhat exaggerated, so perhaps it is easier for you to identify with.

Do you have Asbergers at all, this kind of thing you describe can be common with the condition.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

This happens to a lot of people, you get more of an emotional reaction from fiction than real life, could it stem from detachment?
Yeah I'm not too sure if it's common among most people to feel the way I do which is why I was sort of hoping to see what others felt about the above. I don't ever feel much attachment to people and it wouldn't bother me if I never saw the majority of people in my life again.

In books, you are told what emotions the characters are feeling, or its easy to judge based on the description of actions. In film and tv the musical score changes based on what you are supposed to feel, and the emotions are somewhat exaggerated, so perhaps it is easier for you to identify with.

Do you have Asbergers at all, this kind of thing you describe can be common with the condition.
I don't have any mental illness what so ever.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
I doubt this is any medical condition, I just think that when faced with reality, you (like all of us) just put a wall to shield yourself from being harmed emotionally. However, when faced with a work of fiction, like a video game or movie, you let your guard down, and become capable to cry or something like that.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I'm the same way, too, Dan. I think Salem and Kenshin are right, and it may have something to do with keeping walls up to protect yourself in real life, while allowing your walls to come down temporarily for fiction that doesn't necessarily effect your real life and relationships.

Dan

I doubt this is any medical condition, I just think that when faced with reality, you (like all of us) just put a wall to shield yourself from being harmed emotionally. However, when faced with a work of fiction, like a video game or movie, you let your guard down, and become capable to cry or something like that.
I never really thought of it that way, you may be right, thanks.

@Dan

It's normal. Some people are naturally just more sensitive. I'm very sensitive which was made worse with low self esteem because of bullying and family issues. I used to cry alot and flew off the wall, even with friendly teasing and constructive criticism.

People like you and me sometimes need a buffer, so we don't get overwhelmed.

I hide some of my hurt by being far less sociable and sarcasctic and I do meditation and breathing exercises so I can calm myself down and not always freak out when I'm angry or depressed.

It's just part of who you are. How much you let your emotions control your reactions, is up to you though.

Reactions: Dan

2MooglesGaming

More fun than a bag of Kupo Nuts!
Definitely nothing wrong, as far as we're concerned. Emotions are complicated stuff, it's hard to ever really understand them. Media is definitely designed to bring out specific feelings in us, and sometimes that makes it easier to relate and get in touch with other pent up emotions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom