• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Elden Ring

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
chevy plays minecraft at 12 fps or something
latest and greatest, no, but preferably something from this decade I think
Guilty as charged. A nice-ish computer is something I intend to buy sometime, I'm probably gonna prioritize it over a 3DS at this point. This is just more motivation I guess.

I’m one of few who would prefer Fromsoft do something a bit different. I mean, if it’s going to be this close to Dark Souls, why not just say it’s the fourth one? Still looks good enough that I want to get it, but I enjoyed the settings and stories much more in both Bloodborne and Sekiro, and would love if they did another Metal Wolf Chaos. Unfortunately it seems the unwarranted backlash to Sekiro not being yet another RPG has put them into a corner as far as creative freedom goes.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
Hey y'all
I decided that since elden ring is likely gonna bring a lot of new players into the fromsoft library, a few beginner tips for your first fromsoft game would be in swell order

First and most important, don't give up, skeleton. Fromsoft games always have a tough learning curve, but if you can persevere you'll be glad you did, I promise. It was always worth it in the end.

Second, if it's too hard, come back later. There's no shame in admitting that you can't do something yet, and if you're getting frustrated with running into a brick wall, stop and consider if you're really improving or just forcing yourself to be miserable.

Third, there is no wrong way. Don't be afraid to blaze a trail. Sure, you might accidentally run into a boss, but you'll accidentally run into it later if you save the path for later anyway.

Fourth, experiment with things. Try out different weapons, use new consumables, test out systems. If you're afraid to do something irrevocable, it's okay to Google things, sometimes. In my experience, messing with something I didn't understand in previous souls games caused me to understand it at a slight material cost.

Fifth, work smart, not hard. Most bosses have weaknesses. If you're doing ridiculously peanut damage, it may be time to try a different type of weapon, or use buffs, or look for hints in your surroundings.

Sixth, you must be patient. Aggressive wanton behavior will almost never go unpunished. Wait for your chance, then strike! Mindless flailing will get you killed, just like in real life.

And seventh, you'll get out of it what you put in. If you decide it's too hard and have some internet friends cruise through the game for you, chances are you won't find it all that much fun. If an adventuring party is what you want, then that's great. At the end of the day, it's a game, so make sure you're having fun.

Played some Elden Ring this evening. Felt like BOTW. Had my naked wretch character coming out of what felt like a shrine of resurrection style cave (though like a mini-dungeon with plenty of enemies and beautiful underground cavernous setting) and out into the wild. I feel naked and vulnerable and unequipped just like I did playing BOTW 5 years ago around this time. This is going to be my game to get back into the mindset for BOTW2 without having to replay BOTW 1.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
I spent my first five or six hours exploring the fringe folk's tomb or whatever its called, most of which was spent unsuccessfully throwing myself against the boss. I did get it to around half life a few times. I might come back when I find a decent weapon. I think I fully explored everywhere I could get to. I beat the special knight at the one dead end (or rather, the rolly boy killed him for me) but wasn't able to get past the fire jet with the gargoyle looking fellas. It seems to want you to dive into the alcove but no matter how i tried i couldn't get there without getting hit. I'll consider trying that avenue more when defeating the gargoyle guards in front of it isn't as much of a challenge.

For now I think i'm ready to leave. I got a cool red hand tattoo and some runes out of my endeavors and thats good enough for me.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
to access the area you need to put the sword-key into the double gargoyle statue near the tutorial cave. I don't know if you get the sword keys naturally or if you can only get them as a starting gift but if its the latter and you didn't take that one it would explain why you haven't been there

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom