• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dragon Quest XI Coming to Nintendo NX

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
yawn. the only metroid games i really enjoyed were the original and fusion. missing a third galaxy game won't keep me up at night.

tell you what. you're so desperate to convince me nintendo is a good company, buy me an NX. I've gotten to the point in my life where loyalty has to be earned. especially from a megagiant corporation that i have no ties to other than nostalgia.
I was more addressing Spirit. And like I said. Good bye. Just do me a favor, don't go trolling when you see the NX doing really well and has amazing games.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I was more addressing Spirit. And like I said. Good bye. Just do me a favor, don't go trolling when you see the NX doing really well and has amazing games.

sure. that's why you kept quoting my posts. i was venting my frustration. you're the one who thundered in with "bUt NiNtEnDo Is So GrEaT aT BuSiNeSs!1!"

i don't give two ****s about how well the nx does good or bad. it would take some really sad **** to get worked up over the sales of a console they don't play.

First is that the NX is comparable in power to the PS4
We don't know this. I would say it says the NX might be as powerful or better than the PS4. We don't know if they'll use any tricks to make the game better suited for the NX hardware.

Second, that Nintendo is actually trying to win back third parties
I can agree on this.

Third, is RIP Wii U, it is going to have a terrible death of which it will get ignored by Nintendo.
RIP WiiU as hardware. But WiiU games will still be made that can be played on the NX. Nintendo have said the NX will not stop their support of the WiiU and 3DS development.

Fourth, Zelda U is definitely going to be multiplat.
I think it could be a TP. It's looking more and more likely. Or it could be a NX launch exclusive.

Fifth, if they can get SE about the idea of their console, it has to be a pretty good idea.
I can agree.

Sixth. That $300 we all payed for Wii U's could have very well been a waste of money.
Disagree. The WiiU is still great today as it was before.

In other words, things are looking absolutely fantastic for NX but absolutely terrible for Wii U.
No it's not. The WiiU is still solid. The smart people who are on the fence will not buy a WiiU and and just wait for the NX. The WiiU as hardware I think will slowly die. But the WiiU as a development platform will keep going on. As in WiiU games being made now will still be good and be able to be played on the WiiU and NX.

I am assuming the NX will have native WiiU support. Only speculation at this point but I think it's really needed based on what Nintendo have said.

Do you really blame Nintendo for trying to move on?
No one would buy Wii U's, it was an underpowered system that no one wanted to make games for, it had a terrible gimmick that was either intrusive or lackluster within it's games, and they tried to go to the casual market again.

All of these things were the fault of the Wii's success, so I may not be happy. Nor are you, we should just be happy that Nintendo is learning to give what its fans actually want from a system.
  • No conselling game at launch
  • For the first year or two Nintendo abandoned their main target audiences as they wanted to reachout to more hardcore gamers. A failed idea because all the people Nintendo wanted were all SOny/MS fans and were never going to buy Nintendo hardware.
  • Not advertising the WiiU hardware features well enough and having the good games with these features done well till much later on.
  • To long before console selling games were released.
These were the main reasons why the WiiU failed initially. Nothing to do with lower power hardware or the hardware being gimmicky (which it was not).

Wow, cool. You named like 15 games (some of which i barely consider passable and wouldn't buy for more than $10). Is that how low we've sunk? that we're cool with a console putting out a dozen decent games in it's lifespan? That's not a decent run. it sucks.

A dozen very good games on a console to me is a success. That's only the on disc side of things. The eShop has a lot of great idie titles there too worth buying.
This is the point i'm trying to make. they haven't learned from their mistakes. assuming the NX is as powerful as the ps4 they're still three years behind the current generation.
Nintendo is not years behind the PS4 and XB1. This is because Nintendo is not directly competing with those two. You could say in terms of game control methods the PS4 and XB1 are still three years behind the current generation ie Nintendo control innovations (Wiimote and gamepad). We don't know if Nintendo is learning from it's past mistakes or not. The past mistakes are not hardware related. They are software and PR related. No console sellimg game at WiiU launch. No must have game really selling the gamepad. Not enough PR work and advertising selling off the gamepad as the must have thing.

I'm got having a go at any of you personally. You all seem like really nice people. I'm just saying we agree to disagree on a few points. It may sound a little harsh but I mean no disrespect at all. It's great we can share our differing opinions here.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
at this point the wii u is as good as done,im almost glad i haven't gotten one yet as only two games are still making me look at it,everything else i could live w/o
and if at least one more game gets announced for nx,the wii u is completely done,and i know nintendo said they'll keep supporting it after the nx comes out,but i am telling you right now nintendo are a bunch of liars
they dropped support for the gamecube and wii like RIGHT as their successors came,even though their successors were backwards compatible,the wii u is guaranteed to follow this trend

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
There are way too many assumptions in this thread. We don't even know if the NX will be a console in the traditional sense of the word. There have been recent rumors that the NX could be Nintendo's take on virtual reality: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._vr_platform_claims_analyst_firm_digi-capital

As someone who bought a Wii U at launch, I've been more than satisfied with my purchase. One thing I disliked about the Wii is that it had so few Nintendo franchises represented. Nintendo has dug deeper with the Wii U by bringing back the likes of Pikmin and Starfox, while introducing Splatoon.

The thing that's bit Nintendo in the back is the timing of their hardware releases. Like the N64, the Wii U is a good idea. Except in this case, it's not the software format that has resulted in poor sales, but the controller and poor marketing. Unfortunately, the GamePad is a few years too late of when a second screen on a controller would have been revolutionary. It now seems clunky compared to a tablet.

Also, the way Nintendo presented the Wii U at E3 2011 was unacceptable. For reference, here is the original trailer: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg. Nintendo focused on the GamePad, then dubbed the "new controller", instead of the actual console box. It's downright confusing coming from Nintendo itself when the late Satoru Iwata cleverly pulled a Wii out of his coat pocket just a generation prior.

Even though I'm satisfied with this console generation by Nintendo, I understand I'm in the minority, as reflected by the Wii U's sales. It's good to know that the first game announced for the NX is from a high profile franchise, at the very least. If the NX is the Wii U's successor, I hope Nintendo realizes that a stand out launch title is a must. If this means delaying Zelda Wii U, so be it. Personally, I want my dream of an official Pokémon MMORPG fully realized.

There are way too many assumptions in this thread. We don't even know if the NX will be a console in the traditional sense of the word. There have been recent rumors that the NX could be Nintendo's take on virtual reality: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._vr_platform_claims_analyst_firm_digi-capital

Exactly. We don't even know what the NX is. Isn't the same game getting ported to portables as well?

For all we know, the "NX" could be Nintendo getting together with Microsoft and making a machine that plays both Nintendo and Xbox games. Sound silly? Well, so does most speculation about this system. We simply do not know what this system is, and we don't even have enough proof to make a half-decent speculation.

Besides, the doom and gloom is pointless because whatever it is we'll all buy it anyway.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
If the NX really replaces the Wii U (which looks likely, despite whatever Nintendo has said about it not affecting the Wii U (they said that about the DS vs GBA as well, and look what happened — the DS replaced the GB platform)), then I will join @Curmudgeon in being done with Nintendo hardware. Yes, I think the Wii U has been a phenomenal console. One of my all-time favorites. But when you're telling me you're releasing the Wii U's replacement (again, regardless of what they've said, it sure feels like it's replacing it) 4 years into the console's life? That's a slap in the face to the consumer, I don't care how poorly the Wii U has done, you are loyal to your consumers and you stick it out until the bitter end.

I hate to think that the Wii U's last good game is going to be Xenoblade X. The way they're talking about it, why even bother? FE x SMT doesn't come out until next year. Why bother at this point? They're cutting the Wii U short, and in doing so, they are screwing their customers. Many of them, like me, who haven't even had the console for a full year yet.

Then again, we really do know nothing about this thing, and maybe it won't be as bad as we think. But there's nothing that will keep me buying Nintendo, no matter how hardcore of a Nintendo fanboy I am (and I am one, and I'll gladly admit it), if they do what we all think they're doing: cutting the life of the current console short and releasing a stop-gap machine, and expecting everyone to just say "Oh ok," and go along with it. NO. Not happening. I'll get a PS4 before I get the NX.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Exactly. We don't even know what the NX is. Isn't the same game getting ported to portables as well?

For all we know, the "NX" could be Nintendo getting together with Microsoft and making a machine that plays both Nintendo and Xbox games. Sound silly? Well, so does most speculation about this system. We simply do not know what this system is, and we don't even have enough proof to make a half-decent speculation.

Besides, the doom and gloom is pointless because whatever it is we'll all buy it anyway.
Actually, that is incorrect. We know quite a bit about the NX. We know from prior interviews that the NX is a home console system. We know that it isn't a VR system.

We also know that NX will be able to run Unreal Engine 4(something Wii U can't do), and that SE is supporting it close to launch. That is quite a bit of info right there.

Yes, but what is it? Okay, developers are supporting it...but that tells us nothing of the hardware, or even what the system's deal is. We don't know what guts it has. We know *some* things it can do, but we don't know what it will do *with* them.

This is Nintendo we're talking about here. Nintendo has been known for what I can only describe as "in between" hardware releases. Situations in which it is *not* significantly different hardware, but the existing hardware with extra features. Nintendo has done this almost excessively with the DS, which has netted them an enormous amount of console sales.

I'm not saying I know anything... I'm just saying that no one knows anything unless they work for Nintendo.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Yes, but what is it? Okay, developers are supporting it...but that tells us nothing of the hardware, or even what the system's deal is. We don't know what guts it has. We know *some* things it can do, but we don't know what it will do *with* them.

This is Nintendo we're talking about here. Nintendo has been known for what I can only describe as "in between" hardware releases. Situations in which it is *not* significantly different hardware, but the existing hardware with extra features. Nintendo has done this almost excessively with the DS, which has netted them an enormous amount of console sales.

I'm not saying I know anything... I'm just saying that no one knows anything unless they work for Nintendo.
We don't know what it is. But we do know it is definitely way more powerful than the Wii U, and is similar in power to PS4 and XBOne.
Wii U would never be able to run Unreal Engine 4, and only PS4 and XBOne can in regards to current consoles. That is reason enough that it is a new system. Furthermore, do you really think Square Enix would support a "New Wii U?"
They do not support Nintendo consoles unless the system sells well. We have seen this time and time again, and it is very apparent through its huge support of 3DS, and lack of support with Wii U. Square would never bank on a Wii system. They are most of all, business men.
I am just saying this, because yeah. We do not know what gimmick it may be, we do not know the exact specs. We know it is similar in power to PS4, and XBOne however. And that Square Enix has almost complete confidence in the system. That really has to count for something.

Square has always been back and forth on consoles. What they can't render live, they'll put prerendered cutscenes for.

The Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2, and which of the two consoles did Square support? There ya go.

I'm just holding out until we have something tangible. Trying to speculate seems to be making people more angry and frustrated than excited, and I'm just trying to take the reserved approach for that sake. The support of game developers doesn't really mean anything in terms of system power. Nor does a game engine necessarily. (Which can be re-written to handle different specs and hardware. Cryengine and Unity come to mind.)

We know Nintendo wants to get into PC and phones. Maybe not making them, but developing for them. We know that the NX is supposedly something entirely new for Nintendo, which could mean any number of things, and we know they're trying to have a unified service handling all their online devices, which will include WiiU and the 3DS. Whatever the future brings, for the time being Nintendo does not intend for the NX to replace the WiiU in any form, and does not seem to consider it the same type of console. (That could change, as it has in the past, but they've made their goals and intentions clear here.)

What could possibly coexist with the other two?

Oddly enough, my joke about a real life "Wii60" seems to fit the bill more than most speculations on the matter... (Still not a serious speculation, but it's something I could see happening.)

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I'm talking sales, not popularity. In which SE has much confidence that it will sell. The PS2 sold more than GameCube, plus it didn't have any crippling disk limitations for Squares CGI and stuff.

I also highly doubt SE would rewrite an entire engine as well, just for a release. This is SE we are talking about.
We know it's a home console.

We know that Retro wants to make a Prime game for it.

I'm pretty sure this is a new console, with way better specs than Wii U. All evidence points to that. We know it runs Unreal 4, so it's at least moderately powerful, and we also know SE thinks it will sell well, and that they like the NX. We have no idea what the gimmick is, but we know it's the next home console. That third pillar bs is just so they can sell some more Wii U's before they kill it off. Just like with the DS and Gameboy Advance. Hey, though. They might support the Wii U still... But I kind of doubt it considering Nintendo's recent history. The best I can hope for for that case, is a huge discount on NX for Wii U owners and an ambassador program.

I really don't want Wii U to die either, but I am looking at the facts that we know. Nintendo may surprise us, yes. But things are looking pretty grim for Wii U. Especially since this years bad E3, and their refusal to talk about the one Wii U game that is coming after "early 2016".

With the whole Iwata thing, I get the feeling Nintendo had more on their plate than we knew at the time and wanted to keep announcements in the short term because of that.

This isn't really about not wanting a console to "die". Whatever it is, we'll probably all buy it anyway. I just find it unlikely that Nintendo would ditch a console entirely after only 4 years, especially when they're supposedly pleased with the sales.

On top of everything else, this article here gives an interesting perspective:

http://www.examiner.com/article/nin...e-timing-and-reasoning-behind-nx-announcement

Taken as literally as possible, it sounds like Nintendo only announced they were working on the NX so that people wouldn't get the wrong idea about them developing for things other than their own consoles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom