• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
doom_eternal_4K_art-2060x1159.jpg

Rip and tear until it is done.

On March 20th, the fifth-ish Doom game released to everything except the Switch (which they assure us is coming later, despite the publisher not going out of its way to make the delay well-known). It's about looking badass, killing demons, and nonchalantly reacting to hell invading the material world. I've been playing the heck out of it since its midnight release on the 20th. I've finished the campaign, unlocked all cheat codes, unlocked Ultimate Doom and Doom 2, and maxed out the Praetor Suit.

In spite of that, I don't think the game is quite as good as Doom 4. I don't like that a lot of cutscenes now take place in third person as opposed to the strictly first person story of the previous game. And the campaign just kind of ends unceremoniously on what felt like an underwhelming boss fight.

But despite some qualms, Eternal is still a great game. I'm glad we're starting to move away from that horrible era of first person shooters in the 2000s where they were all brown, slow garbage.

What do you guys think of the game so far?

Digital Foundry thinks the game is technically amazing.
I agree with them.

I'm glad we're starting to move away from that horrible era of first person shooters in the 2000s where they were all brown, slow garbage.
The sad thing is first person shooters of the 90's were really colourful, fun and each one was so different from each other. Even the DOOM clones tried to have a point of difference. But as you correctly said the 2000's shooters were just the same cover shooters with the only 3 colours in game being brown, black and muzzle flash. DOOM 3 suffers from all these flaws also.

DOOM Eternal (more so than DOOM 2016) really moves away from this and it's pretty colourful and really well done. Honestly though not perfect, I'd recommend it to every FPS fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom