• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does the Future Scare You at All?

cthuluhu

nine arts dragon
Does it? Why or why not?

Personally, I'm terrified about the future, and I only became aware of it when our socials teacher asked us to predict what the next world war could be about. I wrote about many things, like biomechanics, cloning, the battle for resources, etc. and afterwards we talked some more about revolution and such.
BUT-
Anything could happen in the future, and the unknown is scary, I find.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I see the future as a bunch of challenges waiting to be mastered. In that way life can be compared to a video game. You are met with challenges that seem grueling at the time, and then you figure it out and you gain another skill. So far my experience has been that something happens, and it's stressful right there and then, but in one way or another you find a solution for the problem, and in retrospect it ends up feeling like a less of an ordeal than you thought just as things were happening.

I think it's scarier before you take those steps into the adult world, because those are the biggest changes you go through - learning to find and maintain a job, keeping a roof over your head, managing your money responsibly, and generally taking care of yourself on your own. It feels scary, monumentally so. But I think the older you get, the more challenges you have met and overcome, the future feels less scary, because you have aquired a lot more skills to handle it. And also, worrying about the grand things that may or may not happen is not going to change the outcome, isn't going to make you anymore prepared - all it's going to do is stress you out right now.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Of course the future scares me. I worry that I will never be successful, never find something I enjoy, never find the right guy, all sorts of things. But then I think that you need to give yourself a break sometimes. Make your future exciting as well as scary.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Nah. Mistakes will be made, but all hurts will heal. Just gotta keep moving forward.

Fig

The Altruist
I wouldn't say that the future scares, but rather I simply don't know what will I do or react when the time comes for something drastic. The future has always interested me ever since I was a child for the fact that the lifestyle of humanity is always adapting to the technological changes. It always interests me on what kind of machinery and advanced technology will be heading our way with as near as 10-15 years from now. I really don't know what to expect for the future to hold so while it doesn't necessary make me scared of the future, I do have concerns for it especially if humanity continues to downgrade with each generation.

D

Deleted member 14134

The futures going to happen with or without you, worry or not. Focus on the present, make the best of today and tomorrow will be better.

Regardless of warnings, the future doesn't scare me at all. However, I am deathly afraid of having to stand next to a hospital bed, looking down on a dying person again. The countdown to the last breath is what scares me the most. I suppose it's inevitable, however.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
The future excites the hell out of me.

"I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Isaac Newton

That is my favorite quote of all time and it explains how I feel. I'm that boy on the beach wondering what the ocean has to offer. Some people like to stay on the beach and enjoy the sand between their toes, never giving too much thought to what lies beyond, and that's fine. But that's not me. I want to build a boat and see what's out there. To do that, I must respect the past but ultimately I must leave the past behind. I must always move forward if I want to explore, and exploration of the unknown is something I value as an intimate part of my being. Which brings me to my other favorite quote:

"We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring,
Will be to arrive where we started,
And know that place for the first time." - T.S. Eliot

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I generally have a bit of anxiety over the unknown, but I do not fear what I cannot control. Our lives are what we make of the circumstances we find ourselves placed in. Mind on the destination, eyes on the road.

Veely

Unwanted ZD Member
To be truthful here. It really does scare me. My boyfriend is a wonderful man and I love him dearly but when we talk about moving on our own him wanting kids I always freeze up and I look into like me being a terrible mother or even one of those two job working mothers that doesnt have time for their kids. Or im even scared to go to college I dont feel college bound. But im always scared that if I dont get my education now it wont help me. But evem still I dont know what I want there is no career classes for gamers in college. Heck I am always afraid of what ill end up doing if I moved in with him and married him. Im also scared of marrying him while we are young..

I said too much but yes I do fear

I'm terrified of the future. I can barely manage my life now, and all I have is a cat. I live at home, I'm reasonably healthy, I don't have a S/O, I don't have kids, I only have bills and a kitty. And I still feel like I'm treading water where all my peers are swimming.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
My feelings are mixed. On one hand, I have an excitement about the future because I like the idea that we'll discover more things. Humanity is a curious species and we always seem to be interested in seeing what more is out there and coming up with new inventions. I wonder if we'll ever come up with Holodek video games or discover an "M-class planet" with life on it. Living to see the first person on Mars would make me very happy.

On the other hand, I also have a lot of fears. To me, my country... the America I grew up in doesn't exist anymore. (I'm a child of the 80s, I was raised to believe I could become anything I wanted to and then the world happened...). To put it in popular science-fiction terms, I see signs that we're becoming Panem. There's a high level of economic disparity that just seems to keep growing. I'm actually worried that my guy and I might die of perfectly preventable diseases due to "not having the right insurance" to be cared for. We can't up and move to anywhere else because... poor. Plus, I have some unfortunate things in my past that would probably prevent me from being allowed to emmigrate. I mean, right now, I'm on the freakin' Disability dole and *it doesn't cover even basic dentistry*. If I get a raging infection in a broken tooth I've got, I'm pretty much screwed. I'll be a while before we start giving our children in Tribute, but hey... Panem... Also, I worry that if what I'm surviving on is revoked, considering the job market where I and my SO both have experience killing ourselves for not-enough-to-pay-the-rent-get-gas-and-eat on a reliable basis, I do actively worry that my last days as an old woman might be spent in a cardboard box.

So, a mixed-bag for me. Some good things, some legitimate fears. - I wish we lived in a world where people actually thought that all human beings were worth saving.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
No it really doesn't, I'm generally excited about what's ahead.

I would say I'm an optimist, I like to think positively and that the if I really try my best in life then I will make it to my desired destination whatever it may be. I'm also a firm believer in whatever happens will happen and we cannot control it. It's best to enjoy the ride, sure there will be struggles. My state of mind is basically: as long as you have a reason to wake up in the morning and do something then you're doing something right. Always have aspirations and goals to achieve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom