• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Does Link Have a Last Name? and if Not, Why Not?

We have this long list of Nintendo 1st party game characters:
Mario Mario, Luigi Mario, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Fox McCloud, Slippy Toad, Peppy Hare, Falco Lombardi, Wolf O'Donnell, Leon Powalski, Panther Caroso, Andrew Oikonny, Pigma Dengar Samus Aran

All of them have a last name. But where is Link's last name? Does he even have one? And if not, why not?

He doesn't have a last name, because he's never given one. I guess Nintendo never found it important to give him one. If anything, Nintendo leaves it to us to give him a last name if we desire to do so. Also, Mario and Luigi's last name has never been revealed; that is an error.

Go watch the Mario Movie. You'll find their last names are said there.

The Super Mario Bros. movie is non-canon, which means it has no bearing on the official series. Any real Nintendo fan can tell you that. Nintendo has never officially revealed Mario and Luigi's last name a single source. Feel free to supply an official source that states otherwise.

The Super Mario Bros. movie is non-canon, which means it has no bearing on the official series. Any real Nintendo fan can tell you that. Nintendo has never officially revealed Mario and Luigi's last name a single source. Feel free to supply an official source that states otherwise.
If Nintendo disagreed with this they'd have not allowed it in the movie. Cannon or not the last name was said. No error there. But this is so very off topic. The topic is why Link does not have a last name. And your hypothesis for this is very plausible.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Typically in Zelda games, or even Zelda mythology as a whole, citizens of Hyrule [any race] seem to have only the one name, which may be accompanied by a title of sorts (eg. Princess, King...).

I guess it just simplifies things as they don't want to establish this huge world and links between families and whatnot. The series is all about obscurity between its legends, if they added second names into the equation then it would be a lot easier to connect people together and whatnot. Just take it as Nintendo adding the to the mystery of the lineage between characters.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
If Nintendo disagreed with this they'd have not allowed it in the movie. Cannon or not the last name was said. No error there. But this is so very off topic. The topic is why Link does not have a last name. And your hypothesis for this is very plausible.

Not to be rude or something but you are the one who mentioned the Mario Movie and by doing this you can expect people to react on it. If they do you can't tell them to get off topic when you do this yourself.

I don't think it is relevant for Link to have a last name at all. This never has been the case and I don't think it will ever happen. It is just a nintendo thing

Not to be rude or something but you are the one who mentioned the Mario Movie and by doing this you can expect people to react on it. If they do you can't tell them to get off topic when you do this yourself.

I don't think it is relevant for Link to have a last name at all. This never has been the case and I don't think it will ever happen. It is just a nintendo thing

As has been stated, we learn of very few characters that have last names in the series. I think it is probably safe to assume that they just don't use them except in rare cases. Also, with frequent rumors of character's descendants and ancestors, it would kind of ruin that mystery.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Typically in Zelda games, or even Zelda mythology as a whole, citizens of Hyrule [any race] seem to have only the one name, which may be accompanied by a title of sorts (eg. Princess, King...).

I guess it just simplifies things as they don't want to establish this huge world and links between families and whatnot. The series is all about obscurity between its legends, if they added second names into the equation then it would be a lot easier to connect people together and whatnot. Just take it as Nintendo adding the to the mystery of the lineage between characters.

Other than the fact that the king of Hyrule in the Wind Waker has a last name (Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule) and so does Ganondorf (Dragmire), this seems to be the case.

Yeah, it's almost safe to say that at least some of the Princess Zeldas' last name is Hyrule; that much can be safely assumed. However, until there's an official word on this, I dunno...

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Other than the fact that the king of Hyrule in the Wind Waker has a last name (Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule) and so does Ganondorf (Dragmire), this seems to be the case.

Yeah they were the only two stand out full names I could think of in the entire series. I don't know why Nintendo just chose to expand the name's of these two figures, but I guess we'll never know.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
In games the player is given the option to name Link whatever they want, so I guess his last name can be anything you decide.

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
I feel like I posted a thread sort of like this when I first started. Although I guess that was "What would Link's Name Be?". Anyway, he probably does have a last name. It's just that there are so many Links, and telling you what each of their last names are would be kind of pointless. I mean, it's not like it really matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom