• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you Use Your Shield in Combat much?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
As I play Zelda games (3d ones where shields have to be used by pressing buttons instead of them just naturally being used), I fight, but I fight without my sheild. I almost NEVER use my shield (even in Breath of The Wild).

My strategy is basically to go up, and be faster than my opponent to hit, and maybe back away to repeat. That involves no shield.

Do you ever use your shield, or are you more like me?

Last edited:
Oh yes, constantly. I'm a huge sword n' board player in lots of things. Zelda, Skyrim, D&D... I just love the feel of it. First time I parried a Guardian Beam I felt so badass, you have no idea...

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
In Breath of the Wild, I mostly use it for shield surfing. Targeting with a shield automatically guards, so I don't have much of a choice if I have one equipped. Though, I have been using perfect guard more often lately. It's pretty useful.

In other Zelda games, if it can be avoided (this is unfortunately not the case in Wind Waker), I don't usually get one at all. Sometime's I'll grab one just for the aesthetic, but most of the time I don't have one on me. They can't be removed without burning them or letting a like-like steal it, which is a real pain in the ass. I'm really glad SS and BotW fixed that.

TheRockinStallion

If I'm not back in 15 minutes, just wait longer!
Didn't we cover that already? I'M A DUDE!
Not unless the fight calls for it like going against octoroks, deku scrubs, and Twinrova.

At first I didn't use the shield much, but the more I played the game the more I loved using it. There's nothing quite like a perfect block/parry whether its on a normal enemy, guardian laser, or even just an octorock.

At first I didn't use the shield much, but the more I played the game the more I loved using it. There's nothing quite like a perfect block/parry whether its on a normal enemy, guardian laser, or even just an octorock.
I got used to using it from the start by just parrying enemies attacks for a while and not killing them. No I think I've gotten really good at it. I really wish I'd been able to get recording equipment, some of the insane close combat stuff I've done would have been really really cool to show to other people. Last night in Master Mode's Trial of the Sword I parried a thrust from a Lizalfos' spear without being able to see him onscreen, I just heard the noise he made and then knew the attack would come a second later.

I used it often in Skyward Sword, but it's a life saver against Guardian Beams in BotW.

I usually used shields until SS happened and i played with no shield at all. I have the Hylian shield equipped to look cool but unequip it when i need to fight.

Same with BotW. Theyre not as annoying as in SS but i still dont use them unless i have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom