• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Think Sony Will Ditch the Dualshock Controller with the PS4?

There have been a skew of rumors floating around the internet for the past few days claiming that Sony will ditch the Dualshock design that they have been using since the PS1 in favor of a controller with a touch-screen interface, much like the Wii U, and biometric feedback. Personally, I don't think it matters what should do, people will be pissed regardless. For instance, if they went the touch-screen design, the Nintendo fanboys will be like "HERP DERP SONY IS COPYING NINTENDO AGAIN. SONY IS THE MOST UNORIGINAL COMPANY EVAR!!!1," while if they stick with the dualshock design, the Sony fanboys will be like "HERP DERP WHY IS SONY STILL USING THE SAME, TIRED DESIGN FOR A CONTROLLER AGAIN? WHY DOESN'T SONY INNOVATE FOR ONCE?" Because of this, I think it would serve Sony best to give players options by releasing both a gimmicky new controller and a revamped dualshock design, much like what Nintendo is doing with the Wii U. But what do you think Sony's going to do?

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
I agree with you a hundred percent as far as pleasing people. No matter what Sony does, they will be criticized. However, that being said, Sony's best bet IS to venture into the unknown. If that means ditch the Dualshock controllers, then so be it. Sony as a company is falling and seriously needs something like Nintendo had with Wii (a must buy item). I don't want Sony ditching the controllers we have loved for years, but lets get for real. If PS4 comes out this year (which I think even announcing it is foolish being that they should be concerned about making the Vita prosper at the moment), I predict the new Xbox will arrive around the same time, and being that Microsoft has already showed off IllumiRoom, Sony will have their work cut out for them as far as being intuitive goes. On the same token, Nintendo will have picked up steam with Wii U since WWHD and a new 3D Mario title will all be coming out around Christmas time. I think at this moment in time, Playstation 4 should hold off a little longer. With the new Xbox coming out this year, I don't see PS4 launching to a running start. What really bothers me is Vita. Why Sony would announce a new system while it continues to flounder puzzles me. The weirdest part is PS3 is selling just fine.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Ha! Oh please. Sony has had the Dualshock since the Playstation's inception. It has been nothing but an amalgamation of everything Nintendo has ever done since, just tacked on haphazardly. Sony lacks the creative clout to even be bothered with designing their own unique controller that works. If they haven't changed it for this long, they aren't going to change it now, I'm certain. It seems that the Dualshock works well enough for them.

Deeds

no text
Well, they can innovate without copying Nintendo's designs. They're meant to be a large company. Unless their lead creative designers have the brains of a goldfish, they could come up with something new - without copying Nintendo. We've never seen that before, though. PS Move... Good one Sony.

I'm thinking they'll stick with the Dualshock Controller, with maybe a couple more or less buttons, and a nicer design. If they do create a touch-screen based controller, they'll just get ripped by everyone.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I honestly don't care if their next controller has a touch screen/touch pad on it. If they can find a way to make it work, I say go for it. I'm more concerned about Sony fanboys saying it's such a great idea while still treating the GamePad like a stupid gimmick.

this seems to be a double Sword as NESpowerhouse sead. both sides will complane. Now i like the dualshock controller, its one of the best controllers i have ever played with it will be hard to replace, but im also puzzled. if memory serves me, didint they wanted the PS Vita to be integrated with the PS3 and Ps4 for touch screen controls? I guess it couldn't be done too easily so mayby their just building the controller from scratch but the question is. if they do come out with an optional tablet like controller will Sony stick with this plan, or would it be forgotten like much of their ideas such as the PS move?. also Microsoft is planing the same thing with their smart-glass tablet... thingy if generation 7 is known for Motion controls ( Wii, Move and Kenect) I guess this generation ( for me) is going to be known as the Touch screen generation...

Last edited:

Clank

Hmm
Personally the dual shock is the best controller ever, from what i have heard it would be similar to a PS-Vita which would be pointless as the PS-Vita would be able to connect to the PS4

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom