• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Really Not Care What Other People Think?

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I do care what other people think, but that doesn't stop me from doing what I want and dressing how I want. I'm my own person, so it's not up to them to judge me.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think we all do care about what others think whether we want to or not. Of course the severity differs, some things we can brush off without to much damage, and sometimes it can really affect us. Though I do really think those who say: "I don't give a **** what anyone thinks about me" are actually insecure as if you didn't care then why would you have to preach that you don't care that much.

Me myself? Well I'm pretty laid back and I'd say I'm confident (not in an arrogant/cocky way) so a lot of the time I don't really care what people think, or at least, I don't let others dictate what I do in everyday life. However I do take what others take into consideration especially if a care about that person in some way. If you're in a relationship and your partner says something hurtful to you then no you can't just ignore it. The same applies with friends and family as well. Also if I do have certain insecurities then I'm likely to try and hide them, or in other words, not expose them.

So overall it depends on the person and the situation.

Being teenager, of course I care, but I think it's more that I care what the people I care about think of me.

Last year my friend and her boyfriend broke up, and she was very angry with him, but she went and took all that anger out on me, like she stopped talking to me and ignored me and such, and it really hurt me. At the time I thought it was something I had done, but I hadn't done anything. I think that's when I realized I care what my friends think of me. Some days it gets bad and I worry that they talk about me when I'm not around, but I recently talked to one of my closest friends about that and she told me that when they do talk about me, it's usually about good times they've had with me in the past.

But it seems like to me that this changes daily. Some days I'm more self-conscious and actually care about what others think; those are the days I'm constantly fixing my hair and clothes. However, most days I realize I could care less. I like to think "Hey, if people like me for who I am, then that just shows that they're actually worth my time."

onebizarrekai

gay energy
Well. Depends on the situation. In a 'peer pressure' kind of way, absolutely not. I also hardly care what I look like when I dress; I wear what's comfortable and that's that. The only time I actually put effort into what I look like is if I'm going to some dance (ehehehe) or if I'm bored.

I also prefer to have short hair rather than long hair because I think it's too much of a pain to deal with, and it also stays out of the way more easily and is lighter. I also have no patience for growing my hair out. I was thinking about it for a while, but then I realized that it would become way too obnoxiously heavy.

I hate skirts and dresses…

I feel uncomfortable wearing swimsuits…

... and Haruhi Fujioka from Ouran High School Host Club is totally my anime idol.

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
Frankly, I don't. Well, not much. On a regular basis, I'm perfectly willing to go out in mismatched, practically pajama-esque clothes, no teeth brushed, no hair brushed, and if my shirt sleeves are long enough I won't even shave my armpits. Yeah, might be considered gross, but I'll usually remember to brush my teeth if I'm actually going somewhere. I get lectured by my parents for my lack of caring, and it hasn't really made a difference (besides the pits thing, they made me self-conscious about that).

Though when I'm actually going somewhere important to me, I might take a half-hour to decide exactly what I'm gonna wear. Mostly because half of what I have, I don't like, and the other half my mother won't let me wear out of the house. I really need to do something about that. Anyway, I hardly ever wear makeup, and when I do it is only for auditioning for plays and such. I never wear makeup in my daily life, and that's not likely to change. Point is I don't give a bleep about how I look, most of the time. The rest of the time, I care about an average amount.

When it comes to how I act, I NEVER give a bleep! I'll sometimes PURPOSELY make myself seem insane and unappealing, just because it's what I think on the inside. And I find it funny when I completely baffle my peers with mentions of my 'other personalities'. I try to always be kind, though, and if I ever hurt anyone's feelings or break any rules I will apologize up the wazoo. ...Unless they were a jerk first, in which case they totally deserved it.

But yeah, I was totally rambling. Main point, I don't care when other people seem to think I should care. I care when I feel like caring. If the stupid Muggles of the world don't get my genius, then have fun being baffled while I go assassinate some Vespers in my head! If you don't like how I look, then go look at someone you wanna look at! See if I care! ...But if you do happen to get my genius and do like how I look, then I welcome you with open arms. ^^

Eduarda

Srishti is annie is eduarda right?
Really, especially if you're a teenager, it's hard to come across someone who 100% doesn't care. If they don't, then maybe they are already like the crowd around them, and they can be themselves. Those people are lucky and very very rare. We all need to be accepted in one way or another. We need a friend. Companionship. And so we try to do things which would please others. We may change ourselves without really knowing.

Away from the philosophical stuff, yes, I care. I don't like wearing make up or dressing up. I like staying simple. I was quite a loner my whole life. It sucked at times, but I would ignore the want to have a friend as I was too scared and shy to develop any close friendships. I used to not like my physical appearance, my weight and the way I look because of how society pressures women to look perfect.

A random stranger's opinions on me won't matter to me until they say it out loud or showed it through body language (which never happened if it was negative, though). A friend, it depends on how close our friendship is. With Sadia and Mathias, I know they accept me the way I am, and I feel like I can be my random self with them. If I mess up, yes, I do get scared suddenly that they would think negatively about me, but the feeling goes away soon when they show that they are not upset. With other friends that I'm not too close with, I'm more reserved and shy, trying not to mess up or make a mistake or be too odd in front of them. For some reason, in front of adults - especially my friend's parents - I'm much more scared and reserved. Barely speaking, trying to do everything as normally as I can, terrified of being judged. I don't know why. Also, in front of boys around my age, in Sadia's words, I am "intimidated" by them. Sadia says that if I had a brother, that wouldn't be a problem :P My interaction with other guys is a minimum. When I see a large group of stereotypical guys, I get scared for some reason and try not to stand out. Online, I am much more open. I can talk to anyone freely without fear of being judged. But on August 3rd, I suddenly felt extremely self conscious of how others see me online, and I closed myself in my shell for a few months. It's broken up now ^^

I have a feeling that if I was exposed to a lot of negative criticism, I would be a different person than I am now. My self consciousness would rule my life, and I would constantly be scared of how others see me. It's not as prominent right now. I only actually feel scared in front of adults, and stereotypical teenage guys (headphones, baggy pants, you know :rolleyes:). With distant friends, it's not as strong.

Last edited:
I definitely care what people think about me. As can be seen in my picture, I'm pretty much bald and I'm 18. People make comments all the time. I try to say that they don't bother me but they do. Do any people have any tips to stop being bothered by these comments?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom