• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you like the idea of the region specific forms?

So, seemingly the gen1 Pokemon are getting some exclusive regional treatment in Pokemon Sun and Moon, but do you like it?

Does it mess with your OCD now that some Pokemon are the same yet different depending on the region?

I'm not sure on it myself. I'm still not down with mega evolution, its too Digimon with the form change not being permanent (and the type changing so that in some cases you fall into a disadvantage)

The regional specific forms kind of feel like it takes something away from the original designs, like they're not definitive anymore, which kind of bugs me.

I haven't been around since gen 1, so I can't really partake in the whole "gen wunners" getting mad about small changes to Pokemon thing that other (older) people on this forum can.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
HOW DAR THEY CHANGE THE POKERMAN!!
jk, I like the idea, it's cool to see how Pokémon change based on their environment.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
There isn't a thing they are doing that I don't love with these new games. Breathing fresh life into an old game series is what they seem to be accomplishing.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
All i want to know is how execuggtor lost all that weight and became a grassy dragon.........

In all seriousness, i think it's nice more of gen one pokes are getting a touch up.

All i want to know is how execuggtor lost all that weight and became a grassy dragon.........

In all seriousness, i think it's nice more of gen one pokes are getting a touch up.
Well according to most online theorists, he became a dragon because of dragon fruit apparently

I really like the idea of having region specific Pokemon, more quantity is always a good thing, and so far all of the new forms look really good, especially Vulpix and Ninetales.

In my opinion, the new forms look alright. What is getting on my nerves is the new Z evolution and the new Pokemon besides the starters but that is another story.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
I'm a bit of a mixed opinion. It is interesting to see old pokemon become a bit fresh and have a new style to them. The new forms look amazing and add more variety to a team of old pokemon one loved. Yet again It also feels like amazing creativity in a slightly lazy way. How do we get more pokemon without making too many more? Just give old ones new typing and forms. I always took the different kinds of cats, birds, pikachus and such as the regional evolution of pokemon to adapt to the enviroment and the humans that live there. Now its just yeah they are basically the same thing with fundamental differences. Could of just called fletchling fire pidgey in x and y if they were going to go down this road.

Also it feels like another thing they are looking at digimon for. I mean digimon has always had the species with five million different forms. Agumon, snowagumon, blackagumon, toyagumon, etc. etc... I just find it so odd. I didn't think once I'd say snowvulpix or snowsandshrew.

So I'm on the fence bout this. I like the designs and the lie it breaths into old pokemon. It just feels so odd.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
Why is doing similar things to Digimon such a sin? They are both essentially in the same genre (storywise) and are destined to overlap at some point.

I like the concept, especially when it comes to old Pokemon with bad typings, moves or abilities. This sort of thing could make some of the older evolutionary families actually viable again, which is quite cool.

That said, I hope they don't do this for every Pokemon species. The game's already getting extremely complicated as it is, and a bit much so to be honest with you. Having to figure out which of 1000+ species with multiple regional forms and multiple Mega Evolutions to use... that could get kind of annoying eventually.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
Why is doing similar things to Digimon such a sin? They are both essentially in the same genre (storywise) and are destined to overlap at some point.
It isn't a sin per say. Just it feels like they are copying something that they didn't need too. Also that it feels a bit lazy by copying an idea like that. Besides I personally never thought they would overlap in anything. The only thing they have in common most of the time is you get monsters, train them, evolve them in some way and fight with them. Other then that gameplay, story, and just around about everything you can think of is different.

Well, I actually really enjoy the new forms and the concept. From a game design perspective, it's a neat way to make some of the older, less used pokemon more relevant. But I really enjoy the idea of diversity of form, it's a well-documented phenomenon that smaller, geographically isolated populations tend to feature more drastic morphological changes and they appear and shift faster and more frequently, with island-bound species beings especially susceptible to this effect.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Exactly what AncientPoe said, there's plenty of examples of species looking vastly different to their other geographic counterparts, so I think it's neat to see in the Pokemon world.
All of the aloha designs look great too, apart from a certain tree Pokemon, not naming names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom