• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Digital Game Releases

Do you prefer digital games or physical releases?

• Digital

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Physical

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
1656745735770.png

Over the past fifteen or so years, we've seen a shift in the world of video games towards digital releases. If you're a PC gamer, you've probably been forced to bend the knee to one of many digital gaming platforms, with physical releases largely existing as empty boxes to put on shelves with digital download codes slipped in the front. If you've been strictly a console gamer, then the shift has taken a harder turn in the past five years or so. Both major video game consoles have "all-digital" alternatives that reduce their initial asking price, but cut out their disc readers.

I'll admit: I hate it. I've never liked the shift towards an all digital gaming landscape. I've vocally expressed my distaste with platforms like Steam, Epic, and Ubisoft+ (but not GOG. GOG is just fine), and I'm committed to going into this all-digital future kicking and screaming like the ray-traced gamer that I am.

That being said, I do understand some of the appeal. If you're the sort to pre-order games, buying them digitally can mean having the game installed on your system the moment it comes out. It can mean cutting out one more trip to the store and saving you some effort if you're coming home from work at the end of the day and just looking to cool off with a rousing round of Warhammer Vermintide 2.

So I know I'm going into this future kicking and screaming, but what about you guys?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I've said it once and I'll say it again, once they got rid of manuals, I stopped caring about wanting to have physical games and now just care about what's the cheapest option, whether it's a digital discount sale or getting the disc used, both have their conveniences and inconveniences so it's whatever

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
can I say both

star-wars-anakin-skywalker.gif

I still like to get physical releases where available. For a couple of reasons but a big one is honestly the price. Games that have physical copies are typically your big $60 titles and if I have to spend that much on a game, I don't wish to burn through all my preloaded funds. Storage is another reason that seems to be more of an issue nowadays, but that's really only a Switch problem, probably. Some pricier indie games that have physical versions like Hades, also have me telling myself to wait to get physically, and I never end up doing so, so my preference also helps me prioritize how much I actually want a game.

I've been a little more open to getting more games digitally lately though, especially as I'm starting to explore PC gaming a little bit, because of course those aren't available physically anymore, or at least it's not commonplace unless it's some super special edition thing for novelty.

But as I'm coming to find out, if a physical copy/collectors edition becomes available later for a game I really enjoyed and already have digitally, I just might consider buying it again just so I have it physically in top of my digital copy. There's a lot more sentimental value to be had in a physical copy, especially from these smaller game publishers that still include booklets.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I feel like deployment kind of hampered a lot of my tolerance for the all digital stuff. Internet while deployed was good for browsing web pages, but struggled with downloads. If I bought a game on PC, there was a very real possibility that I would spend the next week or so downloading it. Meanwhile I could walk into the (admittedly very tiny) PX and buy a PS4 game right off the shelf. Following forty minutes of installation, it was good to go.

And heck,. I'm petty enough to just like seeing all my console games sit on a shelf.

I live in rural nowhere, so one of the cons here is that there's no obvious place to buy physical media without making a half hour trip into the city. While I do prefer truly owning what I pay for, it's usually too inconvenient to travel such a distance since I usually can't think of another reason to go out that far.

Of course, I do make a point to eventually buy the real thing if it's something I know I'll be playing again and again for the long haul, so ultimately depends on how valuable it is to me.

As for my opinion on the whole matter, I'm rather okay with the current status quo; options are great and stuff, but I am concerned that an all digital future is looming over us, which would mean no options

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I'm very partial to buying physical media when possible, though the lack of any manual or in-case materials for most games anymore is disappointing. As a somewhat casual collector, I like seeing my library on my shelf rather than listed on a screen. There are rare times where the digital version is on such a good sale over the physical that I'll cave and go for digital, like I did with Skyrim.

Seconding the concern over an all-digital future as well. Not having any options between digital and physical would be the worst outcome in that way.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I still prefer physical if possible, I like to be able to display my game collection on a shelf. I do thinkbits a shame the games don't care with manuals often anymore, but sometimes there are versions of a physical release that comes with merch that I want. Like, if I was a big Xenoblade fan I would totally want to get the steelbox version of Xenoblade 3 bundled with that concept art book.

I get the convenience of digital, and I might buy a digital game if I'm not sure if I'll like it and digital is cheaper than physical.

But I do agree I'm not looking forward to a digital only future at all.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend

Ubisoft are good saints

The unfortunate fate of an all digital gaming landscape. We've already seen Nintendo do it with the Wii, and it's only a matter of time before it happens with other consoles. The PS3 and Playstation Vita were both at risk of seeing their online stores shelved and it was only backlash that prevented them from taking the L and going offline permanently.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
The unfortunate fate of an all digital gaming landscape. We've already seen Nintendo do it with the Wii, and it's only a matter of time before it happens with other consoles. The PS3 and Playstation Vita were both at risk of seeing their online stores shelved and it was only backlash that prevented them from taking the L and going offline permanently.
the difference w/ the wii (so far) is none of the games that you have downloaded are unplayable even though the shop is shut down, this is straight up taking away your ability to play it even if you bought it
I know this isn't the first time but this will never ever be ok

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
the difference w/ the wii (so far) is none of the games that you have downloaded are unplayable even though the shop is shut down, this is straight up taking away your ability to play it even if you bought it

It's definitely worse, but it's still that losing access to products you purchased legally. If you lose your Wii or something happens to it, those titles are gone.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
It's definitely worse, but it's still that losing access to products you purchased legally. If you lose your Wii or something happens to it, those titles are gone.
in all fairness, that was a problem even back during it's heyday b/c the games are tied to the wii itself, had they been tied to an account like they eventually did w/ the 3ds and wii u, it wouldn't be as bad save for nintendo cutting off online access like they have for the wii for the past few months where you couldn't even connect to your old downloads

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
People are saying that's not gonna happen

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom