• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Deserves a remake"

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I swear I see this phrase thrown out to any old game. So it got me thinking what you guys think qualifies a game to "deserve a remake"? Especially over a port or remaster. Should a game that "deserves" one change things up to give a different experience or stay as intact as possible? But also if it's just b/c a game is old or outdated, then would it be a big stretch to just say that all it's contemporaries at the time "deserve a remake" too?

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I think part of a game “deserving a remake” is that there might be some unique aspect of the game that works well on paper but wasn’t executed very well or could have been better. A good remake should expand upon and streamline what made the original stand out while also keeping everything else largely intact.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Ahem just imagine games like Vice city and Sands of time with uhhh more realistic...cough...physics and graphics

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Ahem just imagine games like Vice city and Sands of time with uhhh more realistic...cough...physics and graphics
I don't want to imagine vice city in any way other than how it is, even its remaster falls a bit short
I think part of a game “deserving a remake” is that there might be some unique aspect of the game that works well on paper but wasn’t executed very well or could have been better. A good remake should expand upon and streamline what made the original stand out while also keeping everything else largely intact.

should a remake replace the original

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
A vision, concept, or goal that wasn't fully executed or realized due to a number of outside factors.

That's probably the standard, in my eyes, of what constitutes a game deserving a full remake. The problem lies in how there's different definitions for what a remake is, of course.

That said, I'd vouch for remakes sticking as close to the original vision and release, flaws and all. I don't care for remakes or remasters changing things that could very well be left alone.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
should a remake replace the original
Mechanically speaking, yes. In some cases a remake can have a different appeal to it due to its look and feel, even if it’s a mechanically worse game by all accounts. It’s why I still play LADX from time to time despite the remake being a better game.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Mechanically speaking, yes. In some cases a remake can have a different appeal to it due to its look and feel, even if it’s a mechanically worse game by all accounts. It’s why I still play LADX from time to time despite the remake being a better game.
I think a remaster and enhanced port can better replace the original, with a remake there's a lot more room for it to not completely capture the vibe of the original even if it technically plays better overall

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I think chevy's mostly right
"deserves a remake" usually gets thrown around when a game I loved as a kid is just not up to par with modern design standards
people probably want an excuse to replay a game they love, and if people are happy paying money to play the same game, I think that's what devs should do especially because design is hard. It makes game dev more viable long term when you can cheaply reproduce games at greater fidelity to pad release cadences and give your teams more time to work on a new project

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Depends on what they're trying to achieve with said remake. At the end of the day, these games have to make money and if a simple port can't do that, then maybe it's worth looking into remaking it. Especially if it's being done to relaunch a dormant series which can then be used as the foundation for future entries.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I see it mostly associated with games that fall under the nebulous label of "good for their time". Resident Evil 2 was a good game for 1998, but then they remade it and it turned into a good game for any time. I tend to associate it with games that are held back by the technology of the time and would benefit from a healthy dose of modernization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom