• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Death Mountain

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
The name "Death Mountain" has been thrown around since the original Legend of Zelda, and ever since it has appeared in eight games. However, the so-called "Death Mountains" are very different, so now I ask: are they all the same mountain?
Or is Death Mountain a traditional Hylian term for volcano?
Just a real short thing, wanna see what people think of it. Deku out

I am leaning towards the possibility that it could be the same mountain. A mountain does not grow, die and comes back to life. Once it's formed, it's there forever.

I think its just a common mountain range the various places share.
I am leaning towards the possibility that it could be the same mountain. A mountain does not grow, die and comes back to life. Once it's formed, it's there forever.
Yeah, but most of the games are in different dimensions.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I think its just a common mountain range the various places share.

Yeah, but most of the games are in different dimensions.

Not every game is in a different dimension...they're all in the same general world, except for Majora's Mask and maybe another one I'm forgetting...?

Anyways, I like the idea that Hylians call any sort of volcano 'Death Mountain'. It would make sense, since volcanoes are extremely hot and filled with lava, where someone could possibly die if they fell in or were there for too long. You'd have more chance at survival if you were at a regular, non-volcanic mountain.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
It's the name of a specific place, based on the usual shared position relative to Hyrule Castle. The geography of the maps change so much though that it would be impossible to assume that it's in the exact same space every game.

To me, the way I resolve this issue is by assuming that it's just one large mountain range, and the actual Death Mountain never really changes location, you're just seeing different parts in different games. Things like Lake Hylia though have to have multiple versions, because that thing jumps like crazy.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
To me, the way I resolve this issue is by assuming that it's just one large mountain range, and the actual Death Mountain never really changes location, you're just seeing different parts in different games. Things like Lake Hylia though have to have multiple versions, because that thing jumps like crazy.
That's how I feel when my friends and were working on our Hyrule map theory. Death Mountain likely refers to a single volcano as well as the bigger mountain range it is a part of, much like New York city in New York state. As for Lake Hylia I think it's safe to say more than one lake has the name. It's always been my head canon that OoT Hyrule was invaded, so they retreated north to the location of TP's map, and started again naming many locations with familiar names, although death mountain was still within their territory as the invaders didn't want to live near a volcano.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
That's how I feel when my friends and were working on our Hyrule map theory. Death Mountain likely refers to a single volcano as well as the bigger mountain range it is a part of, much like New York city in New York state. As for Lake Hylia I think it's safe to say more than one lake has the name. It's always been my head canon that OoT Hyrule was invaded, so they retreated north to the location of TP's map, and started again naming many locations with familiar names, although death mountain was still within their territory as the invaders didn't want to live near a volcano.
Yeah I saw your map, it's really good to be honest. I agree with you about the Death Mountain thing, but thinking about it, I think a good way of lining up the maps would be placing Spectacle Rock in the same location and overlapping the maps like that. I'm not sure if you've gotten to that point though, but it's just a thought I had. Likewise it wouldn't work for the 3D games, because Spectacle Rock usually doesn't exist in them, but it does for TLoZ and ALttP. I don't know, just something I thought of.

As for Lake Hylia, as a counter theory, what if whatever the biggest lake the hylians find, is the one that takes the name of Hylia? I think it'd be kinda cool if that were the case, then the other lakes, assuming they're still used in some hypothetical "true Hyrule" could be named after the other Goddesses.

Yeah I saw your map, it's really good to be honest. I agree with you about the Death Mountain thing, but thinking about it, I think a good way of lining up the maps would be placing Spectacle Rock in the same location and overlapping the maps like that. I'm not sure if you've gotten to that point though, but it's just a thought I had. Likewise it wouldn't work for the 3D games, because Spectacle Rock usually doesn't exist in them, but it does for TLoZ and ALttP. I don't know, just something I thought of.

As for Lake Hylia, as a counter theory, what if whatever the biggest lake the hylians find, is the one that takes the name of Hylia? I think it'd be kinda cool if that were the case, then the other lakes, assuming they're still used in some hypothetical "true Hyrule" could be named after the other Goddesses.
Thanks for checking that out. We're currently working on where Holodrum, and Labrynna are. It's a bit of a challenge. We just figured lining up death mountain volcano would be a nice way to line up everything else at first, and using spectacle rock would also be a good focu point too, so hopefully we can add to the map, and make more update soon.

Pretty sure TP and OOT have same map

Pretty sure TP and OOT have same map
oot.jpg

Twilight_Princess_Gamecube_Map.png

I'm not seeing it. Care to explain how they are the same map?

The problem I'm having here with that is, let's say lake Hylia from both games is the same, and same with both death mountains, then Gerudo desert should be approximately west of Death Mountain, but in TP's map this isn't the case. The hidden village is where the desert should be. Also Zora's Domain makes quite a shift, now this is probably just them moving to a new area, but still worth noting. Also Where Kokiri forest should seem to be it would end up in the area of Kakariko gorge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom