• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Darksiders II Extended Launch Trailer

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Look Back: Darksiders II Extended Reveal Trailer - Darksiders Dungeon

This trailer originally was revealed back in June of 2011 back at E3 last year. This is the extended trailer version and I think it's a good place to get those unfamiliar with the series up to speed with the original reveal of this title. Pretty sweet reveal trailer if you ask me.

[video=youtube_share;lD8mvqW9PU0]http://youtu.be/lD8mvqW9PU0[/video]

Great post, Mases!

Death looks like a much more interesting character than War was in the original Darksiders.

Also, I love the apparent paradoxes present in the trailer with "Death is our savior" and "Is he the end of man or the beginning?". It's these thoughts that truly make me yearn for a greater role for story in other games of the same or similar genre such as Zelda.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The trailer looks too good to be true. Darksiders II will definitely be a better game than it's predecessor or else Vigil doesn't know how to develop properly. ;D

I'm liking War a lot more than Death so far, but that's just me.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
The trailer looks too good to be true. Darksiders II will definitely be a better game than it's predecessor or else Vigil doesn't know how to develop properly. ;D

I'm liking War a lot more than Death so far, but that's just me.

Wait a second, are you inferring that the first one wasn't great? Or just that the sequel has to surpass an already great game?

In any case, I really liked War. He stood for something and rewarded even his enemies that kept their words. He had pride and overall I just really liked him.

Death really is an anti-hero of sorts, and many fans probably could originally relate to him. Death, or the Grim Reeper, is often times the bad guy or big boss in many video games, yet here he is as the main playable character. Visually I think I prefer War, but that might be just because I've seen him in action with the first game. We'll see.

Wait a second, are you inferring that the first one wasn't great? Or just that the sequel has to surpass an already great game?
I have yet to play Darksiders, so I can't comment on my personal thoughts, but from what I've heard from most sources it's really not an amazing game. Definitely good, but not amazing. From what I've seen of it, I agree with them. Again, dunno if my thoughts may change when I play it, but I'm just making the point that... yeah, a lot of people really didn't feel the original game was that good; you're probably going to hear people saying that a lot, especially if Darksiders II is a better game.

Death really is an anti-hero of sorts, and many fans probably could originally relate to him. Death, or the Grim Reeper, is often times the bad guy or big boss in many video games, yet here he is as the main playable character. Visually I think I prefer War, but that might be just because I've seen him in action with the first game. We'll see.
I don't see, from what the trailer shows of the storyline, how Death is any more of an antihero than War was. I get it that War was kind of supposed to be that, but he was pretty much the hero because he was falsely accused, correct? He's just darker and more stereotypically "evil" in appearance. I like him better visually myself, but I can't comment on his personality yet. (I'm also curious if, throughout the Darksiders series, we'll end up playing as all of the Horsemen.)

Also, just for the record, I think the notion of death being evil is a product of fairly closed-minded early entertainment, in which everything creepy in any way has to be evil. As I gather the Four Horsemen were never supposed to be evil... just a bad thing. A elemental force of destruction, as opposed to malicious entities. I've seen many, many more depictions these days in which Death or some kind of representation of the Reaper isn't portrayed as evil... which is good because that's a lot more accurate than turning him into a badguy.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I think it is true that Death often times has that negative connotation about him. Heck, when I first think of the character Death, the first vision comes to mind is 'Death' from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, and that's hardly an evil character.

War really stood for justice and fairness. While he pretty killed every single bad guy he encountered... he did spare the lives of some of his foes, because they kept their word to him. He rewarded loyalty. Overall he's a very honorable type hero. I associate those attributes with a more typical hero.

With Death, it very well could be that he does carry a lot of those same attributes, but I think we'll have to wait and see. Developers have characterized him has being more rogue and willing to whatever it takes to clear his brothers name.

Last edited:
With Death, it very well could be that he does carry a lot of those same attributes, but I think we'll have to wait and see. Developers have characterized him has being more rogue and willing to whatever it takes to clear his brothers name.
If your assessment turns out to be accurate (and I got a little of that impression from the trailer myself,) that's still an honorable hero to me... just in a different way. Rather than standing for justice, being merciful to those that deserve it and fair to everyone... sort of like a judge... I think your impression would make death to be honorable in a more personal, less altruistic way. Loyal, honors his friends and personal duty and commitments. That's the impression I get out of him. Will go to any length, even if he has to do something horrible. Still honorable in my eyes, but in a very different way.

Looks like a lot of fun! Death seems like an interesting character and Despair is another awesome steed. Looking forward to giving this game a go.

I think it is true that Death often times has that negative connotation about him. Heck, when I first think of the character Death, the first vision comes to mind is 'Death' from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, and that's hardly an evil character.

War really stood for justice and fairness. While he pretty killed every single bad guy he encountered... he did spare the lives of some of his foes, because they kept their word to him. He rewarded loyalty. Overall he's a very honorable type hero. I associate those attributes with a more typical hero.

Well said. Death, no matter what the story or connotation is often viewed as a negative thing because people fear him (and death itself) so much. However, I liek to explain Deaths meaning the same way a tarot card reader might = death is not an end, it is a new beginning; it is a good card to receive. Perhaps with death comes luck, understanding, transformation and new ways of thinking.

Also, Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, hehe a great film. If you didn't know, that movie steals their Death idea from a movie called "The Seventh Seal" which is about a knight who battles death as well as the questions of life, while trying to beat death at a game of chess. Its a black and white Swedish film - I think its fantastic. Check it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom