• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Darknuts, Powerful Enemies and Mysterious Beings.

LordKorloros

Jared Moore
Darknuts have been around since the very first Zelda game, they were always the most powerful non-boss enemies and the most military-like in appearance. I noticed next to nothing is said about them, are they men-at-arms or are they actual knights? How did they get their massive girth? Are they under a curse, or are they actualy a race of humanoid jackals? I want to know your thoughts.

Pen

The game is on!
Well, in The Wind Waker we did actually get to see the Darknuts' bodies and faces ones their armors and helmets were knocked of. To me they look like some sort of muscular wolf-like creature, and they don't look at all like any other enemy in The Wind Waker. So because of all this I consider the Darknuts a race of their own. It's too bad tough that they've never had any big roles in the games. I'd love to see some important plot thing with Darknuts in Skyward Sword!

NoArmorDarknut.png

Last edited:

LordKorloros

Jared Moore
I also consider them a race of their own. They are far too different from other enemies to be a common savage like other creatures, and their armor is too elaborate for them to be some sort of rag-tag army. Nintendo should definatley shed some light on them. Leaving fans in the dark doesn't make it seem mysterious, it just royaly p*sses them off.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I considered them "magic-spawn" until seeing that trick with Wind Waker. They might possibly be a race, an enemy-race similar to Moblins. (I always considered Moblins a race in their own right - from the beginning, since some of them try to help you in the first game). Both races could be both, actually - originally magic-spawn, but creatures that developed a race of their own. I can imagine Darknuts as a Proud Warrior Race just because, man, they are powerful.

In the original/first Legend of Zelda game, my favorite way to combat the ROOMS FULL OF THE FREAKING THINGS is to be at full hearts and hang out in a doorway, shooting out at them/shooting out randomly until I hit them. Unfortunately, in that game, they move rather fast and can clip you when you're just outside the door. When this happens, I'll hide behind statues and try to clip them when the come by. Also, planting bombs and running away is a favorite technique.

I loved how in Twilight Princess they had two techniques - the heavy armor, then the graceful long sword.

They're interesting enemies, definitely. It would be nice to learn more about them. Then again, I'd love to learn about Moblin culture in a future game and I'd like Nintendo to bring back Lynels and expand upon them.

LordKorloros

Jared Moore
In UndyingNephalim's canon of the Zelda series, Darknuts are their own race and are a part of a military-nation called the Darknut Legion. They are allies with the Fokka (dreadhawks) and they have the best infantry. Darknuts are my favorite enemies.

I find the fact that the Darknut lupine/canine-like heads sort of resemble that of the Anubis[sup]1[/sup]. Not only the enemy featured in Spirit Temple of Ocarina of Time, but the real Anubis of Egyptian mythology[sup]2[/sup].

I could dismiss this as a simple aesthetic choice by the designers (possibly for only WW et al.) or mere coincidence for that matter, as many of the enemies and characters in the Zelda series appear to be based at least partially off various real-world mythologies from around the world (Greek, Roman, Japanese, Egyptian, etc.), though maybe...just maybe it could give a small hint to their origins. /wishful thinking?

Anubis.png
220px-Anubis_standing.svg.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom