• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dan Owsen Talks Zelda Timeline

Fierce

Deity Link
In all honesty, it doesn't seem like there's much new material here... other than more confirmation that there is in fact a timeline.

Nintendo's focus is really on the LEGEND aspect of Legend of Zelda. They want you to feel an air of mystery that makes those Zelda games so... Zelda. No matter how many times I play Ocarina of time, I always feel that sense of ambigiousness that Dan speaks of. And while being less descriptive is normally a bad thing... it works for Zelda. We don't know who Link is searching for in MM.. but w have an idea. We have no clue what happened to the Shiekah... but we have an idea. We aren't sure what exactly happened between OOT and TP... that perhaps Kakariko could have shifted places... but we have an idea.

Shigeru Miyamoto and the rest of the game's creators leave us hints and tibits. Lore and stories. Not direct accounts... but patchwork tales, that may or may not be true. These lead us to speculate, and it makes Hyrule so compelling... a wonderous land of mystery and intrigue that we just can't get enough of.

I hope they never release a Timeline because I wouldn't want it to be any other way. Nintendo has successfully created an immersive universe where anything is possible. We are left to build bridges with our imaginations... and that's something few game series accomplish.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
This is the best thing he could possibly have said. If EAD didn't have a secret timeline, then we can't be assured that a timeline can be constructed, and theorizing would become nearly pointless. If NoA had released the timeline (assuming it was the same as EAD's), then the answer would be there and theorizing would become nearly pointless. If NoA had released a timeline that couldn't be equated to EAD's timeline, then we would lose even more faith in NoA, and theorizing would become very difficult. (by 'theorizing' here, I mean specifically about the timeline.)

I do have a few questions about it (for anyone):
1. When he says they "constructed a timeline," does that mean it's their own timeline, without knowing EAD's, or that they knew EAD's timeline and constructed it in a presentable detailed fashion? Aonuma said the document was only accessible by three people, so I think the former is most likely true. How does this affect our trust of NoA?
2. It would have been nice to know if in EAD's response they mentioned if NoA's timeline was correct or not. Since NoA now has their own 'secret' timeline document, can we expect more connections in the localized versions of future games? Could these conflict with the Japanese versions?

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
1. When he says they "constructed a timeline," does that mean it's their own timeline, without knowing EAD's, or that they knew EAD's timeline and constructed it in a presentable detailed fashion? Aonuma said the document was only accessible by three people, so I think the former is most likely true. How does this affect our trust of NoA?

I unfortunately did not push him on this. I just wasn't anticipating talking to him until I actually saw him and even then, obviously discussion was focused on Ocarina of Time 3D.

Although, the strange thing about Dan Owsen. He's not just a Nintendo of America representative. He was the lead man of the translation and he worked in Japan for awhile. He was a member of the development team and not just somebody that adjusted material later. He mentioned to me specifically, as well as in an old interview, how the Japanese folks told him to be deliberately vague when it came to specific things. This included storyline aspects, but it also included secrets within the games.

When I was talking to Dan about the new 'Visions' mode in Ocarina of Time 3D, he mentioned that the developers felt it was important with Ocarina of Time originally, that not too much was given out to the gamer. The developers felt it was important to allow the gamers to solve puzzles themselves, and after hearing that familiar jingle, have a sense of accomplishment for having figured it out. This is a HUGE part of what Zelda is all about and I think this works for both secrets and for the overarching storyline between the games. To me, even though those two topics might be a tad unrelated, the developers are consistent in their thought process.

2. It would have been nice to know if in EAD's response they mentioned if NoA's timeline was correct or not. Since NoA now has their own 'secret' timeline document, can we expect more connections in the localized versions of future games? Could these conflict with the Japanese versions?

Dan said it twice that the developers had a Timeline, so my guess is that he is aware of the 'secret' timeline. Perhaps he doesn't know the content of it, but I think he knows it exists. I'm not sure if NoA's timeline that they wanted to release was accurate w/ that secret timeline, but I don't think that matters too much. Since if it was, or it wasn't, the Japanese response would still be the same, and Dan would still have likely told me the same thing. What it says on that official timeline, doesn't really mean much, since even if there is an official timeline, it's more important to them that it is vague to allow gamers to create their own timeline.

That being said, I don't think we'll be seeing anymore specifics from the localization team in future gamers to connect a timeline. We probably will see a handful of references as we've seen in recent games, but they'll be more like ode's to the other titles. Just letting the player's think, YA WOW, I remember that from that other Zelda Game!

Capitaine

Ray of Silver
One representative from Nintendo of America (I think it was Dan Owsen) did say before that Japan does have a timeline and that the localization team does adhere to it. NoA may not necessarily know the whole timeline, but they are likely told specific story arcs for the games they are localizing. For example, if they are localizing TP, the developers would likely tell them that OoT and MM come before and that they should throw in some references to ALttP as well. So NoA know maybe a little more than us when it comes to the official timeline, since they actually have to make their game translations work with it.

Now in that regard, I think that the official timeline is a series of smaller legends or microchronologies or whatever you'd like to call it. This way, the developers have the freedom they need to do whatever they want with the series (and make whatever connections they want between any games) while allowing the fans to create their own interpretations of how the overall Legend flows. Therefore, no reasonable timeline is necessarily "wrong" because the only thing that really matters is that everyone gets to experience the Legend in their own way.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Like DLC said before me, I would rather fit the pieces together by myself, than have the puzzle given to me alredy completed. It's just more fun that way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom