• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Could an Isometric Zelda game work?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Zelda has primarily used the overhead view for it's 2d games. But I wonder though, would anyone ever want to see a Zelda game in an isometric point of view? Just for some quick examples of it, think Super Mario RPG, Sonic 3d Blast, or Landstalker for the Sega Genesis, where it's top down but more at an angle so environments come off more as looking 3d. Do you think that sort of viewpoint could world for a traditional Zelda game, and would you want to see it?

My quick response is no, I dislike that point of view. I could tolerate it for Mario RPG but Sonic 3d Blast just gives me a stomachache, though maybe it's the checkerboard floors, who knows.

I'd love to see that for a Zelda game! It'd work really, really nice (actually, I thought Link Between Worlds did that). But yeah, it'd definitely work fantastically. Honestly, I think they could test it out in the next 2D Zelda game, or (controversially) in a remake of Oracle of Ages/Seasons.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
If Zelda did go isometric, I'd like to see a combat system that allows more freedom of movement and within combat. Maybe even letting Link jump and strike in the air as well. It would work, but only with some changes to the classic 2D Zelda formula, I'd say.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I'd love to see that for a Zelda game! It'd work really, really nice (actually, I thought Link Between Worlds did that). But yeah, it'd definitely work fantastically. Honestly, I think they could test it out in the next 2D Zelda game, or (controversially) in a remake of Oracle of Ages/Seasons.
link b/w worlds was still top down, not isometric

If Zelda did go isometric, I'd like to see a combat system that allows more freedom of movement and within combat. Maybe even letting Link jump and strike in the air as well. It would work, but only with some changes to the classic 2D Zelda formula, I'd say.
hopefully you mean jumping would only be for combat, the thought of more jumping in an isometric game is already making my head spin

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
I’ve never been a huge fan of isometric games. I feel like it worked in Mario RPG because of turn-based battles. My depth perception would get wonky and I would miss attacks...

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'm not very interested in another isometric Zelda. The lame modern gamer in me much prefers more spacious 3D worlds, and shifting back to an isometric overhead view just feels like a downgrade. Even something like Baldur's Gate 3, which is ostensibly intended for an isometric view, lets you zoom in for a third person camera that works just as well.

So, sort of like the 3D Zelda Combat System in a 2D Zelda game?

In 1989 It might have worked quite well. In 2020 though this is old graphical tech and as such would not work at all.
Also Nintendo has established that the top down format for the 2D Zelda games is the most popular. Sure Zelda 2 was a great game but enough people hate it (a lot of it irrational hatred though) to make any non top down 2D Zelda game be a bad idea.

In 1989 It might have worked quite well. In 2020 though this is old graphical tech and as such would not work at all.
Also Nintendo has established that the top down format for the 2D Zelda games is the most popular. Sure Zelda 2 was a great game but enough people hate it (a lot of it irrational hatred though) to make any non top down 2D Zelda game be a bad idea.
Well, isometric is very similar to top-down, just a different angle. Zelda II was straight up non-top down, non-isometric, and it was overly difficult.

Well, isometric is very similar to top-down, just a different angle. Zelda II was straight up non-top down, non-isometric, and it was overly difficult.
Zelda 2 was not overly difficult when compared to many NES games. For it's time, it's difficulty was about average. Compared to the games of today though it is a little harder. However the games of today are designed in a totally different way so it's not an apple to apples comparison.

Secondly isometric is very different to standard side scrolling. Most of that difference comes from how the games are played. Most of the Isometric games that exist are RPGs or puzzle style platformers like Snake Rattle N Roll or Marble Madness. They are not the usual run and jump which most 2D side scrolling platformers are.

However I am willing to say that a more modern style of Isometric game might work. Ie games like Dthe DIablo series of games. They play more like a fully 3D game, just at a fixed camera angle. If you said "technically isometric" you'd probably be right. However they play nothing like the more traditional isometric games ofthe past. They are a new breed of these type of games.
Could this work for a Zelda game? Possible yes? But should it be made? Maybe. I feel the 2D games differentiate themselves enough from the 3D games to be that somethnig different that people will purchase.

So overall my point would yes it could technically be made. But maybe it shouldn't be made.

No. I'm thinking classic Ys-style combat, where Link can jump and move around in a 2D plane of sorts, but without the need for lock-on or anything like that.
Oh, I understand now. That actually sounds really cool, but it may be a tad difficult to handle (although, to be fair, Link to the Past and Link Between Worlds didn't do lock-on, and they weren't too bad. Well, except for Mold- I can't even say that cursed boss's name)

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Oh, I understand now. That actually sounds really cool, but it may be a tad difficult to handle (although, to be fair, Link to the Past and Link Between Worlds didn't do lock-on, and they weren't too bad. Well, except for Mold- I can't even say that cursed boss's name)
Try the Ys Origin demo. You'll see what I mean. Something like that would work very well, I'd venture to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom