• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Consoles That You Feel Have the Best Library of Games.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Quite simple, which console do you feel has the strongest, and best library of games?

I'll start.

I feel the SNES has the best library of games. Not only the quantity, but the quality of each title was pretty f*cking stellar, in my opinion.

If it takes me a while to list my favorite games on a console, and there's several high quality titles that I've missed, then that's the litmus test for me.

So what are your opinions? :)

Hmm well, I can't choose so...

SNES for quality and quantity. It had ALttP, Super Metroid, Mario All-stars and Super Mario World 1&2, Kirby's Dreamland 3, Kirby Super Star, Killer Instinct, the DLC trilogy, Mystical Ninja,its of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat games and it had Mario Kart.

N64 for quality over quantity, it had OoT, MM, Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Smash Bros, Mario Kart 64 and Banjo-Kazooie. I spent a lot of time on all of those.

Gamecube for quality over quantity, it had WW, TP, Luigi’s Mansion, Smash bros Melee and Eternal Darkness. There was Mario Kart Double Sash and Mario Sunshine too but I didn't enjoy them all that much.

PS2 for quality and quantity, it had GTA 3, VC and 4, the Burnout series, Project Zero trilogy, Silent Hill 2, 3 and 4, Prince of Persia trilogy, Devil May Cry Trilogy, Lara Croft trilogy, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and so many others.

Ps4 for quality and quantity both triple A and indies alike and far too many to list. Such a worthwhile purchase of a console.

Switch could maybe make it to this list but only when I can look at it in retrospect.

Last edited:
I guess if I had to choose, then probably Gamecube. Nintendo has always had the strongest first party titles by a long shot, but back then they still got most of the big third party games too. The PS2 had so many damn games though that objectively it probably has the highest numbers of good ones.

Kirino

Tatakae
The SNES is definitely a strong contender: between AlttP, Super Metroid, Super Mario RPG, Fire Emblem 4 and 5, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV, V, and VI, etc., there's more than a few of my favorite games. I'd probably have to go with PS4, though. So many great exclusives, and just a great console overall. Gamecube and PS2 are decent runner-ups to the above.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
The PS4 does have a decent library. I do feel though it's not as strong as the SNES's library though.

I would include the PC, but PC's aren't consoles. Plus, I'd feel like I'd be beating a dead horse since that's my preferred platform for gaming.

Disagreement's fine though. Game on whatever makes you happy. :)

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Since the PC isn't in the race, I'd probably chalk it up to either the PS2 or the PS4. The PS2 has a huge library of games, and there's absolutely some shovelware in there, I think the sheer number of good and excellent games surpasses it.

Last edited:

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Since the PC isn't in the race, I'd probably chalk it up to either the PS2 or the PS4. The PS2 has a huge library of games, and there's absolutely some shovelware in there, I think the sheer number of good and excellent games surpasses it.
Yeah, if the PC was in the race, I would have said PC. :)

PS2 has a fine library of games for sure.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
right off the bat, the 3 titans are the SNES, Playstation 1, and Playstation 2

too many legendary games and franchises on all these to even go over, they excel in both quality and quantity and just flat out have the best libraries known to gaming, if I had to go w/ one though, I'm going w/ the PS2, not just b/c of my own bias but b/c it legitimately had a lot of good offerings, but of course you can make an argument for any of these

PS2 for quality and quantity, it had GTA 3, VC and 4,
*San Andreas, 4 was on PS360

Consoles That You Feel Have the Best Library of Games
This is 100% subjective. It all depends on the genres and types of game you like.

I feel, now we understand the subject nature of this topic the best answer would be the console that has games that cater to all gamers. Something for everyone.
I feel the Nintendo Switch easily wins this. It really has something for everyone. Big budget, indie and most genres all covered.
The NES and SNES also had something for everyone but not in the same way as the Switch.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
This is 100% subjective. It all depends on the genres and types of game you like.

I feel, now we understand the subject nature of this topic the best answer would be the console that has games that cater to all gamers. Something for everyone.
I feel the Nintendo Switch easily wins this. It really has something for everyone. Big budget, indie and most genres all covered.
The NES and SNES also had something for everyone but not in the same way as the Switch.
The topic is inherently subjective, of course.

It's which console you feel has the best library of games. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom