• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Classic Controllers Vs. Motion Sensing Controllers (Wii)

P

PegasusBoots

With the release of Twilight Princess and the upcoming Skyward sword, I'm starting to worry that there won't really be much classic style controller use. They may release more games for the DS, however they will probably be touch screen based like Phantom Hourglass. By no means am I against the newer styles, I understand that Nintendo has to keep their games new, and up to date. However I don't really want to see the buttons being used less and less.

What's your guys' opinions on this? Do you like the Basic Controller configuration, or that of the Wii?

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Well, since I don't have TP for the Wii, this Wii Remote will be a new addition to Zelda for me. I think I will like it, but let's see. Classic controllers may be preferred by some, so I think they should give an option to use it. Also, Justin made a thread talking about how some handicapped people won't be able to play SS for example because it might require them to stand up, etc. By the way, welcome to ZD!

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
I was so mad at the Wii for so long. I refused to believe it was a video game console. I eventually accepted it, but I am sad Classic controllers are on their way out. I am still excited for Skyward Sword though

P

PegasusBoots

That's a good point about SS. I think that it will live up to its expectation, but it will be different. If they added the use of the Classic Controllers to the options, I think that it would please a lot of people who aren't as "savvy" with the WiiMote and Nunchuk. Maybe that will open up as an idea in the next couple of games. Thanks for the welcoming, I didn't even know there was a site like this up until recently :)

I want to say Classic Controllers but they have been having a few flaw's about them (in my opinion): They're wired and go as far as they can. Wires can just snap in half. And it can't work altogether.
Wireless has that opposite effect. Oh, Classic Controller's, why oh why must you be a pain in te butt?♪

To be honest, I was never a fan of the Wii controller at all, and I'm still not. I find this controller to be the over-hyped, drawn out thing that you hate to see and hate to hear people talking about constantly like it's this big revolutionary thing. Kinect and Sony's Move have really made this idea even worse than it orignally was, and I hate thinking about it.

Even at that, what is supposed to get me up and move me around, has actually made me lazier than I was before. When I had a classic controller, I would pound away on those buttons, going through really fast combos and getting so aggressive with the controller that since I've gotten a Gamecube, I've gone through at least 6 controllers. And I bought mine what? 7 years ago? I've gone through and had a Wii for 3? or so now, and my first controller is still alive and kicking.

I'm overall excited about better motion control and better attacking, and all other advancements that we'll make in the future, but still, I don't think I can ever truly like a Wii controller, or at least as much as I like the classic.

jugglaj91

I am me....
While I do prefer the older "classic" controllers I am glad that companies are figuring out new ways to play games. I don't think that with all the hype of motion controls that it will be "the way to play" forever. Eventually controllers will come back to what we all knew and loved. It may just take some time.

And on the wires aspect, they made wireless controllers for the GCN, PS2, and Xbox. If you are going further back then yes I see a problem but it still wasn't that bad.

M

MountainTroll

i say, give me an option! it'd be fun to fight some battles in motion control, and i did have fun shaking like a moron in tp, but i'd rather use the gamecube controller or classic controller. they shouldn't limit us to constant motion control. but i haven't been disapointed in zelda yet, so let's just see what happens.

I like the Wiimote pretty well, and enjoy using it for the Mario Galaxy games. I enjoy my DS games a lot (although I wish the buttons were used more in the Zelda games).
I don't own TP on the Wii, but I played a bit of it at a friend's house and honestly I was kinda disappointed. I guess I like the experience of using the buttons and such - for me, remembering all the different motions and stuff was way more difficult and I felt disconnected from the game. I have considered many times trading my GC TP for a Wii version but I am afraid I will hate it and not want to play it ever again. I am very very worried about SS being Wii-only. I'm sure it's gonna be a great game, but I fear that I won't enjoy playing it as much as I have enjoyed the others in the past.

H

Houlihan

I've just finished playing TP for the first time. I don't play a lot of video games in general, but had SNES growing up and really loved LTTP. As much I liked TP I felt it definitely had problems with its controls. The biggest issue for me was the fact that swinging the Wiimote did not correspond to how Link used his sword in the game. So instead of using the Wiimote as a sword, you'd just shake it. While playing I was constantly thinking how much more fun the game would be if Link's sword would be used by pressing a button. Apparently they're working hard at Nintendo to overcome the sword problem for SS (in example by using the MotionPlus). In regards to basic movement in the game I felt like LTTP is lot more precise and enjoyable. With TP you were worried how Link would move because of the controls and the camera. Especially how Link took a step forwards while using his sword was infuriating. On the positive side I felt like using the clawshots and bow&arrows was a lot of fun, and supported the gameplay of TP. Hopefully SS will have all the basic control schemes fixed, 'cause the graphics seem a little underwhelming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom