• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Camera Control

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
One thing I really love about Wind Waker and Twilight Princess is that you can control the camera in those games using the right stick. Given that the primary method of controlling the Wii U is the gamepad, do you expect to see camera control return?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I really do hope so. It's such a little thing, the ability to move the camera around more freely, but it really makes the difference. Nothing's more annoying in a game than an awkward camera angle, blocking your view and the like. Since the Gamepad has all the necessary buttons and controls, I really see no reason why Nintendo wouldn't have it return.

The game pad has two stick, i've been assuming that a free camera would probably be set to the right stick like it was for the C-stick on the GC. I love free cameras in Zelda WW and TP were all the stronger and enjoyable for it, very immerssive, SS really needed one, it was the first thing i looked for when i jumped on the Loftwing, such a shame.

I'm pretty sure ZeldaU will have a free camera

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I really do hope so. It's such a little thing, the ability to move the camera around more freely, but it really makes the difference. Nothing's more annoying in a game than an awkward camera angle, blocking your view and the like. Since the Gamepad has all the necessary buttons and controls, I really see no reason why Nintendo wouldn't have it return.

Thing is, I've never had trouble in Zelda getting a proper idea of my surroundings with just targeting. Reason being, Nintendo clearly designs the games with that concept in mind. The camera control in the GameCube games was honestly just a luxury. It didn't provide any significant aid in tight situations.

Skittles

Rainbows!
I honestly missed it when playing SS. I was expecting it, and behold, when I needed to look for something in a room, I could no longer do so like I could in TP and WW. It was kind of disappointing, though, SS was tougher than those two games, anyways, so maybe it's not a bad thing either...

Still, I hope to see it's return in WWHD. It wouldn't feel right if they didn't include it, though, I guess they might put in motions controls instead (like playing with the Wind Waker like a baton. You know I might spend a day doing it too...maybe.) It really can help sometimes (at least it helped me personally) and it's kind of fun to use to. But, as Juicie said, it really was just a luxury...

T

thecoolmana777

I think they would definitely be missing a trick if they didn't as almost all (both first and third person) 3D games use that method nowadays it would feel almost unnatural not to! I would be ale to forgive them if they used the right analogue stick to do something truly innovative or if it was part of a new gameplay mechanic otherwise I'm almost 99% sure it will return like it did in WW and TP

I agree that they should have a free camera, there has been sometimes where I've had a hard time seeing something due to the lack of the free camera. I think that,with the new Wii U game pad and its two sticks, there will be a free camera. If anything they might use the game pad to look around like they do in the Nintendo Land game for the Wii U.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
The Free Camera was pretty much the only way I was able to 100% Twilight Princess, so I would naturally like to see it again. It really did kind of suck that it wasn't in Skyward Sword, but then again, it is such a small detail that it is easily forgivable. If they use it in TWWHD, then we will be able to assume that it will be in Zelda Wii U since we know it works. I am hoping it returns, since it makes exploration so much easier.

ILU

i luv u
Thing is, I've never had trouble in Zelda getting a proper idea of my surroundings with just targeting. Reason being, Nintendo clearly designs the games with that concept in mind. The camera control in the GameCube games was honestly just a luxury. It didn't provide any significant aid in tight situations.

I agree with JuicieJ on this one. Free camera in Zelda games isn't necessary. The designers omit it because it's just extra code that takes up space which could be used for other important mechanics. The designers do an excellent job of creating environments where players won't have to depend on free camera control.

However, while it's a luxury in Zelda games, other games have used it so much that it feels natural. When we pop in a game like SS, we notice its absence strongly because we're so used to having that ability.

Lack of a free camera in Zelda is a lot like the inability to jump. Neither are necessary in Zelda, but both abilities have become second nature in overall gaming, so when those abilities are revoked, we feel like we're being handicapped even though we really aren't.

Personally, I think that if Nintendo is so focused on making movement feel real, like an extension of your real self, free camera should be an option, luxury or not.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Gotta agree with JJ and ILU on this one... the only time I really used the free camera was during sailing on WW, because it made it easier to spot enemies. So its absence never bothered me much in SS, and I found the Beetle more than made up for it anyway, in regards to surveying/scouting an area.

That said, given the new controller I don't see why they wouldn't include it somehow, unless, as others have said, they desperately needed to save space. Though, I probably still not get much use out of it anyway...

Last edited:
As much as I loved the free camera control in Wind Waker, I honestly never missed having one in Skyward Sword. As long as there are other ways to easily survey the area, such as with a first person view, or an item like the Beedle, I'm fine with Nintendo discarding it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom