• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Breath of the Wild Reviews Thread

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
Metacritic: 98
Gamerankings: 98.22%

Gamexplain: Liked A Lot

"The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is ultimately a game about discovery, one in which you blaze your own path and what's important to accomplish, and how you go about doing so. And it's that exact sense of discovery and freedom that makes Breath of the Wild such a breath of fresh air."

Nintendo Life: 10/10

"The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a landmark release for its franchise and Nintendo. It's the first time that Nintendo has truly taken on the open-world genre in a current-generation sense; in arriving late to the party, though, it embraces some strengths from top-of-the-class games while also forging its own identity. This game is a revolution for the franchise, but the Legend of Zelda essence is still there - its soul remains.

The end result, then, is a captivating experience. This will be in the running as the best game in the IP's history, and it will likely be discussed as a leading contender in the broader open-world genre. Nintendo has bravely taken one of its biggest franchises in a new direction, and it's delivered a triumph."

IGN: 10/10

"The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a masterclass in open-world design and a watershed game that reinvents a 30-year-old franchise. It presents a wonderful sandbox full of mystery, dangling dozens upon dozens of tantalizing things in front of you that just beg to be explored. I’ve had so many adventures in Breath of the Wild, and each one has a unique story behind what led me to them, making them stories on top of stories. And even after I’ve spent more than 50 hours searching the far reaches of Hyrule, I still manage to come across things I haven’t seen before. I’ll easily spend 50 to 100 more trying to track down its fascinating moments."

Gamespot: 10/10

"Breath of the Wild is a defining moment for The Legend of Zelda series, and the most impressive game Nintendo has ever delivered."

Game Informer: 10/10

"Breath of the Wild is an achievement in the design of a living world. Hyrule is massive, with multiple environmental systems layered on top of a grand adventure. The only technical issue I encountered was one related to the framerate when fighting multiple enemies in busy forests. Despite the massive scope of the game, Breath of the Wild retains Nintendo’s knack for polish without any major technical hiccups to disrupt the experience. I was entranced by this version of Hyrule, and it surprised me at nearly every turn, from its wealth of discoveries to the way it shuns the established tropes of previous Zelda games. It represents a profound new direction for one of gaming’s best franchises and a new high point for open-world interactive experiences."

Easy Allies: 4.5/5

"Nintendo has achieved something really special with Breath of the Wild. All that’s holding it back are the glaring framerate issues, but even that’s not enough to dim the greatness that shines through. After trying for nearly a decade, the Zelda team has finally made a radical departure from the established Zelda formula. This is a bold new direction for the series, one that so perfectly embraces the spirit of the original NES adventure and re-imagines it for a new generation. Rather than striving to outdo Ocarina of Time, Nintendo has given us something entirely different, yet its impact is just as profound. Breath of the Wild is a landmark game that’s hopefully just the start of an amazing future for Link’s continuing adventures."

Last edited:
Are FPS drops in the Wii U version as well? Too bad I can't find any physical copies I don't want digital.

Yes. Theyre supposed to be much worse in WiiU version.

Switch has mild issues but even just the weather changing can slow down the WiiU version from what I've read.

Man that will be quite a huge disappointment for me, anything like that really takes you out of the experience. Let's hope it gets patched out, I don't know if I'll be buying day one anyways I really shouldn't.

Despite the reviews I remain extremely skeptical still. Hope I'm wrong.

*edit* anddddd i just impulse bought a switch. Guess I'm getting it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
10/10 still not done but this game is truly the next evolution of Zelda
— me, 40 hrs ingame

It's very encouraging to see such wide-spread critical acclaim. I'm not going to read any reviews myself for a while (already purchased the game, they won't help me decide anything), but it does make me all the more excited and hopeful that this will be the game that brings me back to Zelda.

I have to say though, it's very unfortunate that the only problem that seems to be here is the performance of the game. Makes you wonder if this would be considered a perfect game if it didn't have the Wii U holding it back, or if it was designed for the Switch from the beginning.

Rinku

Suupa Saiya-jin
About these framedrops. They seem random, sparse at their appearance. Meaning that some videos I've seen dont show them at all at the same locations others claim they exist. Have to try it myself to see them though.

And since when someone noticed framedrops in his game before someone else mentioned them? I mean when you are so immensely drawn into the world or gameplay or battle you hardly notice them, not to mention bother you.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Despite the framedrops?
muh framedrops is not an argument against the game, it's an argument against the engine + hardware combo not the game itself.
Bloodborne for example drops frames and has terrible frame pacing, doesn't affect the actual game itself though. BotW is the same situation. sure there are terrible drops but honestly, I can play any game in like 20fps as long as it's genuinely fun. and BOTW is genuinely fun.

Okay to "seriously" review the game:

Music - I'm not a musical genius or anything, can't even play an instrument, but the music they use is not used sparingly and it is not used except where it absolutely needs to be. This is wonderful. every song just fits the surrounding area like a new t-shirt.

Story - blah blah blah muh ebul ganon is back XD rescue the dumb broad zeldor and save the day!!!

Voice Acting (ENGLISH) - It's not bad but it's not spectacular. The King is okay, Deku Tree is okay, Mipha's VA is good, Revali's is good, Daruk is a white guy trying to sound black, Urbosa is good, and Zelda's is whack as ****. sometimes good sometimes bad. she shouldn't have been straight "british". I konw she's royalty but damn son.

/////////////////////////////////

Okay I got that out of the way. Now here is where I "seriously" review it as a Zelda game:

We knew the series' problems as of OoT, or I guess TWW/TP. Combat was too easy and unrewarding; there was very little reason to go into combat; puzzles were for 5 year olds; rupees were a dime a hundred; enemies weren't smart, didn't have a range of attacks, and hit too softly.

Well, BOTW takes the series' problems and takes a **** on them. Why?

-Because combat is inherently desirable thanks to breakable weapons. See, your enemies run with weapons all the time that you yourself use - if you need a weapon, you go into combat. You don't have to /win/ necessarily, because you can use a number of events to your disposble to wrest control of weps from the enemies - stasis and a heavy blow; leaving metal near an enemy during a lightning storm; parrying; explosions and more. Your weapons break, but you are constantly gaining weapons to offset that.

-Puzzles are still largely one dimensional...until they literally turn three dimensional inside dungeons. I won't spoil anything, but these puzzles will REALLY make ya think and pay attention to your surroundings.

-Rupees are hard as **** to find directly (thank Jesus) and even when you amass a lump sum of 6,000 (six thousand) rupees they'll be gone just like that after you purchase situational equipment (looking at you, Quillfeather clothing).

-Enemies still aren't too smart, but they have a whole range of attacks and many variants one shot you with ease.

So as a Zelda game, this game really is the next OoT. It's everything Skyward Sword should have but couldn't be, and more. And I haven't even properly reviewed the game, just said without proof that the game rectifies all the wrongs that the past twenty (20) years of Zelda have done. If I were you, I would take this text wall with a huge grain of salt but regardless...I haven't been able to put this mother****er down for the past three days. I've literally pulled two all nighters just to play this game and continue making progress. It's ****ing good.

iTEN/TEN 10/10 MUST PLAY

Last edited by a moderator:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
is the second highest on metacritic next to ocarina and all people can seem to talk about is framerate
The game is literally sitting at 98/100 as we speak. Just one point shy of my siggy.
And everyone is talking about framerate becshse it is severe and near constant.

Otherwise the game is Zelda but better in every single way. The ONLY real problem framerate aside is lack of involvement from certain characters.

I still won't trust anyone until I can judge for myself. Zelda/nintendo fans are crazy biased in my opinion.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
The game is literally sitting at 98/100 as we speak. Just one point shy of my siggy.
And everyone is talking about framerate becshse it is severe and near constant.

Otherwise the game is Zelda but better in every single way. The ONLY real problem framerate aside is lack of involvement from certain characters.
**** your siggy. You know damn well that had OoT not been the first 3D Zelda it wouldn't have gotten a 99, not to mention it's damn near impossible to get a 99 now and it was a lot more common to get perfect reviews back then. BotW is the new GOAT Zeldor, you better pay some respects and remove your gay signature that smells like dookie.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
No doubt OoT had its place in gaming hall of fame for its impact. That's really most of the reason it has 99/100 though. Seems like Breath of the Wild has moved above it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom