• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild BOTW Main Story Length

Hello all, I have heard that the game takes up to 40+ hours to complete (Main Story Only). I have done a decent amount of shrines and find myself finished with the second Divine Beast...Once I finish the final 2 divine beasts and get the master sword (as my own decision) is entering the castle and fighting Gannon really the end of the main story quest? I feel as thought this game will last way shorter than 40 hours if that is the case, and that it will be a rather short main story journey. Obviously, there is hundreds of hours worth of side stuff to do, but I am asking about the main story in specific. Thank you!

Ganon IS the end.

I did a lot of exploring and had an organic playthrough with something like 50+ hours clocked when i took down Ganon.

But given the length of the story. If you only do the 4 Beasts and then Ganon the game isnt going to take you long at all. The bulk of the playtime will be moving through the world to get from A to B.

Id say, if you knew exactly what you were doing and just did the Beasts and Ganon, the main quest would maybe last you 6-8 hours and that's being generous Its incredibly short.

Its the memories and shrines and exploration that pad it out.

Ganon IS the end.

I did a lot of exploring and had an organic playthrough with something like 50+ hours clocked when i took down Ganon.

But given the length of the story. If you only do the 4 Beasts and then Ganon the game isnt going to take you long at all. The bulk of the playtime will be moving through the world to get from A to B.

Id say, if you knew exactly what you were doing and just did the Beasts and Ganon, the main quest would maybe last you 6-8 hours and that's being generous Its incredibly short.

Its the memories and shrines and exploration that pad it out.

thank you for the response. Very dissapointing to hear that IMO. I don't understand how a Zelda main quest line could be that short. I know the game is mainly about exploration and all but I feel like the main quest line is just so short. Not to mention, Freeing the divine beasts is not as fun in my opinion, compared to going inside the fire temple or the Water temple in OOT. The main story quest so far just hasn't been as memorable as other games to me. I will try and do some more exploring to see if my opinion changes. Thanks again!

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
thank you for the response. Very dissapointing to hear that IMO. I don't understand how a Zelda main quest line could be that short. I know the game is mainly about exploration and all but I feel like the main quest line is just so short. Not to mention, Freeing the divine beasts is not as fun in my opinion, compared to going inside the fire temple or the Water temple in OOT. The main story quest so far just hasn't been as memorable as other games to me. I will try and do some more exploring to see if my opinion changes. Thanks again!
But OoT is only a 5 hour game to do the main story. Really the only games that are exceptions to the shorter play through times are the ones with either really long cutscenes or lots of travel time. Like skyward sword had cutscenes. Wind waker the great sea, abd tp was a mix of both. Even still, wind waker can be beat in 4 hours (Through use of a glitch to cut out travel time), so if this game is 6-8 hours to do just the beasts in ganon, that's not bad. To do all the main quests (the memories, the master sword, etc) and just them is arguably the proper completion run. Especially when you consider you could probably beat the gane in an hour if you're amazing.

According to the game itself, the main story includes the captured memories and getting the master sword as well, although you could certainly beat it without doing either of those.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I can plow through WW in probably 20 hours my man. But yeah, the focus of the game is definitely not the main story. It's the journey along the way.

I can plow through WW in probably 20 hours my man. But yeah, the focus of the game is definitely not the main story. It's the journey along the way.
Yeah I went to Zora's Domain and Rito Village really quickly and freed their divine beasts...I've been doing a lot of shrine hunting in order to get the 13 hearts for the Master Sword, and the exploration that comes with it is truly second to none!

But OoT is only a 5 hour game to do the main story. Really the only games that are exceptions to the shorter play through times are the ones with either really long cutscenes or lots of travel time. Like skyward sword had cutscenes. Wind waker the great sea, abd tp was a mix of both. Even still, wind waker can be beat in 4 hours (Through use of a glitch to cut out travel time), so if this game is 6-8 hours to do just the beasts in ganon, that's not bad. To do all the main quests (the memories, the master sword, etc) and just them is arguably the proper completion run. Especially when you consider you could probably beat the gane in an hour if you're amazing.
Beat OOT in 5 hours? I dont believe that...

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
Also should mention that my personal record for OoT is close to 6 hours, so it's not just like 1 guy can play the game really fast. There are a good number of shortcuts in that game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom