• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Zelda remake so far?

I was never a huge fan of the remakes. I still prefer the original versions. If I had to choose a remake, I would go with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D for the 3DS.

Ocarina of Time 3D, I'm actually playing that at the moment immersing myself into the nostalgia and enjoying every moment, it actually feels like a new game entirely since it's been so long since I played it on the N64.

TattooArtist

I'm the B and my boyfriend is the T in LGBT ❤
Say what you will but I personally love video game remakes, especially when Nintendo does them. I remember in the days of the SNES playing Super Mario All-Stars with remakes of the original Mario Bros, Mario Bros 2 and Mario Bros 3 bundled with the Lost Levels and Super Mario World, it was damn good...

Like Mario before them the Zelda remakes are doing damn fine too, much more than just ports or lazy HD washes, the Zelda remakes so far have been built from the ground up and give testament to the quality of Nintendo products. I also love having the opportunity to play brilliant games on upgraded hardware...

However you feel about remakes its safe to say that more will be coming (TPHD for example) but which Zelda remake so far has been your favourite and why?

Is it OoT3D, MM3D or WWHD?

OoT3D for example made every water-based mission much more enjoyable by turning the Iron Boots into an item instead of being equipped as gear. It also listed the songs for the ocarina on the subscreen to save having to remember difficult button combinations.

MM3D fixed the saving system and made things easier by being able to move forward through time to any time of the day you liked.

WWHD made great use of bloom lighting and the gamepad and also 'fixed' the Triforce quest...

So, which Zelda remake so far has been your favourite?

I quite like the Ocarina of Time re-make for 3DS but I think my favourite has to be Wind Waker for the Wii U as it looks so much better:jake:

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
My list ranked from most changed to least changed:
  1. Majora's Mask 3D had the most changes as far as slightly different boss methods, getting the bomber's notebook from the HMS instead the lead bomber himself, two new fishing ponds, one extra side quest, one extra bottle, stone mask location changed, banker location changed, song of double time is more helpful, more save points, hint system back from OoT 3D but only in the clock tower, massively improved graphics, and slightly changed gameplay. Only nuisances were changed Deku Link control functions and Zora Link control functions. While everything is great, fine, and at least the Goron Link control functions were improved, which helped when getting the gold dust needed to the get the gilded sword. So, to me, this was the best Zelda remake as it was the remake that was the most changed, so much that it actually felt the most like a new game than the others did.
  2. Ocarina of Time 3D: Master Quest made up for the lack of much change in the Ocarina of Time quest. The world was mirrored, which makes me feel like I'm playing a different Zelda game every time I play it. Much like the normal quest on the same card and MM3D, this remake also has the same improved graphics. Enemies do double damage, which makes the game more of a challenge. Also, using the glitches to do the dungeons in this remake is much more fun than doing it in the remake of the normal quest as it feels more like a new game that way. Which is why this is my second favorite.
  3. Ocarina of Time 3D: Normal Quest. Like the two above, this remake also has the same updated and much more beautiful graphics than it's N64 counterpart. Like MM 3D, there is a hint system. There's also a boss challenge mode which helps with making the game feel like a new game. Also, you no longer need to go the equipment subscreen to change the boots as in this remake and in Master Quest 3D, you can use your Iron Boots and Hover Boots as usable items. Which is really helpful when taking on the dreaded Water Temple. Thus, making this the third best and the third most changed.
  4. Wind Waker HD didn't really have as much changes as I was originally expecting and hoped for. It was a somewhat disappointing but also satisfying remaster. I wouldn't call it a remake as it was literally the game, ported from the Gamecube, but minor improvements. Like, take for example, the improved shading, lighting, and new bloom effects, a bit more definition to the models, new Swift Sail for faster and easier sailing, Hero Mode for more challenge, and the ability to get the Triforce pieces at any time to make it feel less long of game. Thus putting this so low on this list, it lacked any real major changes.
  5. Twilight Princess HD was literally just a port with slight improvements that are mostly only noticeable when actually playing the remaster. Literally, the only real changes are, the new stamp quest, the pointless and useless Ghost Lantern, more improved detail in the graphics (only truly noticeable when experiencing the game on an HD TV for yourself), slight change in the horseback control functions (likely to assimilate and tease what horseback could be like in Breath of the Wild), less tears of light to collect in Twilight Hyrule segments of the game, and the Amiibo functionality (which includes the Cave of Shadows that contains the larger wallet at the end). Not counter Hero Mode simply because that is simply just the Wii Version given the same treatment but only except the enemies do double damage, which is pretty much the only thing new about that. So this is definitely the least changed thus why it's at the very bottom of the list.
So with that said, Majora's Mask 3D is the best remake and Wind Waker HD is best remaster in my opinion.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Ihategirahim beat me to it but LADX was the first and best remake of a Zelda game. It didn't have to change much but it was a great was to bring one of the finest Zelda games to a new console before Virtual Console existed. And it's the only Zelda to use a printer in its implementation. Yeah, a printer.

Funny how little people know about TP HD. That game actually recieved more visual upgrades than WW HD on a technical level. The reason it looks like WW HD got more is because the cell shaded visuals aged better than the realistic them of TP. It causes you to think WW got more instead of the other way around.

Anyway, on topic I give my vote to Majora's Mask 3D. The meat amd potatoes of that game is the side quests and they made them much smoother with the notebook changes. Throw in the boosted visuals and it is a win in my book. However I do think they should have left the boss battles alone however.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I'm glad others have commented on LADX. Links awakening was my first Zelda and I loved it so I was really excited when DX got released mainly for the colours and the new dungeon. Second would be MM3D I never owned a gamecube so haven't played the original I know the differences that I have read up on.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
In my own opinion I would have to go with OoT3DS because of the option to replay boss battles. I really like how things changed. I can't vote for MM3DS because I never played the original game. And about WWHD, our dear Bok couldnt have said it better. I loved how they made not only the boat be able to sail faster, but also, you didn't have to spend much time waiting for a chest to come up when you found treasure at sea.
I was not impressed with TPHD. Yes the controls worked better (I actually liked the horse controls way better) and the graphics were smooth but it didn't give me a WOW vibe.

While OoT3d took an amazing game and made it better, WWhD took a game that I wasn't super into during its original release and made it so amazing looking and fun that I finally beat it!

Also I guess this doesn't count as a remake but when ALTTP was released on the gba that was awesome for me. I hadn't had an SNES so to not only play it but play it anywhere was incredible.

Monja Elisa

Hyrulean Princess
well to be honest... I kinda feel like each game remake has its own charms..... but in general from all the remakes I have played.... I think I have to settle and say the best one is ocarina of time.
being able to replay oot was special in itself... and while I already loved+adored the original graphics... I just feel like the remake made everything better <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom