• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Art and Graphic Style

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Alright, I guess there's 2 questions in this one. Which art and graphical style do you think they'll go with, and what do you wish they'd go with?

Personally, I'd love to see it as realistic as they can get it. Not saying I don't like the cartoon look of Skyward Sword, but it's in HD now, and I think they could really make an entirely beautiful world like they did in the demo a couple years ago. And I also do think that's what they'll do, considering they just did cartoony watercolors with Skyward Sword. I think they'd go back to a Twilight Princess feel of grittyness, which I would love. But what do you guys think/hope?

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
Don't say realistic here. People will freak out on you.

Me, I don't want to see another SS again. I want to see something stylized and highly detailed like Fable Legends.

It would appear from a few threads I've seen that "realism" isn't popular here and that's fine everyone has their own opinion but I thoroughly believe this game will be a lot like Twilight Princess. At the time TP was basically "realistic" and I thought well think for that matter that it is one of the better looking Zelda games out there.

Obviously what I'd personally like to see is a very realistic game. Mostly because they've really milked this look from basically SS and WW enough. It's time for some sort of a change in my opinion.

I was really impressed with the visuals in the trailer for Hyrule Warriors, and if they went for a similar look to that, I'd be pretty happy with it.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I want to see a TP feel, but with less grittiness and more focus on bringing more vibrant colors to the mix. TP was great, but everything felt muted.

Salem

SICK
Don't say realistic here. People will freak out on you.
:trollface:

Me, I don't want to see another SS again. I want to see something stylized and highly detailed like Fable Legends.
Of course it will, the Wii U is a more powerful console than the Wii, so OF COURSE it will use more detail than past Zelda games.

It's like advocating that consoles should have video games.....wait.....

It would appear from a few threads I've seen that "realism" isn't popular here and that's fine everyone has their own opinion but I thoroughly believe this game will be a lot like Twilight Princess. At the time TP was basically "realistic" and I thought well think for that matter that it is one of the better looking Zelda games out there.

Obviously what I'd personally like to see is a very realistic game. Mostly because they've really milked this look from basically SS and WW enough. It's time for some sort of a change in my opinion.
TP wasn't realistic. IT had the same style as SS, minus the cell-shading.

The truth is, the discussion should NOT be realistic vs. non-realistic.

It is if you want cell-shading vs non-cell-chading.

That's all, everything else is not really that important.

Carry on.

Last edited:
I'm expecting something between the lines of TP and SS or like tech demo since they would want to take advantage of WiiU's capabilities. But in all honesty, I wish they'd just stick to WW's style.

I would like to see something like TP but more detailed and perhaps fewer earthy tones, and I say death to toon graphics they have been over used its time for Nintendo to go with more evolved graphics that actually show the systems potential.

Last edited:
It's kinda hard to say. I did mention in another thread that I think Zelda U should have the same graphical style as TP, but in HD. I don't want the game to have a more realistic style because Zelda is a fantasy-styled series.

Frankly, I enjoy the graphic styles of all of the games, so I'll be happy with anything. I would love to see them go with a graphic style that is as completely shocking now as Wind Waker's graphics were at the time, but frankly I'm just not even sure what that would look like. The "Hyrule Warriors" trailer really strikes me an updated OoT look, and I'm pretty excited about that.

Also, I just want to throw out that I feel like everyone has a different definition of "realism" and that some people think it contradicts a "fantasy" atmosphere. Lord of the Rings and The Elder Scrolls are typically regarded as fantasy franchises that employ realism (TES in its games, LOTR in several of its games and film adaptations). Just because characters have proper proportions doesn't necessarily mean that they can't be fantastical characters. Also, consider that just in terms of graphics "realistic" can be applied to character models, character actions, environment, lighting, character interaction with environment, etc. Link's proportions in Skyward Sword are much more realistic than in Wind Waker, but the environments of Skyward Sword are often less realistic than OoT. Defining a game's graphics as 'strictly realistic" vs "strictly non-realistic" often doesn't make a lot of sense, and in the LoZ series it almost never makes sense. It is a false dichotomy..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom