• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ark's Perplexing Puzzles

arkvoodle

Diabolical
PUZZLES ARE BACK! Linksbro321 got the right answer, by the way.

Michael Heide- 132PP
Durion- 130PP
Steve- 82PP
Athenian200- 62PP
Meego7- 61PP
Destiny- 40PP
Epwna- 35PP
Locke64- 30PP
SheikahWarrior- 17PP
TheGreen- 22PP
SuperSilly- 20PP
Linksbro321-20PP
February Eve- 19PP
Xinnamin- 15PP
Josh- 14PP
Baysiderulez- 12PP
Jedizora- 9PP
ComposerBrother- 7PP
Cucco Power- 5PP
K4King- 5PP
Magatha- 5PP
Penguinboy82- 5PP
Hazel- 2PP

Puzzle 054- 100 Years War- 10PP

How long did the Hundred Years War last?

Last edited:

arkvoodle

Diabolical
A history question? 116 years.

Correct!

The puzzle was in the title really. I expected someone to say "100 years!"

Puzzle 055- A Question Of Cards- 40PP

I ask Alex to pick any 5 cards out of a deck with no Jokers.

He can inspect then shuffle the deck before picking any five cards. He picks out 5 cards then hands them to me (Peter can't see any of this). I look at the cards and I pick 1 card out and give it back to Alex. I then arrange the other four cards in a special way, and give those 4 cards all face down, and in a neat pile, to Peter.

Peter looks at the 4 cards i gave him, and says out loud which card Alex is holding (suit and number). How?

The solution uses pure logic, not sleight of hand. All Peter needs to know is the order of the cards and what is on their face, nothing more.

S

s4ad0w

I think the four cards Peter looks at form some sort of pattern, that once he sees them, he's able to continue the pattern to the next card in the series, which is Alex's card.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
You arranged the four cards that you had into a pattern, then Peter knew what the next card in the pattern was.

I said in an earlier post that agreement posts would be ignored. They're pretty pointless. You won't get any prizes for agreement.
Also, it's the wrong answer.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
If you pick out 2 cards of the same suit then pick a card for alex where if you add a number no bigger than 6 it will add up to the number of the other card in the same suit. So Peter can use an encoding system using numbers 1 through 6...I can't quite remember it...I think it is where each card is ranked individually from 1 to 52. (so the two of hearts is 1, the two of diamonds is fourteen or something). So you can choose from 6 combinations but it depends on where you put the lower and higher cards. I think it's that but this one is really hard.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
If you pick out 2 cards of the same suit then pick a card for alex where if you add a number no bigger than 6 it will add up to the number of the other card in the same suit. So Peter can use an encoding system using numbers 1 through 6...I can't quite remember it...I think it is where each card is ranked individually from 1 to 52. (so the two of hearts is 1, the two of diamonds is fourteen or something). So you can choose from 6 combinations but it depends on where you put the lower and higher cards. I think it's that but this one is really hard.

Perfect! :D 34PP to you~

Puzzle 055- Cut the cake! -5PP

How is it possible to cut a traditional circular cake into 8 equal size pieces, with only 3 cuts?

Cut it once, put the other half on top of the other, cut that in half, and you get four pieces. Then stack them on each other, and cut them all in half again.

Perfect! :D 24PP to you~

Puzzle 055- Cut the cake! -5PP

How is it possible to cut a traditional circular cake into 8 equal size pieces, with only 3 cuts?

Also, I believe you mean 34, unless the 40pp for the question was a typo.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Cut the cake in half first, then cut it again into 4 pieces then again through the middle of the cake so you get 8 pieces, but by through the middle I mean like you cut a fillet. So you get 8 thinner pieces. :D

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Cut the cake in half first, then cut it again into 4 pieces then again through the middle of the cake so you get 8 pieces, but by through the middle I mean like you cut a fillet. So you get 8 thinner pieces. :D

Correct a mundo :D 2PP~

Puzzle 056- Safe House- 10PP

Frank leaves home. When he tries to return, a man wearing a mask blocks his path.

1.) What is Frank doing?
2.) What is the masked man's occupation?
3.) Where is Frank's "safe place?"

arkvoodle

Diabolical
1. Playing baseball.
2. Catcher.
3. The base.

C-C-CORRECT! Ba ding~

Puzzle 057- 5 houses - 30PP
~Submitted by Flagpole~​

We have five houses, each one of one color. Each house has an owner of a different nationality. The five owners drink different things, smoke different cigarettes and have different pets. None of the owners has the same pet, smoke the same cigarette or drinks the same thing.
Thanks to the following information, you should tell which owner has a fish as a pet:

1. The norwegian lives in the first house, next to the blue house.
2. The owner of the house of the center drinks milk.
3. The english man lives in the red house.
4. The swedish's pet is a dog.
5. The danish drinks tea.
6. The green house is on the left side of the white house.
7. The man of the green house drinks coffee.
8. The man who smokes PallMall has birds as pets.
9. The man of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
10. The man who smokes Blend is next to the man who has cats as its pets.
11. The one who owns horses is next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
12. The man who smokes Bluemaster drinks beer.
13. The german smokes Prince.
14. The man who smokes Blend has a neighbour that drinks water.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
6. The green house is on the left side of the white house.
Does that mean directly adjacent to each other? Or just a generic "somewhere to the left"?

Edit: Never mind. Logic rules out the possibility that they're direct neighbors.

The fish owner lives in the green house on the far left, is Norwegian, likes to drink coffee and smokes Blend.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom