• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are You Observant?

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
For the most part I wouldn't say I'm so observant. I can look into someone's eyes for the longest time and still not recall afterwards what color they were. I'm not all that good with noticing new haircuts or clothes (unless it's more of a drastic in-your-face change), but I feel I'm good with picking up moods, expressions and such.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I have been accused of having ESP because I "pick up on things."

At the same time, I've said to people who've wanted me to do something that they can't be subtle with me, they have to come right out and say it.

So, I don't know. Maybe I'm observant or even borderline psychic on general things, but when it comes to a person's specific intentions, their tip-toeing around it just makes me angry.

I do know this for a fact, though: I'm not nearly as stupid as people seem to take me for. I know when someone (particularly a boss or some authority figure) is wearing a big, fake smile and is talking to me in what they think is a calming, civilized manner - I know when they're being condescending to me, possibly even bald-faced lying to me and they think they can get away with it because I'm "emotional" or they know the condition that I have and somehow they think "mentally off-kilter" means "mentally ********" (when my major malfunction is almost the opposite - something a lot of creative geniuses have had). Seems to happen sometimes on the Internet, too, particularly in discussions of beliefs - people tend to have sterotypes then very rationally trip over all kinds of irrational statements. Very often, with me, people do get away with it unless they are very close to me and/or I feel a social equal - because sometimes, if I want to keep whatever job I have at the time, I've gotta shut up and take being condescended to. Other times, I just don't want to deal with the wrath of someone caught in hypocrisy by pointing it out, since people hate being caught by "stupid" people who are smarter than they thought and will get defensive. Sometimes even an online argument isn't worth it.

Better to let people think you're dumber than you are while keeping what you need to have and quietly snickering behind their back.

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
I am quite observant and analytical, if I ever come by something of interest or importance I am likely to look into it as much as possible, and will often at times check a source of information several times to ensure that I can gain any new information that may be of use to me on the subject at hand. Also, I will often remember things somebody mentioned in a previous conversation and bring them up in later discussions if I feel it be appropriate, and overall I can say that in some instances I will be able to recognize how a person is feeling based on their words or behavior patterns. That's not to say that I make inaccurate observations though, sometimes I end up being spot on while otherwise I'm off by whatever amount, in the latter cases I will usually try to gain the proper understanding as soon as possible.

Dan

Oh wow everyone is Super L33t observer here. I don't wanna brag but I believe I am the most Ulter Super L33t Hax observer here, my observer skillz outmatch any of yours. In all seriousness I will noticed when someone's attitude towards me changes, this causes issues as I can't let things fall into place naturally and too many people won't understand my actions until much later, that's how fast I pick up on it. People are far too often hesitant on believing me, but after a certain time that natural order does fall in place and I get to say "told you so" ;p

Hm. Am I observant...

From an artistic standpoint, yes I am. An artist's greatest tool, better than their paper or canvas, their brush or pen, is their ability to observe. Their ability to see how light and shadow come together, how things move, how they grow, what shapes form them. Part of the reason so may say I am a good artist is because I can observe how things work in real life and transfer it to paper. It just makes sense to me. I learn more form the world around me--even from myself--than I ever could from a book or instructor.

From a puzzle-solving or searching standpoint, heck no. My eyes skirt right around the important things, and even when they're in incredibly obvious locations, I can't find anything--in real life or in a video game. You should never ask me to go retrieve something without specific directions as to its location, because I will probably never find it. Or at least, not for months until after I need it.
Continuous playing of various Zelda games has taught me how to puzzle-solve, to an extent, and as an intelligent person I don't struggle too much nowadays when it comes to puzzles. But my problem is that I look right over the important things.

From an emotional standpoint? It's hard to say. There's something about my face that makes it nearly impossible to read my emotions properly. When I am sad, I will see infuriated. When I am angry, I will seem on the verge of tears. When mildly amused, people have told me how menacing, irked, or even flirtatious I appear. Things that have nothing at all to do with my true emotions appear to people, and when they voice them, saying "Don't cry" or "Don't get mad at me", it just tilts my emotions dangerously in that direction, convincing people that they're right. I can't stand being misread, to the point that I tell people to never try to interpret my emotions via appearances, but my actions when flustered always seem angry, and I will never state my feelings. It's as if the same thing that retrains me form being able to ask for things, no matter how small, restrains me from saying how I feel as well. It's difficult to work around, frustrating, and even embarrassing at times. I'm not proud of it in the least, but it's the way I am.

As a result of this, my own interpretation of people's emotions are warped, but I am known among my friends and family as a person they can trust, one they can talk to about anything. i will never tell a secret, and people say that I can sympathize with everyone, and always offer consolation with an appropriate solution to the latest drama. As an outsider, I have that ability, to be able to put myself in other's shoes without the bias. Perhaps another part of that is that I prefer to eliminate all connections or differentiation of right and wrong--I simply don't believe in those forces. From just whata person can tell me or a few hours with them, i know how to say just the right thing, offer just the right answer. Even when i meet a person and know them for thirty minutes or less, I'll find myself spouting random psychology that it turns out they've had on their mind all their life.

So I'm not sure what to say for this one. I'm an uninterpretable therapist of sorts, I suppose.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Yes I am. In fact it has caused some people to avoid me or dislike me like my mom's ex-boyfriend. He was telling such ridiculous stories and I didn't believe a word he said right from the beginning. This caused a huge animosity between us. I always keep on thinking when someone tells me something. I don't talk more than just "yes, right". Sometimes I wish I was less observative though. But when people tell me stories I always observe and listen carefully and focus on the alert message in my head

Do you know if anyone taught you to act like this or did you find it instinctual?

lol I've been meaning to reply to this for a while now.

Yeah, I think it sorta just came along with that whole "quiet guy" thing. After all, quiet people do tend to be great listeners. I guess I've spent so much of my life being silent that I've come to observe things better. I don't even do it on purpose; it just sorta...happens. :J

Eduarda

Srishti is annie is eduarda right?
No. Not really. I'm not very observant. I really don't notice people, or my surroundings. My family laughs at it all the time. It's like my brain is always on sleep mode. I just don't notice things unless I'm paying close attention.

A good example was when my mother and I went to pick up my Grandmother from the airport, my mother left to find her, and I was waiting in the car. She then called me to come to her and help pick up the things. So I went, but I could not recognize my own mother! I have bad eyesight, and I don't like wearing glasses. So I couldn't see anyone's facial features from far away. All I had to help me was what she was wearing that day. And I didn't remember what she was wearing. It was good that she eventually found me :P

Another example is that I don't know if I've eaten lunch or not. I can go a whole day not eating anything, and if I don't feel any hunger pangs, then I wouldn't even notice I hadn't eaten anything at all :P That happened to me once when I was reading a book. I read it from morning to night, and I was so immersed in the book, that I didn't feel hungry. Only when I was done the book at night, did I realize that I had only eaten breakfast the whole day :xd:

But when it comes to body language and tone of voice, boy do I notice that. I hate it when I'm talking to someone and they don't look at me. If they were working on work, then it would be fine. But if they were doing nothing, but not looking at me as I speak to them, then I would get annoyed. I focus on body language a lot, and am very sensitive when people show disrespect when I speak to them - by not looking at me, by slouching, I concentrating on something else. I notice these things. But not my surroundings. I don't know why :P

Imprisoned

*~German Sparkle Party~*
Now, who wants me to recite their posting habits/quirks from the time they joined until present?

Try it. I dare you.

I am not an observant person. Not in the least. I forgot I was wearing my hat this morning from the time I put it on through a half-hour busride to school. I can spend half an hour looking at something and not noticing anything different about it.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I want to say "Yes, very", but that's not entirely true. I'm more observant than most people, but I'm about moderately observant. I notice more than most, but I know I don't see the whole picture most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom