• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are we going to see more new IPs from Nintendo?

Splatoon may have started out as a Mario game and time will tell if making it into its own beast will have significant impact on its sales... But does the existence of Splatoon mean Nintendo are wanting to push some new IPs?

With the heavy hitters already available for the Wii U such as Mario Kart, Smash Bros, 3D Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Yoshi, Pikmin, Mario Party and more besides and with Zelda U (eventually) coming, there's little left for Nintendo to reveal that need their compulsory current gen outing. We know we're getting Starfox and Metroid U is probably a dead cert for an E3 reveal, but apart from maybe F-Zero (ha!) and Animal Crossing U there wont be many IPs left for nintendo to hit it big with.

Of course outsourcing projects like Hyrule Warriors and Pokken may be revealed at e3 too...

But do you think we'll see anything new like we did with Splatoon last year?
Do you think new IPs are what Nintendo should focus on?
Do you think any to-be-revealed IPs should break the Nintendo mold? A horror IP perhaps?

Miyamoto has made it clear that unless a game can offer a unique take on gameplay, there's no point in creating an IP. That's kind of what happened with Pikmin- it was originally going to be a game called Mario 128, but Nintendo realized that this wouldn't feel like a Mario game so they created Pikmin.

NES had Mario, LoZ, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Ice Climbers, Mother (though it only saw light in the West as the SNES Earthbound), Kirby
The SNES had Star Fox, F, Zero, Donkey Kong (in it's current form)
The N64 had Animal Crossing (though it only came outside Jap on the GC) and Smash Bros
The GC had Pikimin
The Wii had Mii
The WiiU has Splatoon

These are the main Nintendo IPs.

Pen

The game is on!
I'd really like it if Nintendo would make a new IP. I know that, if theres something Nintendo is really good at, it's making games with very enjoyable gameplay (at least imo). If they'd make a new IP with some cool new gameplay I think either a steampunk setting or a setting in some historical time period would be amazing. :)

Also, off topic, we need a new Kid Icarus game for the Wii U!!!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I doubt many notable ones. Nintendo aren't a company that really experiments with its main releases and they pretty much stay within their comfort zone. I argue that it's a recipe for disaster if you stick to it. Some may argue that Nintendo fans will always buy the console so it isn't a problem, but the Wii U has proved that point wrong.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I doubt we'll see any new IP's which will replace, or be added to, Nintendo's current repertoire, but I'm still optimistic we'll see some creative, new IPs. They've got the money and they've got talented teams working there, the higher ups just need to give them the okay to stop churning out the same stuff everytime and make Splatoon not a one-off thing.

Really?! I'm gonna have to check that out. Is it something Nintendo is developing?
http://codenamesteam.nintendo.com

It's already out and that is the website for the game. The game didn't get the best reviews though. So it's something I'd really look into before purchasing. If I owned a 3DS I don't know if I'd like it. But some others might. And it also is compatible with the Fire Emblem Amiibo too.

Reactions: Pen

Salem

SICK
I heard years back that Miyamoto is making a new IP and it has something to do with "swimming" meaning that inspired him to make the IP the same way gardening inspired Pikmin.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
If they can come up with either new gameplay or a twist on an old concept that deserves it's own IP then yeah. Eventaully it will happen. I'm just tired of the spin off games or games that became spin off. I mean look at kirby epic yarn. It could of been its own Ip with prince fluff who was going to star it. Then they went oh look he is similiar to kirby. Bam kirby spin off. Yoshi's wooly world could of been his sequel.

InsomniacAttack

wtf did u say about me u little mcnuggit?
I think they're testing out a bunch of new IPs now on purpose. If games like Splatoon are successful, then I think they will continue to try out new IPs.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Nintendo already has a butt-load of IPs. More than you realize. The problem is that they're using only a handful of the ones they have, and are ignoring the rest. I mean, we think they're ignoring them, because we haven't seen or heard anything from them. But it seems that way, at least.

This is just my opinion, of course.

But you gotta think of all the IPs that Nintendo owns, that they're not using. So many. SO MANY. And I get it, most people prefer games they know already, and that's why things like Call of Duty are popular. But seriously ... Nintendo could be doing so much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom