• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Architectural History, from Tears of the Kingdom to Skyward Sword

What are the Zonai lights moddled after?

• Brightbloom

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Lotus

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Dragon egg

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • None of these, hear me out.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
I am personally a fan of the idea that the past of Tears of the Kingdom is the time before Skyward Sword. To this end, I went through both games, comparing features of the structures. I originally grabbed screenshots from both games, with the intent of posting comparisons. Instead, to make this as spoiler free, and as accessible as possible, I will only provide pictures from Skyward Sword, and will try to speak about Tears of the Kingdom vaguely enough to not spoil anything, while hopefully providing enough detail for each of you to know what I am even talking about.

Firstly, I would like to start with this image:
SS 001.jpg

These designs are found around the goddess statue, in the sealed grounds, and a few other places, throughout Skyward Sword. These patterns are also found in the recent games, Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom, on many structures throughout Hyrule, such as the Lanayru Promenade. It would be easy for Hyrulian builders to replicate these features, and maintain them. To be clear, this does not suggest that the current structures, such as the promenade, were built by Zonai, as well. It does suggest that the society built after Skyward Sword has survived until Tears of the Kingdom. The sealed grounds, and the fallen Goddess statue would have been easily accessed by early Hyrulian builders. This means that there was only one Hyrule between the two games.

This continuation is further supported by the circuitry designs found on ancient Shiekah productions, found mostly in Breath of the Wild, but can also be found in Tears of the Kingdom. The designs are also seen in Skyward Sword. One example, I will present here:SS Curcuit 004.jpg
But, the design is also seen on the portals of time, one of the boss keys, and on the sealing spike, all in Skyward Sword. There is at least one Shiekah in the past of Skyward Sword, so there is room for debate if all of this tech was created by Shiekah, from the beginning, or if this is one aspect they latched onto while reverse engineering Zonai technology. This gets even muddier when taking in the theory of time traveling Shiekah, originating from the future. Either way, this also indicates a continuum between the games.

Another connection, but even more vague, is the ship from Skyward Sword:SS Ship 01.jpg
This ship has the ability to go invisible, which does not, as I am aware, carry over, but the color scheme, and patterns should look familiar, if you work through the main story of Tears of the Kingdom. Interestingly, the intended crew for this ship, in the picture, are robotic lifeforms, so it makes since that there is no galley.

In the ship, there is also an interesting symbol, on the walls:SS Symbol 01.jpg
Many have already suggested this to be a Zonai swirl, but the exact mark, minus the V shaped wings on either side, can be found on the bird (possibly Rito) like statues in the Thyphlo Ruins. I've always associated these swirls with the Kokiri, to be honest, but the connection to the Rito is interesting.

With the general connections, indicating a casual continuation, lets move onto the Zonai ruins we saw in Breath of the Wild. A major theme in these ruins were the dragon shapes. Huge square blocks were shaped to look like the Asian style dragon, and some carvings look like dragons moving back and forth, in a square shaped pattern. This carving can easily be found in the Thyphlo ruins, on some pillars, in Tears of the Kingdom. Then there are also some structures, in the depths, that have similar square shaped Asian style dragons, such as what are commonly called elevators. That easily connects with this key, from Skyward sword:SS Dragon 003.jpg
This Door:SS Dragon 001.jpg
And, this gate:SS Arch 002.jpg

The gate style looks familiar. Here is another, from the same area, that is freestanding:SS Arch 003.jpg

Many Zonai structures we find in Tears of the Kingdom have a similar basic building structure; namely the two pillars, topped with a header that runs past the two pillars. Many can be found freestanding, and not all with the same dealing. An example of this, in Tears of the Kingdom, is below the Death Mountain area. It is also important to point out that not all Zonai structures are shown to have this type of archway doorways. At least one round topped door is seen in one of the memories.

The door, in that memory is not the focus of the scene, so details beyond square patterns, and a lotus pattern are not easy to see. Though lotus patterns are also a common theme. In Tears of the Kingdom, they can be found in many places. I don't think the Zonai lights are meant to be lotus flowers, but bright blooms. The pasterns I am talking about can often be found in the little round device staging pads. Skyward Sword is full of Lotus shapes. Here are just a few:SS Lotus 001.jpg
This one being similar to the door in the memory I had mentioned.SS Lotus 002.jpg
And, this skylight being almost the exact same pattern as the device staging pads.

There are many more examples, and I encourage you to go back, and check out the game for yourself, but I need to keep the ideas moving. (I have also apparently reached the maximum ten pictures, so I will post the rest in a reply, as soon as I post this.) See, similar to the flower petals are designs that could be feathers, or scales. They can be found in many Zonai structures, adorning the walls, such as in the shrines. The most interesting example I found, in Skyward Sword, is found on the back of the head of the figure in the Ancient Cistern. I also see the cistern as a possible, in universe, prototype for the light shrines, in that it connects to the depths, and appears to be purifying the water. I also think this temple may reference the Zora and Rito existing before Skyward Sword, and I plan on making a deeper dive into that, at a later date, as that topic is bound to contain far more spoilers. Long story short, I believe the Cistern predates the light shrines, and even led to their eventual construction. Just look at the space below:

Plus, many of the structures feature round elements, that protrude out from the structure, some of which are even intended to be jumped from:

There is also the artwork detailing the history, presented in the beginning of Tears of the Kingdom. This style is called relief. While we don't see the same exact thing for Skyward Sword's prologue, looking more like paint on stone, We do see reliefs, providing information. Many of these reliefs utilize hard angles, just like the ones in Tears of the Kingdom. the differences between them are indicative of different artists using the same techniques.

Next are the glowing letters, related to holy power. If you have completed a light shrine, you have seen these. They are also in memories, and even in the game's opening. These can be found in Skyward Sword, on the time gate, as it is about to be unlocked, and the trial gates. The trial gates also have a pattern that could be a lotus, feathers, or even scales. (Pictures to also follow) The time gate also has another connection. I have long proposed that the Temples of Time we have seen untill now have been connected by portals, even construction through higher dimensions. The cogs on either side of the gate of time emerge from portals. Portals, though a different color, are entered through the light temples, in Tears of the Kingdom. The temples also have a shape similar to the one that seals Zelda, in Skyward Sword.

Then we have the robotic people, and even guards. Their presence in both games generally use what looks like stone, and they all have floating body parts. Even Koloktos, from Skyward Sword.

I also thought the animal represented in the fire dungeons, in Skyward Sword were interesting. There are snakes and lions, which don't correlate to anything I can recall from Breath of the Wild, or Tears of the Kingdom. The frog may be related to the salamander that the salamander that Vah Rudania was based on, from Breath of the Wild, based on it being amphibians that connected to fire. Then there is the elephant relating to Vah Ruta. Then there are obviously birds... Vah Medoh.

As an aside, in the Skipper's Cabin, in Skyward sword, there is what looks like a biplane whale, which reminds me of the figure suspended from the ceiling of Purah's Lab, in Hateno. Many have suggested that this is a divine beast we have yet to see in action. (More pictures to follow.)

The final kicker, is the statue of the owl king!

Constructs, and robotic life forms:
SS Construct 3.jpg
SS Construct 1.jpg
Animals represented in the fire temples:
SS Animal Snake (2).jpg
SS Animal Lion (2).jpg
SS Animal Frog (2).jpg
Vah Ruta?
SS Animal Elephant.jpg
Vah Medoh?
SS Animal Birds.jpg
Missing Divine Beast?
SS Guardian 1 (2).jpg

And, to cap it all off. the final kicker...
King Owl!
SS Animal Owl (2).jpg
It's not even just an image of an owl wearing a crown, but the puzzle to get the boss key to the dungeon even refers to an owl king.

Some of these are kind of a stretch(like the whole Zelda and light crystal thing being the most notable, considering that they aren't the same colour and you have to flip them), but others like the Owl King connection and the glowing symbols of holy power are interesting; is that Zonai or Sheikah, though? They both have letters like that. Also, I doubt those statues are intended references to Vah Ruta and Medoh; while Medoh's namesake is considered ''unknown'' according to CaC, Ruta's name is derived from Ruto, who doesn't exist yet in SS(since SS is before OoT).

The skylight also reminds me of the mirrors, for some reason.

For the most part I can see a possible connection between these and Zonai architecture.

I think this is an interesting topic,and it gives me an idea for some possible theories of my own that I may or may not share one day.

I think that future Zonai/Sheikah tech was used to go back in time and create the Ancient Robots to mine the timeshift stones, so they wouldn't be available when Demise arrives. Something like that. Which is why the Sheikah are in the past of Skyward Sword.

Hylia appears to have been a literally winged person. Maybe Oocca X something?

But it appears as if Hylia was working alongside people from the future, in that the events of SS appear to have been mapped out even in a way that Impa didn't foresee.

If we assume Mineru founds the Sheikah, which is likely because of the third eye imagery, and that Hyrule's founding by Rauru must be after SS, then one explanation is just that future Sheikah went back into the past to work with Hylia.

So, SS is before TotK, but Mineru also founds the Sheikah as well.

Some of these are kind of a stretch(like the whole Zelda and light crystal thing being the most notable, considering that they aren't the same colour and you have to flip them),
Of course, I set out to find every connection I could, expecting to only find one or two, so I knew there would be some strenuous connections. I think there may be more to the egg shape, though. We have a very large egg in Link's awakening, as well. In all three cases, the shape houses (protects?) some source of holy power. It may just be a recurring theme, but it may be more than that.

but others like the Owl King connection and the glowing symbols of holy power are interesting; is that Zonai or Sheikah, though? They both have letters like that.
It seems to me that Shiekah technology is reverse engineered from Zoni tech. And, the glowing letters, in SS, when attributed to someone, is attributed to the gods. That said, it would be difficult to tell for sure if the glowing writing is Shiekah, or Zoni, in origin. Though, if the Sheikah were under the direct supervision of a member of the Zonai (who might be the gods?), there might be no real difference.

The Owl King is my favorite find... re-find... New connection.

Also, I doubt those statues are intended references to Vah Ruta and Medoh; while Medoh's namesake is considered ''unknown'' according to CaC, Ruta's name is derived from Ruto, who doesn't exist yet in SS(since SS is before OoT).
This one may seem like a stretch, by itself, though the symbolism for each divine beast had to come from somewhere, in universe. An interesting theory to fit in here, regardless of timeline placement, is that the sages from Zelda's memories are the ones the divine beasts were named after.

For your time placement of Rauru's rule, the statues would be honoring something that led to the choices of animals. With my placement of Rauru's rule before SS, the statues do provide some nice continuity. It's really boils down to the chicken or the egg question.

Also, we don't actually know the full history of the Ruto. We don't know the full history for any race, for that matter. The Zora to Rito has always been a topic of debate.

The skylight also reminds me of the mirrors, for some reason.

For the most part I can see a possible connection between these and Zonai architecture.
I can see it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the possibility for connections. A someone who so often sees things differently from me, I am glad you do see it.

I think this is an interesting topic,and it gives me an idea for some possible theories of my own that I may or may not share one day.
Awesome! I hope you do share.

------------------------------------------------------------

I think that future Zonai/Sheikah tech was used to go back in time and create the Ancient Robots to mine the timeshift stones, so they wouldn't be available when Demise arrives. Something like that. Which is why the Sheikah are in the past of Skyward Sword.

Hylia appears to have been a literally winged person. Maybe Oocca X something?

But it appears as if Hylia was working alongside people from the future, in that the events of SS appear to have been mapped out even in a way that Impa didn't foresee.

If we assume Mineru founds the Sheikah, which is likely because of the third eye imagery, and that Hyrule's founding by Rauru must be after SS, then one explanation is just that future Sheikah went back into the past to work with Hylia.

So, SS is before TotK, but Mineru also founds the Sheikah as well.
This sounds interestingly close to the time traveling Sheikah theory, and even closer to my twist on it where I've proposed that the Sheikah come from the far future. It explains not just SS, but why the people are always down to their last member, is based on the fact that they always seem to know all about time travel; except for BotW/TotK, where they are at their greatest numbers, and time travel seems to be a novel idea.

Though, if the Sheikah do end up hopping through time, we can't really use their relationship with the Zonai as a bassis for timeline placement.

Interestingly, though, we do get a better theory for the dragon break timeline merger theory. At the moment, people are saying that it was Zelda's arrival in the past that triggered the merger. This makes no since because there is no anchor in each timeline for that event to pull on. The time traveling Sheikah, on the other hand, gives us a lot to work with. If they seeded their members all through time, and realized the split, they could be the ones who purposefully drew the timelines together.

This sounds interestingly close to the time traveling Sheikah theory, and even closer to my twist on it where I've proposed that the Sheikah come from the far future. It explains not just SS, but why the people are always down to their last member, is based on the fact that they always seem to know all about time travel; except for BotW/TotK, where they are at their greatest numbers, and time travel seems to be a novel idea.

Though, if the Sheikah do end up hopping through time, we can't really use their relationship with the Zonai as a bassis for timeline placement.

Interestingly, though, we do get a better theory for the dragon break timeline merger theory. At the moment, people are saying that it was Zelda's arrival in the past that triggered the merger. This makes no since because there is no anchor in each timeline for that event to pull on. The time traveling Sheikah, on the other hand, gives us a lot to work with. If they seeded their members all through time, and realized the split, they could be the ones who purposefully drew the timelines together.
What if the Four Sword is the combined four timelines' master swords?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom