• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Aonuma Wants to Change Zelda Formula with Zelda U!!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Aonuma planning to change traditional formula for Zelda Wii U

“It’s not that anyone is telling me we have to change the formula. I want to change it. I’m kind of getting tired of it. If I’m getting tired of it, then I’m sure other people are getting tired of it. There is an essential ‘Zelda’ I feel we need to stay true to. We are still testing things, exploring our options. We haven’t landed anywhere at this point. We’re still seeing what we can do.

What I want to do, not specifically with Link but with the ‘Zelda’ franchise, I’m always striving to make something no one else can, something that is so distinctly ‘Zelda’ that it can only be done in a ‘Zelda’ game. There are times when I hit walls and I can’t come up with new ideas and I think maybe I should just give up and quit, but eventually a new idea comes along and I’m proud of myself. It breeds new life into the creative process.

I go through these phases, over and over again. I hope those high points keep on coming.”

Oh em GEE! How do you feel abot this momentous news?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
About. Time.

He feels the same as me. :P Little bit more enthusiastic for Zelda U now, great news!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
There are numerous things I want to be removed with Zelda U:

1) Any mentioning of goddesses. They have ABSOLUTELY no role to play in the franchise besides meaningless backstory.
2) Linearity. It doesn't fit the series.
3) Forced "evil villain". Look I love Ganondorf. But we don't need any more "evil fo the sake of evil" villains. We're done with that. Drench ZeldaU in other themes rather than simple "good vs evil". :I

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster

1) Any mentioning of goddesses. They have ABSOLUTELY no role to play in the franchise besides meaningless backstory.
3) Forced "evil villain". Look I love Ganondorf. But we don't need any more "evil fo the sake of evil" villains. We're done with that. Drench ZeldaU in other themes rather than simple "good vs evil". :I

I agree, except I would like to say that if they gave the Goddesses more importantce in ZWU then it would be okay if they mentioned them.

Salem

SICK

1-yes about time
2-yes but it has to be done in the best way, not just reshuffling dungeon order.
3-I don't know, I prefer simplicity but with a lot of character and charisma.

Last edited:
Well I think the most important thing when making a new Zelda game is that Nintendo gives us a new experience. This can be done in a variety of ways and changing the formula is certainly one of them. I'm not sure how exactly the formula would change given that the traditional Zelda formula is very similar to the formula that most action/adventure games follow; overworld, dungeon, rinse, repeat. How exactly would they change this? Longer overworld segments? Longer dungeons? Two dungeons in a row? I think if they changed the formula in a creative way that added to the game it would be great, but if Nintendo can't do that then they should focus on other things that need improvement like story.

That being said I'm a bit skeptical because I remember Nintendo saying that Skyward Sword would be a deviation from the Zelda formula and it wasn't much of one at all. Sure the overworld became a bit more puzzle-oriented but in the end it just became a bit more of a hallway system than anything and hallways have really been around since at least Ocarina of Time with its areas that branched off from the main overworld. I feel like doing things like this are just a bit too forced and don't really add much to the core of the game. Like I said I'd love to see some experimenting and improvement but the former shouldn't be done if it doesn't also prove to be the latter.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I really only have two core designs that bother me, first of which would be the "on rails" type of gameplay, you have to finish the story, in order to do so you need to follow this order, once you've done that there is nothing left to do but boring side quests that don't really have any creativity to them. The second one which is very similar to my first issue is that the main plot gets so much focus and once you've "beaten" it the game is pretty much over, so in other words the longevity bothers me. Everything just ends so quickly and during the little time I get to play the game I feel like I have little control over what I can do.

moar side quests pls, I know you want to Aunoma

TBH, when I first thought of the idea of non-linearity in Zelda, I wasn't sure about it. But now it does sound pretty interesting, just as long as Nintendo does it right. I'm glad Aonuma wants to change things up a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom