• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Aonuma: OoT was restricting, the BotW format will continue

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
so you'd be fine w/ never getting an oot type 3d game again so long as the 2d games remain as they were?
That’s not what I meant. I meant that classic Zelda still holds the same fundamental concepts regardless of if its 2D or 3D. Saying that they’re different pillars would be like saying that Zelda 2 is different because of its viewing angle or that the DS games shouldn’t be in the same category as LttP because they’re polygonal. That doesn’t mean that there shouldn’t be variation within those games.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
That’s not what I meant. I meant that classic Zelda still holds the same fundamental concepts regardless of if its 2D or 3D. Saying that they’re different pillars would be like saying that Zelda 2 is different because of its viewing angle or that the DS games shouldn’t be in the same category as LttP because they’re polygonal. That doesn’t mean that there shouldn’t be variation within those games.
none of that addresses if nintendo would bother making another classic style zelda game in full 3d over 2d, I mean we kinda know the answer anyway otherwise this thread wouldn't exist, but that was the point of my initial reply

thePlinko

ZD Legend
none of that addresses if nintendo would bother making another classic style zelda game in full 3d over 2d, I mean we kinda know the answer anyway otherwise this thread wouldn't exist, but that was the point of my initial reply
Right, I’m saying that if they’re willing to go back to the classic formula at all then I don’t see why they can’t do both 2D and 3D.

I'd say both can still work
Have a smaller group, maybe a different developer, go with the OOT formula, while the big boys follow BOTW/TOTK formula.
Why would they? The open formula is out there printing money and getting praised for breaking free of the "stale" classic formula.

It'd be honestly shocking if we got a classic-style Zelda that isn't a remake/remaster in the next decade.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Right, I’m saying that if they’re willing to go back to the classic formula at all then I don’t see why they can’t do both 2D and 3D.
it's probably as straightforward as top down being way easier to make than a 3d one, it just brings to mind why we didn't get a 3d game on the 3ds in the vein of the n64 remasters, but we got tri force heroes

thePlinko

ZD Legend
it's probably as straightforward as top down being way easier to make than a 3d one, it just brings to mind why we didn't get a 3d game on the 3ds in the vein of the n64 remasters, but we got tri force heroes
Sure, 3D might not be as straightforward, but it’s not like they’re really restricted on time when they release these games anymore.

since when
Well I just remember in Breath of the Wild trying to do whatever shrine I came across and like a couple times it would be a "super hard" combat shrine, which just isn't practical to complete without some better weapons/armor/health. That meant, being driven towards the basically "easier" shrines along the path to a divine beast or something.

There are lots of things you can do at any point in time and it won't change much, different things that is, but I just see it as taking two paths in like capcom's Arcade D&D game, they both get to the same point, they have different stuff, you have choice, but it doesn't mean it's "open world."

Nintendo's "open world" in Xenoblade X and BotW just mostly means "very big spaces."

Anyway, I think most people here seem doom and gloom over the situation mostly, it's been 6 years now, I think the aftermath of the wrecking ball to Zelda that is Breath of the Wild is over now and I feel I understand it better now. It was listening to the nerdocracy, and cowtowing to their demands, not making the best game they really could I thought.

But now, I think TotK is definitely more linear than BotW, flows a lot better. I'm not done with it, but it has a lot less chaos. It's Nintendo making their own games again. Moreso, anyway.

It's weird, like I actually like what little regular sounding music there is in BotW better than the SS soundtrack, which is all well arranged and stuff but not like the melodically driven stuff of early Zelda IMO.

Basically, I have all of the classic Zelda games still above BotW, but now I put SS below it for being so agonizing for such a straighforward game, as well as Minish Cap which I always felt was a pretty frustrating experience. So I think they actually made some progress, in capturing "original" Zelda spirit, which includes some degree of linearity as far as I'm concerned.

And add to that Tears of the Kingdom being an improvement over Breath of the Wild and I actually feel semi-optimistic about "classic" Zelda, despite what Aonuma says. I mean, Nintendo has said all kinds of things about their games and directions, and then something else unexpected happens, so I think anything is possible.

I don't know, I just go back to what I said originally, I don't think Nintendo or any game company has it in them to just "break" their formulas by making big zones and more lateral options. They can say that, but the actual experience on the ground just doesn't feel as different as they say it's supposed to be.

Last edited:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion

9f3cbead1e1f75229ac633d8035adab4.png

thePlinko

ZD Legend

Aonuma the game developer not understanding the basic concept of a “game.”

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
Aonuma the game developer not understanding the basic concept of a “game.”
beat me to it
how is this guy a developer

why would you make clock town in minecraft instead of a 3d modeling software? You have so much more freedom and options available to you there

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer

>There is a set path

>It's the one you choose

I don't think this guy knows what set path means.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Well, I would much rather have the free spirited style of something like Breath of the Wild over the rigid formula that is the series post-ALTTP. I've espoused this gripe before, but it bothers me when I can relay the core structure and beats of a game's narrative without ever having played the game itself, and Zelda is nothing if not a series I can describe the plot of without ever touching another entry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom