• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Amazon To Start Delivering Packages By Air

I was browsing the web, when something unusual caught my eye. Apparently, as early as 2015 Amazon will launch a service dubbed "Amazon Prime Air". Customers can opt for packages to be delivered by aerial drones in 30 minutes or less.

Take a gander:

[video=youtube;98BIu9dpwHU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98BIu9dpwHU[/video]​

What are your thoughts on this? Is it something you'd like to try once available in the future?

Clank

Hmm
I think it is merely a novelty thing at this point, I mean maybe at some point down the road, but we all know the fate of "amazon lockers"

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I bet the catch is it's only packages of a certain size and weight and the service itself is probably going to be really expensive. I guess it's a cool idea, I just don't see it working 100 percent. I can't imagine drones delivering packages being the norm one day. The future is gonna be crazy.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
A company called Zookal has already been using drones to deliver books to customers in Australia. The cost of delivery is actually less than it would be by post and is included straight in the product price, making drones a cheaper alternative to standard courier delivery. Amazon isn't the first to do it, but they will most likely be the catalyst for many other retailers to adopt drones as delivery options in future.

Source

Whoa, at first I thought that you were saying that they'd start delivery by air, not by air. For the former, I would have been all for it, but the latter is just outrageous (lol). Surely, there will be a limit as to what types and/or sizes of packages that can be delivered, but yeah, pretty neat, I guess.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I have no doubt this will be common and practical in the future. But 2015 is overly optimistic. For one, the drones they show there would be very limited in range. To get there in 30 minutes or less, the customer has to be within ten miles (sixteen kilometers) of an Amazon Warehouse. Severely limiting its usefulness. So it wouldn't be something they could realistically implement since they're not a local retailer, they're a national retailer. It's a cool idea, but it'll be a long time before it could live up to that promise.

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
I heard about this earlier today as I was preparing and eating breakfast. Honestly, it sounds like a cool idea. It would be amazing to spot a drone carrying a rare, limited edition of *insert product here* as I longingly stare out the window.

From a more realistic perspective, I really do not see this happening so soon. There are probably many factors that go into this. The drones must meet safety precautions, as very little people desire a hunk of metal to crash into their newly refurbished kitchen. Plus, the government permissions necessary to run something like this is going to lengthen the process and potentially stop it all together. It is going to turn into a real issue if people go on online shopping sprees and their package ends up at the doorstep of a pawn shop.

Pricing is another issue. Thirty minutes is a lot fast than overnight shipping. Is it going to cost extra to get the service of these useful robots? Producing such machinery cannot be all that cheap. Between design, construction, programming, fueling, and, I would assume, many other parts that will go into the project, it should take quite the pretty penny to utilize. Not unless the drones for Amazon work in a similar fashion to the taxi business, though I have no knowledge on the business.

Overall, I think drones carrying products are going to be and interesting addition to society, but Amazon is going to have their work cut out for them.

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
I would like to see Majora's Mask 3D to be delivered like this, from UK to Poland. It will take longer (maybe 300 minutes instead of 30), but it should work.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'm with a few others about this: I don't think this will fully come into fruition until at least five years. However, I think the idea is quite unique and it could turn out to be very efficient.

Though if I spot a drone imma try and shoot it down and get me some neat rewards ;)

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I heard about this earlier today, and at first thought it wasn't legitimate. I just find it amazing everyday how far technology has advanced in so little time. It'll take a few years, but I think it's a very interesting concept that should be explored further.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
11189374956_d0fcf0f90a_o.jpg

Lmao I was actually gonna reference the balloons in Animal Crossing ;p

Needless to say I'm going to need a powerful slingshot.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
vgR5wtK.jpg

Cats. :rolleyes:

Or squirrels. Or wind. Or rain. Or bored people with guns. It's a nice idea but it's about as secure as a screen door on a submarine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom