• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Akira Kurosawa

Tom

I don't know if we have any other Akira Kurosawa fans around here, but if we do, it would be nice to have a place to talk about his works. For those who don't know who Akira is, read below.

Akira Kurosawa was a and japanese screenwriter, director, producer and editor. In a career that spanned 50 years, Kurosawa directed 30 films. He is widely regarded as one of the most important and influential filmmakers in film history.
He was awarded in 1989: Academy Award for Lifetime Achievement "for cinematic accomplishments that have inspired, delighted, enriched and entertained worldwide audiences and influenced filmmakers throughout the world."

My favorite movie of all is Akira's Seven Samurai, and right up there is Dodesukaden and Madadayo (aka 'Not Yet').
I know you might think I'm too young to like these kind of movies, but the reason why is that I've never been a movie addict, actually I don't like watching most of the films that are exhibited on cinemas, and his movies really touch me, you know? His works are outstanding.

What about you? Are there any fans?​

G

GerudoRose

I love his movies!!! My favorite movie of his is Yojimbo. The rest are Throne of Blood, Ran, Red Beard, and the Hidden Fortress. Without him, we would not have Star Wars because he directed the Hidden Fortress. I recommend that movie to anyone who loves Star Wars! I am also a fan of Toshiro Mifune because of Akira's movies. Are you?

Tom

I love his movies!!! My favorite movie of his is Yojimbo. The rest are Throne of Blood, Ran, Red Beard, and the Hidden Fortress. Without him, we would not have Star Wars because he directed the Hidden Fortress. I recommend that movie to anyone who loves Star Wars! I am also a fan of Toshiro Mifune because of Akira's movies. Are you?

Indeed, Akira was essential to many famous producers, and without him many movie classics wouldn't be as great as they were.
Yes, I am also a fan of Toshiro Mifune, he is one (if not 'the') of my favorite actors of all time.

Have you watched 'Dreams'?
I highly recommend this movie to not only Akira's fans, but anyone who likes watching movies.

G

GerudoRose

I totally love movies! Dreams I have not heard but what is it about may I ask? Is that a foriegn movie or was it made in the US?

Tom

Dreams: ( Yume, aka Akira Kurosawa's Dreams, I Saw a Dream Like This, or Such Dreams I Have Dreamed) is a 1990 magic realism film based on actual dreams of the film's director, Akira Kurosawa at different stages of his life. The film is based more on imagery than on dialogue.  The alternative titles ("I Saw a Dream Like This") are a translation of the opening line of Ten nights of Dreams, by Natsume Soseki, which begins: Konna yume wo mita (こんな夢を見た). The film was screened out of competition at the 1990 Cannes Festival.

I got this from Wikipedia. I'll leave you the option to click here and read the whole thing.
It's an Akira Kurosawa movie, and if I recall, his last one.
You should check it...Everybody should get to watch this movie at least once in a lifetime. It's fantastic.

G

GerudoRose

Wow, sounds like a really good film. Why can films be like this more than just focusing on the budget and gross of the film overall? I guess there are some out in the world, just not recognized by the mainstream. People are so focus on the special effects or actions but not so much on the story and character development. Akira is a true master at his art. No one can beat that! The name Dreams reminds me What Dreams May Come. Have you seen that one?

Not to change the subject here but what is your least favorite Akira movie. So far I like all of them.

Tom

No, I haven't. Is it an Akira's production...?
Least favorite AK movie? I don't know, really. I guess it would be Yojimbo...From all the others I've watched, this is the one I'd pick as my least favorite. But that doesn't mean I don't like it. They're all somehow great.

People are so focus on the special effects or actions but not so much on the story and character development.
Yeah, this is so true. I guess this is the biggest reason I'm not attracted to today's movies.

G

GerudoRose

What Dreams May Come is not an Akira movie but it's about Heaven and Hell and one man's journey through those realms after his death starring Robin Williams. It is a very serious film with a deep meaning.

How come Yojimbo is your least favorite?

Tom

What Dreams May Come is not an Akira movie but it's about Heaven and Hell and one man's journey through those realms after his death starring Robin Williams. It is a very serious film with a deep meaning.

How come Yojimbo is your least favorite?

Well, as I said before, this doesn't mean I don't like it, it's just hard to pick one since all of them are good.
But I've changed my mind. It'd be 'Ran' I actually didn't like it that much, the story confused me a lot, and I got tired of watching such a looong movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom