• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Small MM Theory...

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I read a book once where a dead guy who had unfinished business built himself a robot body so he could touch things, and so people could see him. The mask salesman could probably pull that off, he strikes me as someone who could be a skilled crafter. Maybe this robot body is only visible to the one who can help get the mask back(Link). That would explain why nobody in clock town mentions some weirdo hanging out in the clock tower with a backpack...

The idea of him being a ghost is unlikely for reasons already stated several times (Happy Mask Salesman doesn't fit with any established form of afterlife in the Zelda Universe) but the idea that he is a robot that only Link can see is so far-fetched and unlikely that I would like to say, drugs are bad and you shouldn't do drugs because... Because drugs are bad.

I'm only joking, I don't mean to insinuate that you do drugs, but my point is there isn't any reason to suspect that the Happy Mask Salesman is a robot and compared to that, him being a ghost seems almost likely if you ignore that it doesn't fit with established lore.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
This theory seems pretty interesting through my point of view. Is it possible if you could put a link to the fanfiction/theory? :3
Dude...the fanfic is in the spoiler on the op -_-

Cfrock: ...wut lol. I never said he was a robot, I said he built a robot body. But, it is still a big maybe. The book was in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, I think either the 3rd or 4th one. The series is a modern take on Greek mythology. The guy was Daedalus, and in the ancient myth, he and his son Icarus were imprisoned, so they built wings out of feathers and wax and tried to fly out. Icarus flew too close to the sun, his wings melted, he fell in the ocean and drowned. Fast forward to the time of the books. Daedalus is still a craftsman, existing in his robot body. He also has a pet hellhound named Mrs. O Leary, but that has nothing to do with anything. I was implying that the mask salesman might be a skilled enough craftsman to do something like that.

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Please be careful about fanfiction here. It's possible to build an argument claiming that there's something inhuman about the HMS, but actually putting a finger on what exactly that is is far outside the realm of theory. "It fits the evidence" is generally not enough.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Please be careful about fanfiction here. It's possible to build an argument claiming that there's something inhuman about the HMS, but actually putting a finger on what exactly that is is far outside the realm of theory. "It fits the evidence" is generally not enough.
The fanfic inspired the theory though, so yeah...I guess its more speculation than theory...

I don't see this being very likely, I mean when you stated that the piano appears out of nowhere kinda contradicts the fact that link can pull a fish guitar out of his skirt. Or horns out of his wood, or dums out of his fat. And when you normally see a ghost in the Zelda franchise they actually appear as ghosts, you don't always need the lens of truth to see them, as shown in Oot(Dampe) WW(the sages) etc. But even though you don;t need the lens of truth to see them they still appear as ghosts, transparent, flying, (lens of truth) invisible. Nintendo makes it pretty clear of what characters are dead and which are still living. If the Happy mask salesman was dead Nintendo would have made it pretty obvious.

I don't see this being very likely, I mean when you stated that the piano appears out of nowhere kinda contradicts the fact that link can pull a fish guitar out of his skirt. Or horns out of his wood, or dums out of his fat. And when you normally see a ghost in the Zelda franchise they actually appear as ghosts, you don't always need the lens of truth to see them, as shown in Oot(Dampe) WW(the sages) etc. But even though you don;t need the lens of truth to see them they still appear as ghosts, transparent, flying, (lens of truth) invisible. Nintendo makes it pretty clear of what characters are dead and which are still living. If the Happy mask salesman was dead Nintendo would have made it pretty obvious.

So true! We all knew Darmani was a ghost, the guy who gives you the Stone Mask from MM is a ghost, it's simple. Nintendo wouldn't make it cryptic.

M

Majora'sRemains

I can see Skull Kid doing that too, in a fan-fic, the Legend of Zelda doesn't go as far to cut necks like that:sick:.

Nah, but he'll go as far as to bring a giant, demonic moon down onto an entire land.

Yep. Totally different, and definitely not sick.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
... the guy who gives you the Stone Mask from MM is a ghost, ...

I disagree; he's an injured soldier who is invisible because he has the Stone Mask in his possession, not because he's a ghost. He becomes visible after he gives you the Stone Mask. He looks pretty clearly alive to me...but I digress.
As for the HMS, I highly doubt he died. I had always thought that the Skull Kid simply made the HMS unconscious before stealing Majora's Mask. As for the piano, I agree with the "Nintendo logic" argument that bspurka alluded to. Furthermore, the HMS vanishing at the end of the game just represents the HMS's walking in the distance; I also think the programmers removed the HMS's character model to reduce lag or something to that effect, and it's no indication that the HMS is a ghost.

Last edited:

MsNerrrrd

Demyx stole my cookies
Kind of scary in a way. But in a way, it actually DOES make sense... But nonetheless, it's fanfiction, so we don't have any proving evidence, but still... Quite interesting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom