• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A realistic Zelda game

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
Suppose there was a Zelda game with very realistic physics. Link would have to light bombs before using them. Arrows and the Hookshot would be affected by gravity. The boomerang would sometimes not come back to you if you moved around too much. Of course, Link would have stamina and his non-magical equipment would have the chance of getting damaged. Link's movement would be slowed if he was carrying a lot of gear. There are probably more touches of realism that I haven't even mentioned.

What are your thoughts when it comes to realism in a Zelda game? How do you think certain touches of realism would affect the series?

Discuss.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Hook shot would tear off your arm. So I'm saying no on that one.
For the rest... Just no. It seems way to nitpicky for a fantasy game. Interesting to think about though.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
It would be nice to have a demo of something like that just so we could test the waters, but for now I think that hyper realistic physics should stay out of the games.

Cool idea though.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
As fun as the Idea would be to play around with, I would say I'm going to have too pass. No one knows how too use a boomerang, its next too impossible, and I dont think I would like that frustrating fact in my Zelda games. As far as being burdened for having too much gear... count me out. That was always my big problem with games like Oblivion, nothing worse than collecting a bunch of cool gear that you will either eventually use, or sell off. I will take Links Magical Bottomless Adventure pouch any day. A lot of what makes the Items intriguing in Zelda, are that they are pretty out of this world, and being realistic in nature just doesnt seem all that interesting.

As everyone else said though, cool idea!

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
While many people think it wouldn't possible, I, however, think it actually could, people just don't see it cause of the way they are. If they've never seen it happen or how it works in reality, it's hard for them to believe it. It's hard for people to believe something they've never seen happen or work in reality.

Just because you haven't seen it happen or work in reality, doesn't mean it's not possible.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
While many people think it wouldn't possible, I, however, think it actually could, people just don't see it cause of the way they are. If they've never seen it happen or how it works in reality, it's hard for them to believe it. It's hard for people to believe something they've never seen happen or work in reality.

Just because you haven't seen it happen or work in reality, doesn't mean it's not possible.
I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying it wouldn't be as much fun of a game to play.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
It's similar to the whole breathing meter and burnt-out torches thing that was almost added to Minecraft a few years ago. Some realistically is fine, but there's a limit to how realistic people want it to be. There comes a point where it's just too much, and the game just isn't fun any more.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake

Indeed, Vita. You are superior than us in that you can see things for what they are.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Suppose there was a Zelda game with very realistic physics. Link would have to light bombs before using them. Arrows and the Hookshot would be affected by gravity. The boomerang would sometimes not come back to you if you moved around too much. Of course, Link would have stamina and his non-magical equipment would have the chance of getting damaged. Link's movement would be slowed if he was carrying a lot of gear. There are probably more touches of realism that I haven't even mentioned.

What are your thoughts when it comes to realism in a Zelda game? How do you think certain touches of realism would affect the series?

Discuss.

Link meets the definition of a superhero. He is chosen by the gods and imbued with their power. It doesn't make sense for him to have stamina or not be able to use his items effortlessly. When playing Zelda I dont want to be thinking about stamina or having difficulties with my boomerang. The pacing of the games in my opinion is too slow as it is, that would make it even worse. A hookshot would rip a humans arm right off in real life and if you were hit by a Darknuts sword or Ganondorf with one of his swords, even if you raised your shield, your bones would shatter.

If you want to get tired from swinging a sword around, play Dark Souls.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
To be honest, I wouldn't mind having a couple touches of realism, such as a stamina and shield meter like in SS and arrows being affected by gravity, but nothing more than that. I think any more touches of realism would detract from the enjoyment of the series, making gameplay more tedious. The possibility of dropping your boomerang would be horrendous, the Hookshot would lose all of its purpose, bombs would take longer to use, and not to mention gear would slow you down or break. It just wouldn't be that much fun at that point.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying it wouldn't be as much fun of a game to play.

I didn't say a very ultra realistic Zelda game would game be fun, I was simply just kinda trying to say that it could be possible, especially with today's kind of technology.

Though, most of I was really saying is that it's possible that the kind of events that occur in the Zelda lore can happen in real life based terms, especially with real magic involved.

It's similar to the whole breathing meter and burnt-out torches thing that was almost added to Minecraft a few years ago. Some realistically is fine, but there's a limit to how realistic people want it to be. There comes a point where it's just too much, and the game just isn't fun any more.

Yes, when it comes to gaming, that's very true. Video games should never be too realistic. Video games are supposed like virtual dreams or like an interactive movie, they're so to be interactive and fun, sometimes with great stories like Zelda. That's one thing that annoys about most companies of the gaming industry these days, most of them are always trying to make the most realistic video games ever. That needs to stop cause if they go too far, their games won't be fun anymore.

I like to think of video games as not only dreams but like art as well. Video games can look realistic but still fun at the same time. Video games don't have to be so realistic every time. Sometimes, video games can be artsy, other times, they can be semi-realistic or dream like kind realistic (realistic mostly in looks and sometimes in feel, depending of the perspective) but they should never be too realistic.

ILU

i luv u
Zelda should be realistic. But not in a way that mimics realism. Some food for thought it a quote by Eiji Aonuna who said,

"Zelda is a game that values reality over realism. In the art world, realism is a movement which faithfully replicates the real world to whatever extent possible. Reality, though, is not mimicking the real world. The big difference is that even using more exaggerated expression can be an effective means of making things feel more real."

In many ways, I feel this is what is important when discussing Zelda and "real."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom