• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Possible Clue to the Closeness of FSA and AlttP on the Timeline.

Ice Sage

these are words
Hyrule Castle in AlttP and in FSA are very similar in design. Do you belive that this may hint to the placement bewteen AlttP and FSA?

Garo

Boy Wonder
Hyrule Castle in AlttP and in FSA are very similar in design. Do you belive that this may hint to the placement bewteen AlttP and FSA?

It is likely not a coincidence - but I don't think it is evidence that they necessarily have to be related.

Early in FSA's development, it was said that the game was going to depict the events of the Seal War that is mentioned in ALttP's backstory. That idea was scrapped during development, however. Chances are many of the elements that were part of the game's status as the Seal War remained - the design of Hyrule Castle being similar to ALttP is likely an example of this.

Capitaine

Ray of Silver
There's a quote floating around somewhere in which Aonuma states that many of the similarities FSA has to ALttP are due to the fact that some of the people who developed ALttP also worked on FSA. Other similarities are also because the developers wanted to have a lot of elements of the classic games in FSA along with elements of new games so that there could be something for every kind of Zelda player.

This doesn't work. The Gerudo tribe died out prior to the events of "Twilight Princess". The game can't occur before then, because Ganondorf was sealed away during that time. The game has to come prior to "Ocarina of Time" (or shortly there-after), in order for the Gerudo and Ganondorf to both be active.

Similar art designs between games is a poor basis for your argument. The team behind "Four Swords Adventure" also worked on the "Link to the Past" re-release for the GBA. There were bound to be some similar design choices.

Hero of…. #s, I guess
Also, I believe that some of the sprites in A Link to the Past were actually reused in Four Swords Adventures for ease of design, so really, design isn't a great judge.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I really don't think design has anything to do with the series. Castle Town is different in every Zelda game, yet it's always the same Castle Town (save ST). Death Mountain has been different every time in design. Same mountain. I could go on with these, but I think you get the point. If designs can differ and they be the same, things can look similar and not be the same, as well.

This doesn't work. The Gerudo tribe died out prior to the events of "Twilight Princess".

is there any proof of this, they may very well have lived during this game, just because you don't meet 'em doesn't mean they don't exist

C

Caleb, Of Asui

There is no exact proof, and we did go to a different area (The Gerudo Mesa), but there was literally no sign of them.

That doesn't necessarily mean that they could not have re-formed. In Ocarina of Time it seems that to some degree the Gerudo are defined more as a band of thieves and less as a race, and by the time of Twilight Princess they're intermingled. By the time of Four Swords Adventures they could have re-formed, although their culture has evidently changed quite a bit. The Gerudo are certainly not the biggest plot point, however, to look at for timeline placement. There are bigger events like Ganon's obtaining of the Trident, which in and of itself pretty well defines what games that involve Ganon can come before or after Four Swords Adventures. (Quick note: In The Legend of Zelda, although not depicted in the NES game, the trident does appear in his BS Zelda sprite, for which I think we can pretty well guarantee at least the graphics are canon.)

The similarities in graphic and map design between games have little do with the timeline, although can be an indication that something may be connected. Four Swords Adventures is not related to A Link to the Past solely because it uses a lot of the same sprites and map design, but in this case there are concrete plot elements that link Four Swords Adventures to the Seal War and A Link to the Past, although I certainly wouldn't say that Four Swords Adventures is itself the Seal War because that particular even does not involve a hero.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
That doesn't necessarily mean that they could not have re-formed. In Ocarina of Time it seems that to some degree the Gerudo are defined more as a band of thieves and less as a race, and by the time of Twilight Princess they're intermingled. By the time of Four Swords Adventures they could have re-formed, although their culture has evidently changed quite a bit. The Gerudo are certainly not the biggest plot point, however, to look at for timeline placement. There are bigger events like Ganon's obtaining of the Trident, which in and of itself pretty well defines what games that involve Ganon can come before or after Four Swords Adventures. (Quick note: In The Legend of Zelda, although not depicted in the NES game, the trident does appear in his BS Zelda sprite, for which I think we can pretty well guarantee at least the graphics are canon.)

All I said was there was no sign of them. I never said they weren't in the game. I don't support either side on the Gerudo/TP topic, actually.

is there any proof of this, they may very well have lived during this game, just because you don't meet 'em doesn't mean they don't exist
TP elaborates about a war with Ganondorf, their leader, and we see no sign of them in their own homeland. Supporting evidence is that they aren't mentioned in ALttP, implying that the name has been forgotten over time (though it's really because Nintendo hadn't thought of them yet).

The trident isn't any help either, as it never appears again. We see Ganon wielding a trident in ALttP, but what basis is there that it's the same one? They look nothing alike and do not possess the same properties.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

The trident isn't any help either, as it never appears again. We see Ganon wielding a trident in ALttP, but what basis is there that it's the same one? They look nothing alike and do not possess the same properties.

http://www.zeldawiki.org/Trident

The Zelda Wiki article reffers to it as one weapon, constant throughout the series. The variations between games hold little significance. It still gives him similar attacks between Four Swords Adventures and A Link to the Past. He may be simply utilizing different attacks in different battles. He throws it in both games and uses attacks based around fire and electricity. Just because they're not the exact same attacks doesn't mean it's not the exact same trident.

As has been a point of discussion in this thread, aesthetic similarities and differences between games hold little water. Ganondorf is drawn differently between Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker, but he's still the same character. Similarly, the trident is drawn differently between games, along with Ganon himself being drawn differently.

Perhaps slightly more significant a point to the plot than Ganon obtaining the Trident is Ganondorf becoming Ganon (the blue pig form, more distinct from his human form than his boar form in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess), of which him obtaining the Trident is an element. The same distinction that could be made by the trident could be made by how Ganon appears - all games where Ganondorf appears in human form come earlier on the timeline, and all games where we encounter him as Ganon with the trident come later.

http://www.zeldawiki.org/Trident

The Zelda Wiki article reffers to it as one weapon, constant throughout the series. The variations between games hold little significance. It still gives him similar attacks between Four Swords Adventures and A Link to the Past. He may be simply utilizing different attacks in different battles. He throws it in both games and uses attacks based around fire and electricity. Just because they're not the exact same attacks doesn't mean it's not the exact same trident.
Sorry, but that page posing the theory as fact disproves the theory with it's pics. The FSA trident has a gemstone on it, the LttP trident has a skull, and the OoX trident has no decoration. No need to bother with "BS Zelda", because that game is a load of BS. Okay, that was terrible, I apologize.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom