• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time A Little Tidbit - Why Link Didn't Get Lost in the Lost Woods

i-am-link

DGN's Metaphysicist
Note: I came up with this on my own. If there are any other threads like this, if this thread should be somewhere else, or if there was ever an official statement by Nintendo on the subject (which I doubt), please deal with this thread accordingly.

So, this has always bugged me. If Link wasn't a Kokiri, then how did he not become one of the imps in the Lost Woods? Because, as we all know, only the Kokiri can safely explore the Woods. Well, I got to thinking, and what crossed my mind was: "Maybe the Kokiri aren't immune to the Lost Woods' magic?" I pondered that thought for a bit, and came to this conclusion.

The Kokiri may not be immune to the magic of the Lost Woods. They may have, in fact, learned how to safely traverse the Woods. It's not an inherited trait, it's an acquired ability! If this is true, then Link must have learned from the Kokiri the way to get around the Lost Woods' magic.

And that is my thought on why Link didn't get lost in the Lost Woods. Please, share your thoughts, discredit this, or whatever. Thanks for reading.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'd argue it has more to do with his Hylian ears. I recall some statement saying Hylian ears can hear pretty damn well, even be spoken to by the gods. If that's true - and it definitely is gameplay wise - then he would never be able to get lost due to his listening for Saria's Song all of the time. :)

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I think it was because he had Navi to guide him. Look what happened when he went into the lost woods without her. He fell into a magic portal and ended up in Termina. But Ven also has a good point. Saria wasn't there either, so it was probably a combination of both.

As for the turning into imps/stalfos...I think that only happens when people give up hope. They get lost in the forest and go crazy/give up on trying to find their way out, and the mischevious forest spirits decide to have some fun, poof, they're a stalfos.

Salem

SICK
Never though of this before, it's interesting. This means practically anyone can survive in the Lost Woods if they know how. If that's true, it kinda makes the Kokiro less special in someway.

I'd argue it has more to do with his Hylian ears. I recall some statement saying Hylian ears can hear pretty damn well, even be spoken to by the gods. If that's true - and it definitely is gameplay wise - then he would never be able to get lost due to his listening for Saria's Song all of the time. :)
If that's the case, and it's due to Hylian ears than why have that warning about getting lost in the Lost woods in the first place? This means that punk Kid never got lost in the Lost Woods.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Well one only turns into a Stalfos when they have become "lost" in the woods, now the player may have technically been "lost" but for the sake of the plot, Link never got lost in the woods at that specific scene(s). I think a better example would be his journey through a mysterious woods (could be a deeper area in the Lost Woods), where he enters the parallel world known as Termina.

Going by logic, Link, if he had gotten lost, would have turned into a Stalfos as that's how the tale goes, but I have a few reasons why he didn't. For one, Link doesn't really look lost in my opinion, the starting scene in Majora's Mask basically shows Link travelling in a "straight" path, now form my interpretation, from traveling in a linear direction, it almost seems as if he's following a set path. There is also the fact that he doesn't seem in that much discomfort, he seems, somewhat, relaxed, if a person was lost they would be scared and frantically looking for a way out etc.

Also there is an argument that he has the Ocarina, this allows him to warp and such, couldn't he just warp his way out if lost and then start again? Plus he can also speak with Saria, an experienced Kokiri, she could have helped him if lost. The one pivotal point would be that Link is no "ordinary" Hylian. He now has proof of the Triforce of Courage, he could still spiritually hold it, now while I don't have proof, but I think the Goddesses could overthrow a chosen hero turning into a Stalfos if lost.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I too think it's a combination of the fact he listens to Saria's Song and he has a fairy. It was indicated at the start of the game when you go to see Saria in the Sacred Forest Meadow that he hasn't been before- maybe he couldn't explore without a fairy, or he'd become a Skull Kid or Stalfos

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
There is really not much I can say that has not already been said. When they speak of people getting lost in the woods, they mean getting lost in the woods. Link never really gets lost, because he always winds up back in Kokiri Forest. That may not be the case for other people. They go mad, and begin to panic, and then they turn into the undead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom