• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild A Human Companion for Zelda U

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I was playing Bioshock Infinite recently, which is what got me thinking about this idea. In Bioshock Infinite you meet a young woman who becomes your companion for the game. She does not help you out in fighting but she does throw health amunition and salt (the equivalent of filling up your magic in bioshock) at you during battle. I'd very much like to see something like this in Zelda sometime. I know Zelda has helped out before in titles like WW and TP but she was never really a companion that was there with you throughout the game. I want to see a human companion that is with you from early on and comes with you everywhere. I think there would be a great opportunity for character development to happen as the adventure progresses and the player of the game would be more able to become attached to this character rather than if we had someone talking to you through a stone or if you had a fairy perhaps.

This companion could be Zelda or someone completely new and part of the original story of the game. What would you like to see done?

Salem

SICK
First if all, I'm not a fan of companions.

What would this companion do besides throwing helpful items at Link? Link finds these things in bushes and pots.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
A companion? Why does Link need a companion? They aren't necessary and generally they are not well received.

Night Owl

~Momentai
ST had the closest to a human companion with Zelda helping a lot in the Tower of Spirits. (Granted, she was without a body and possessed phantoms.)

I think it could work well if the partner could help Link fight. Or at least help out in dungeons similar to Kafei in Sakon's hideout. (mm)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
What would this companion do besides throwing helpful items at Link? Link finds these things in bushes and pots.

Erase Link's finding these items in bushes/pots, and let the companion do the scavenging instead. Alongside this could be upgrading the companion's AI (something Fi definitely needed in regards to tips/hints ;p), and even allowing the companion to be a combat relevant portion of the game. This is a good idea. I like it a lot.

This was done in a lesser capacity with Sahasrahla and Zelda in A Link to the Past and Ulrira in Link's Awakening, although in both cases there was minimal or zero character development at least from the side of the partner or helper mechanic and both games had long-distance communication (telepathy and telephone), so it's certainly not exactly what you're referring to. Just pointing out that these characters ARE human. :P

However Phantom Hourglass comes pretty close to what you describe. Linebeck isn't physically involved in more of your direct adventuring, but he does pilot the ship you use to go everywhere and he has character development throughout the game culminating in major changes to his character before the end. Not a lot of people cite this as a strength of Phantom Hourglass but it was one of my favorite parts of the game, personally.

Of course just because it's been done before doesn't mean it can't be done again and it would definitely be cool to see again, including in Zelda Wii U. I guess my only concerns would be these two:

1. It shouldn't be restrictive. Having a live companion with their own goals and desires is way more liable to become a restriction on the player than something like a fairy or a form of long-distance communication like we're used to. It's more likely to be the kind of thing that won't feel quite right outside of special situations -- scripted ones, mostly part of the main plot -- and the game would probably be designed to lead you toward these.

2. The companions shouldn't be too talkative in the wrong situations and dialogue needs to be good. It's the big thing people complained about with Navi and Fi alike, and honestly it would be a huge potential risk with a human companion as they might be likely to say things of their own accord and get potentially very annoying and repetitive.

These both could be totally avoided and having such a partner could be amazing -- as Bioshock Infinite itself indicates -- but it feels like it might be an odd fit for Zelda and, above all else, would raise an entirely new set of problems to overcome and things that need to be done right when frankly recent Zelda games are already struggling to correct a number of those. I wouldn't expect it any time soon at any rate. We'd likely have to wait for a Zelda game that's a lot more detailed in terms of world and character development first. Something that's a human, developing partner but whom isn't with you quite 24/7 as you adventure (like Linebeck) would be pretty easy to do though.

Salem

SICK
Honestly, what unique capabilities that a human partner that's constantly on your side can do that Link can't do? ST Zelda was at least a ghost so she did things that you can't.

Erase Link's finding these items in bushes/pots, and let the companion do the scavenging instead. Alongside this could be upgrading the companion's AI (something Fi definitely needed in regards to tips/hints ;p), and even allowing the companion to be a combat relevant portion of the game. This is a good idea. I like it a lot.
Adding a restriction on the player just to serve the addition of a gimmick?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
\Adding a restriction on the player just to serve the addition of a gimmick?

Isn't that what modern Zelda does best? Restrict or reprimand the player for doing what they'd naturally do in order for the gimmick to work better (can't explore in the early parts of TWW because KoRL will stop you, can't explore in TP because it's super linear and the story comes up with BS reasons for the lack of exploration, can't use buttons in PH/ST because ahmgstylus!!, can't walk three steps in SS without Fi telling you everything you already knew)?

Since that's the case, I don't see why this is really a problem. We can have hopes of Zelda being great once more, but they're only hopes at this point. Introduce all of the weird elements we possibly can; Nintendo isn't stopping and we shouldn't either. ;)

Last edited:

Twilight King

The Actual Hero of Time
Okay, as much as I like the whole companion aspect, I'd pretty much start a revolt if Link had a human companion. Link is the courageous hero, and I doubt he'd have others fight battles for him/with him. Also, do you know how annoying it'd be to have a character that was Link-sized hanging around your screen the entire game?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom