• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

3DS Zelda Style

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Ok, so this thread is about what kind of gameplay style you'd like to see on the 3DS Zelda title.

Personally, I'd like to see it stay overhead view. Reason being I think the handheld games should stay simpler so that the console ones can be the biggest and best titles. (Just personal opinon, there.) Anyway, one thing I would not like to see again is the abuse of the touch screen for every single control. I didn't mind the DS's style of control, but I don't think it's the way to go from now on with the (3)DS style of Zelda. I mean, really, it could get annoying at times. Now, this obviously means I want the use of the analog pad to be the source of control, which would allow completely fluid mobility for Link. The kicker here, though, is something very interesting and something I recently thought of. The use of the targeting system in 2D Zelda. Think about it. We could circle around an enemy while still facing it. The inspiration of this idea was recently fighting Jolene in replay of Phantom Hourglass. I just thought, "Wouldn't it be nice to be able to move around an enemy 2D Zelda and still keep our defenses up?" I think it would allow a much more diverse style of play for 2D Zelda and would open up some new types of fighting styles, making 2D Zelda more advanced, but still keeping the simplicity of the overhead view. That's about all I've got.

So, what are your ideas on 3DS Zelda? And do you agree with what I said? Or do you want handheld Zelda to move to console style? Please tell! =D

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I want console Zelda experiences on the 3DS. We already know that the 3DS is capable of it, why waste time with the stagnant and rough overhead view coupled with stylus controls? There's absolutely no reason why handheld Zelda games have to be so heavily limited just so the console games can shine through – take a gander at the Kingdom Hearts series and you'll find that two games of that series are considered 'main entries', and they certainly have the length and stature of a console game. Zelda shouldn't be any different, as Zelda is a prestigious series and should stay like that through all systems it occupies. The DS was limited, which is why we got the top down gameplay. The 3DS isn't limited in that capacity – Ocarina of Time 3D, Dead or Alive Dimensions, Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D and several newer games are outlining that. Fair enough to say that console experiences can be transferred in depth to the 3DS with no drawbacks outside of graphics but that is only natural.

I'd accept the stylus if it wasn't the only manner of controlling the game. But, with the advent of dual wield circle pads, I don't think the stylus is necessary anymore; for map control or quick selecting things off the menu I suppose, but other than that I want my analog sticks.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
...why waste time with the stagnant and rough overhead view coupled with stylus controls?

I'd accept the stylus if it wasn't the only manner of controlling the game. But, with the advent of dual wield circle pads, I don't think the stylus is necessary anymore; for map control or quick selecting things off the menu I suppose, but other than that I want my analog sticks.

Notice I did say that I don't think the stylus should be used, but the analog pad.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You asked for my thoughts, and I gave them. I do like your idea of keeping defenses up in the overhead Zelda (do you by forcibly pressing the R button, for example?), though I'm just opposed to the overhead presentation on a more powerful system – the 3DS is already suffering from negative comments, it would hurt to give out some of the better gameplay styles so as to boost its morale. :D

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I agree with what you said about saving the biggest and best titles for the big consoles and having simpler ones on 3DS. I think perhaps if they had simpler games this could also make it easier for Nintendo to get more games out during our lengthy wait for a big release.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
My only thought here is that I don't want them to ever be solely stylus-controlled ever again. I would have much preferred a choice in the matter. The 3DS, considering what it currently has available, and what the second-circle-pad accessory will bring to it, I'd think returning to base controls is very much an option. I like that they didn't solely depend on the stylus when remaking OoT, and I hope they keep things that way.

Otherwise, they can go any style as far as I'm concerned. OoT3D worked out nicely, and we're already getting quite the host of top-down Zeldas (where my only complaint is the position of the D-Pad), only thing we're currently missing is a follow-on from Spirit Tracks (or something along those lines).

geek4887

The Unknown
I agree that there should be like a console Zelda experience on the 3DS. Why deprive it from the 3DS? It certainly shows promise, and has the capability to do so. I want them to go back to the original controls, and stuff. But I wouldn't mind if it was touch based, as long as it gives as the full Zelda experience.

What I DON'T want to see is another transportation overworld system. I mean it's ok if it was done like Wind Waker, like you can get off your vehicle and explore the world around you. I found Spirit Tracks lacking because of that. I mean, there's this one HUGE overworld around you, and then you're confined to a train.

So, as long as they ditch the transportations, I'm totally fine with however they use the 3DS on a Zelda game, although traditional controls, I wouldn't mind. Oh, I don't mind it going 2D as well. I saw the wonder of 2D gaming after playing ALttP. :D

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I think that the 3DS should stick with the precedent established by OoT3DS, and make more Zelda games in that style. In other words, yes, I want to see a new console-style Zelda game with a lot of the same features as Ocarina of Time. I don't want it to CLONE OoT, but I would like it to play similarly.

The reasons I think this are as follows:

1. The 3DS is more capable of this than any previous console. With the Wii U using a Touchscreen as well, and the 3DS with at least the same power as an N64, it's time for console-style games on a handheld system. The lines seem to be blurring anyway.

2. I don't think that artificially retarding the development/potential of 3DS games to make the Wii U look good is a particularly good idea. I feel that every game should be the best it can be, and should stand on its own.

3. I think that there isn't that much of a distinction between handheld and console Zelda games in the first place. They just do the best they can with the technology they're given. It might seem like the gameplay in PH and ST was stylus-centric, but traditionally, there wasn't a lot of difference between games like MC and ALttP. So I don't see a need to "make up" for the fact that handhelds are catching up to consoles.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I think that the 3DS should stick with the precedent established by OoT3DS, and make more Zelda games in that style. In other words, yes, I want to see a new console-style Zelda game with a lot of the same features as Ocarina of Time. I don't want it to CLONE OoT, but I would like it to play similarly.

The reasons I think this are as follows:

1. The 3DS is more capable of this than any previous console. With the Wii U using a Touchscreen as well, and the 3DS with at least the same power as an N64, it's time for console-style games on a handheld system. The lines seem to be blurring anyway.

2. I don't think that artificially retarding the development/potential of 3DS games to make the Wii U look good is a particularly good idea. I feel that every game should be the best it can be, and should stand on its own.

3. I think that there isn't that much of a distinction between handheld and console Zelda games in the first place. They just do the best they can with the technology they're given. It might seem like the gameplay in PH and ST was stylus-centric, but traditionally, there wasn't a lot of difference between games like MC and ALttP. So I don't see a need to "make up" for the fact that handhelds are catching up to consoles.

Actually, with you saying all that, I thought of something. I personally don't think Nintendo is going to move away from the 1:1 motion controls with the Wii Motion Plus in Zelda, so moving to the 3D button-mashing style on the 3DS would make sense, as it would no longer exist on the console games. Talk about the future, baby!

Last edited:

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Really I despised the touch controls in the DS Zelda. There was absolutely no good reason to have absolutely everything be touch-only. It limits what you can do. You can't do two things at once like you can with traditional controls. In stead of mapping menu options to the buttons they should have mapped movement and action controls to them.
For me, touch is best used in menus. They make menus fluid, dynamic, flexible, and a lot more efficient. But... they are absolutely the worst possible choice for controlling movement and actions. Not to mention that no matter how careful you are, it's very hard on the touch screen and quickly wears it out.

I think the future 3DS Zelda games, that are either new games or remakes of the 3D console games, should all be in the style of Ocarina of Time 3D. Everything was where it was supposed to be. The buttons and circle pad let you control Link, the touch screen was ONLY for menu options, the gyro was ONLY for first person aiming. Perfect and not obsessed with having everything be a gimmick. That's how it should be done. It worked for OoT 3D and they should stick with it with all future 3DS Zelda games. That should be how they do all of Nintendo's 3DS games. Everything is only used for what it's best suited. Analog and d-pad for movement, touch screen for menus and options, buttons for actions, gyro for aiming. That's where it belongs and where it should stay.

As far as top down, or more of a true 3D, I guess that depends on the game. But for Zeldas, I think that a Oot 3D style of 3D is best. It makes the most out of the system.

I think there should be both Top view and "modern" Zelda games on the system.... But yeah they should leave out the stylus dragging control.

Last edited:

AustinFox33

The Last Kilgannon
I think I'd like for them to keep the overhead style, so we can still have our 2D Zelda nostalgia. But instead of the touchscreen controls, use the analog and buttons as the control scheme instead.

Blackbaldrik

Sage of Gaming
I think they should do more 3DS Zelda with the OoT style of gameplay.
But they shouldn't leave overhead Zelda behind, with the power the 3DS has they could make VERY good looking overhead games with extremely detailed enviroments and terrain. (=

I do think they should leave the touch controls in menus though, I am not a fan of touch controlled movement.

Last edited:
the thing I'd like to see is a 3d Zelda that is a direct sequel to TP and is rather crazy, like LA, MM etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom