• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild 100 little dungeons

We heard rumours that there'd be around 100 mini dungeons to find and solve in BotW, those rumours now look to be true.

The second half though, that there'd be 4 grand dungeons, hasn't held water with what we have seen so far. So far we've only seen the shrines dotted about he place, small puzzle challenges that remind me of the caves in ALBW, where you had a little puzzle to reach a rupee in a chest.

If things stay as they are and we only have these 100 shrines and no major duneons, would feel as if the Zelda series has deviated too far?

Of course challenging conventions was the whole point of BotW (Aonuma finally made good on that promise it seems) but dungeons have a very special heart in the lives of Zelda gamers. Most Zelda gamers look forward tot he next dungeon and relish spending hours in them. Of course these 100n shrines wil no doubt range in size and some of them may end up being rather long and challenging... but they wont be dungeons.

It looks like we'll be spending a lot more time in the overworld too, whereas previous Zelda games often struck a balance between dungeon solving and overworld exploration. OoT did this well, whereas Wind Waker had us out in the world a lot more.

I for one am pretty pleased that we'll seemingly be speiding a lot more time in the overworld, I like being outdoors in a Zelda game...

but if there are no grand/major dungeons in this game as the original rumour stated, will you miss them? Will 100 mini trials fill the void for you?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
We heard rumours that there'd be around 100 mini dungeons to find and solve in BotW, those rumours now look to be true.

The second half though, that there'd be 4 grand dungeons, hasn't held water with what we have seen so far. So far we've only seen the shrines dotted about he place, small puzzle challenges that remind me of the caves in ALBW, where you had a little puzzle to reach a rupee in a chest.

If things stay as they are and we only have these 100 shrines and no major duneons, would feel as if the Zelda series has deviated too far?

Of course challenging conventions was the whole point of BotW (Aonuma finally made good on that promise it seems) but dungeons have a very special heart in the lives of Zelda gamers. Most Zelda gamers look forward tot he next dungeon and relish spending hours in them. Of course these 100n shrines wil no doubt range in size and some of them may end up being rather long and challenging... but they wont be dungeons.

It looks like we'll be spending a lot more time in the overworld too, whereas previous Zelda games often struck a balance between dungeon solving and overworld exploration. OoT did this well, whereas Wind Waker had us out in the world a lot more.

I for one am pretty pleased that we'll seemingly be speiding a lot more time in the overworld, I like being outdoors in a Zelda game...

but if there are no grand/major dungeons in this game as the original rumour stated, will you miss them? Will 100 mini trials fill the void for you?
Aounuma has confirmed there are dungeons and that they are vast and labyrinth like in nature. He said they will be different from the shrines but he isn't going to show any off yet.

No news on how many but 4 I don't think is enough. I guess around 8-10.

Aounuma has confirmed there are dungeons and that they are vast and labyrinth like in nature. He said they will be different from the shrines but he isn't going to show any off yet.

No news on how many but 4 I don't think is enough. I guess around 8-10.

If that's the case I'd quite like more of an AoL take on the dungeons, no element but different architectural styles.

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
It depends on the design of the dungeons for me. Some dungeons I really enjoy such as the Dragon Roost temple from WW, Spirit temple in OoT and the forest temple in TP. Some temples are just an absolute ball ache though, like the water temple in Oot, the water temple in MM, the water temple in TP and the wind temple in WW. I think if temples go on too long then they get annoying, especially if they have silly mechanisms like rising water levels. The shrines kind of eliminate the possibility of a dungeon dragging on too long, so I'd be okay if that's what we got instead. The main thing I'd miss would be finding the unique item of the dungeon, thought we get runes in this one instead.

Reactions: Dio

Djinn

and Tonic
100 little dungeons sounds so much like the title of an autobiographical book as written by Link. Would be amazing, the entire interrior would consist of "Hyaaaa!, Huh" Hurraaaugh! Aaaaahhhhhh, Come On," and "Heh"

But I like the idea of nearly endless secrets, this means you are definitely not going to just go run through and get bored because you breezed through the dungeons in order then have nothing else to do at all outside maybe mini games for heart pieces. This games makes it sound like you will have lots of time waster stuff to go do outside in the field without ever touching an actual dungeon. Which is something I thought Zelda mainly lacked. Especially in the games with an enormous map, like TP which had very little to go do except main dungeons.

And yea I am tired of element theme dungeons. Maybe an ice one because that's a video game standard. I just want eerily cryptic ancient spaces, not element themed. Maybe culture themed, those are always interesting from an artistic standpoint in most games.

If there are no grand/major dungeons in this game as the original rumour stated, will you miss them?
No. We did not miss them in Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. WW's dungeons sucked so hard they might as well not have been in the game. For MM, the dungeons were ok but the overworld game was so expansive that it dwarfed the 4 dungeons. I don't think they will be missed in BotW either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom