• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art ⋋² Don't Make A Whole

Sir Analog

Hope Rides Alone
Day 1: 3:00 PM - Location: Outside City 11
I'm a loner
A thinker
I don't play nice with others
It's not that I don't like people
They just don't like me

Jim, 17, walked with his hands in his pockets through the dystopian society. Tall buildings surrounded his every step as the red clouds hung over head. He was heading somewhere, he just didn't know where.

If you think about it
Why do I need people
Friends– what good are they?
What can they do?
What are they after?
Everyone has an agenda
I'll be damned if I find someone that doesn't

He was on the edge of the city limits. He turned his head back to view the city once more. He was running away from everything – his life, his family, his job, his school, everything.

There's nothing for me in that god-forsaken place
I had to get out of there
I only took a few things with me
Some pictures of my mom
and... dad
I didn't have anything else
Step Dad wouldn't let me have anything to begin with
"You have a bed and a computer. You don't need anything else. I pay for the food, don't I? I pay for the house!" he would say in his drunken stupor.
The beatings were bad
I mean
Who would want to take that?
Nothing I couldn't handle or hide
In that society, you take whatever gets thrown at you
You didn't talk back to your parents no matter what they did

He looked down at his ankle. The tracking anklet that had become a part of his – and every kid's life in City 11 – was finally off. He had managed to cut if before he left home. He knew it would be minutes until they surrounded the house to apprehend the rule breaker.

They deal with rule breakers differently in City 11
You don't get put in jail
You don't get 'probation'
You don't get 'parol'
You don't get 'public service'
You get the mines.
That's right.
The mines are run by the "Civil Protection".
Hellish beasts.
They have no emotion
So... No pity
No Compassion
When you disobey them, they usually go too far.

Jim brushed his hands through his scraggly, black hair and adjusted his glasses. He continued down the dirt path. He saw, in the distance, a break in the clouds. A place where the sun had come out to warm the cold earth. It seemed so far away. The impenetrable smog that always covered the city of City 11 never let a gleam of sunlight through. They were taught about sun in school. He had seen pictures, but had never felt it. Jim longed to have the rays beam across his face, illuminating his way, warming his cold body. However, as soon as the sun was there, it was also gone.

Damn this cold earth!
Damn Breen!
Damn them all!
This place
This hell we live in
I want it all to end!
I don't know how I managed to escape
I don't care
I am free now
The Combine Overwatch would dare not come out this far. I just have to be wary of the zombies...

Night 1: 10:00 PM - Location: Unknown
I should have brought a gun
I don't know how much longer I can outrun the beasts
Should I collapse
The creatures would take me for sure
Was all this worth it?
Escaping just to die?

Jim kept running. So far, he had not encountered any Fast Zombies. Just the Standard Zombies and a Poison Zombie or two. Easy to outrun... for now. He had to find a shelter soon. Somewhere safe. He could not make it all night. There was no known resistance force nearby.

I have to change course
If memory serves
I'm heading towards the beach
Antlions
Not only are they fast
But the *******s can fly too
I need a gun or some sort of weapon.

The night before Jim's mom disappeared, she told him something, "you were destined to do something great. This hole is not the place for you. Be careful not to lose yourself! Get out of here while you still can!" That was four years ago. He had spent every day up until today figuring out a way to get out of City 11.

I'm nothing special
What can I do?
I'm an outcast
I'm no Gordon Freeman
I can't take down a citadel

There is a rumor of a special project
It is being conducted by Aperture Science
The "Test Subject Project" is what people call it.
It uses... portal science.
I know.
It sounds crazy.
But if there's anyone that can help me find my purpose
Help me find out what to do
They won't be the resistance
They'll be at Aperture Science

Jim's pace had slowed. He was growing weary as he approached the shores. The zombies had all left. Jim felt around in his pocket. He pulled out a few pictures. He looked at the one of his mom and him. She was smiling and holding him, like always. He looked at another. His dad. His mom had never told him about his dad. He just knew his name. His name was

Doug Rattmann
A brilliant scientist
He worked on the Aperture Image Format
I... I don't really know what it is
But someday, I hope to meet my father.

Jim Rattmann stood on the border that stood between the sand and the grass. He would smell the salwater. It was bittersweet. Despite how amazing and beautiful it was, he new of the terrible danger that lied in the sand.

The beach is just like a girl
Beautiful but deadly

Jim smiled at his brief moment of humor. There was no way around it. He had to cross the beach. He took the first step onto the beach and heard the shrill of antlions. They approached him at an incredible speed. They were on top of him within seconds.

Day 2: 3 AM - Location: Unknown
Primal instinct is kicking in
These monsters
My attackers
They are animals
I will kill them
Just like they are trying to do to me
I'll use their carcasses to fight off the others
I'll blend in as one of them

Jim kicked and punched against his attackers. He needed to find something to kill at least one antlion with. He saw a stick. A rather big stick. He held off the antilions while he reached for the weapon. Inches away from it, his hand fell short. He tried inching towards it, but he was being held down. However, as antlions tend to do, they became antsy and began to fly around, alternating sides. This shift in weight allowed him to grab the stick. As one of the antlions landed in front of him, he stabbed the creature through the head. It fell limp upon his body and the creatures went wild. He cut the beast open and gagged.

The stench was absolutely unbearable
The creature's entrails instantly spilled upon me
The orange-green blood gushed forth onto my chest
What I assume was its heart fell onto my face
I turned over and threw up knowing what I had to do
I began to lather myself with the creature's bowels

Almost instantly, the creatures seemed to become blind. They began to look around confused. The antlions no longer saw Jim as a human, but as another antlion. The monsters gave up their fruitless search and burrowed back into the sand.

I'll have to keep this stuff on as long as I'm on the beach
I'd throw up if there was anything left

Jim grabbed the creatures organs. He needed food. Badly. Those parts would have to be his dinner. As bad as they would taste, he needed fuel. Jim took a bite out of the heart. Instantly, antlion blood came spewing forth. He spat it out and let it drain as he threw up. Reluctantly, he took another bite. Choking it down, he did not savor the taste. After he was finished, he kept on moving. The rumbling in his stomach due to hunger was now replaced by the rumbling of an upset stomach. He forced himself not to throw up. He just took his thoughts off of his dinner and focussed on his condition.

I'm safe for now
The zombies most certainly will not come out onto the beach
and now the antlions won't bother with me
I do need sleep though

Jim dug a small hole indent in the sand. It had gotten late and he needed sleep. He would save the food for the morning. He laid down in his makeshift burrow. As uncomfortable as it was, he needed rest. After about an hour, he fell asleep to the sound of his own voice.

I'm safe for now
I'll make it
I'll find dad
I'll find my purpose
I'll do...

Next Chapter Coming Soon

*NOTE: I have this posted on another site under a different name. So if you see it somewhere else, just know Bacon Boy = Sir Analog. I decided to bring it over here just to see the reception it would get.

Last edited:
Sweet! Love mysterious writing!

Day 1:

Sir Analog said:
I'm a loner
A thinker
I don't play nice with others
It's not that I don't like people
They just don't like me

<3

Sir Analog said:
Everyone has an agenda

That wording always gets me. Nice job.

Nice mentioning of mines as punishment. I've noticed quite a lot of writers mentioning something similar and personally, I love it!

Also, great parallel structure with "Damn" at the end.

Night 1:

WTF?! Zombies. No, just no.

Sir Analog said:
If memory serves

Another wording I love.

Sir Analog said:
I'm no Gordon Freeman
I can't take down a citadel
It is being conducted by Aperture Science

Amazing allusions to two amazing Valve franchises! :lol: Here's hoping for Half-Life 3 soon!

Day 2:

Sir Analog said:
Jim kick and punched against his attackers.

*kicked

Great reference to antlions! I especially love those fearsome quadrupedal minotaur like leader ones. Forget what they're called.

Overall, great piece. :yes: I wish I was this good at creative writing, man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom