• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

what an absolutely stunning ring! congratulations!! <3
I was actually thinking about you, and I was kind of wondering if you play Animal Crossing?

Still finding it hard to believe that I actually have a fiancée.

I proposed to my girlfriend of nearly 3 years during the total eclipse on Monday
View attachment 74375

Here's a pic of the ring on her finger.
Oh damn, perfect time to propose too. It looks great, and congratulations.

On My Mind..

GameCapture_2023_05_15_15_13_45.0.jpg

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Really need to get my tech death project off the ground.

Just something I've been thinking about and something all artists and creative types can relate to.

When somebody compliments you on your craft, they awe and say, "You're so talented!"

And, I don't know about other artists or creative types, but I take that compliment as a back-handed compliment, because it ignores all of the countless hours I've spent cultivating, refining, and learning my craft, which happens to be music and guitar playing.

So, here's my take on talent.

Talent is a myth.

Expert skills and extraordinary abilities are determined solely by the amount of practice and, most importantly, (what people usually ignore), the METHOD of practice, and its quality and efficiency.

It's hard work and practice. Not talent.

In my experience, people use talent as either a cop-out, so they never have to cultivate or improve, or, they use it as an excuse to not learn or achieve what they want to achieve.

So many people would disagree with me, but anyone can learn to play guitar. I just am at the level I'm at simply because I've been doing it longer.

And I still think I have a lot to learn. I never stop. And that's what makes the difference. Others quit because they felt they didn't have the talent or knack for it.

Neither did I. I wasn't born with a guitar in my hands. I worked at it. I just never stopped working at it, and ever since I started when I was 7 years old, here I am 27 years later, still working at it.

If I had an innate gift, I wouldn't have to constantly work at it, I wouldn't have experienced skill regression (which I have before), I wouldn't have to constantly practice to maintain a minimum level of playing ability that meets my standards.

Ask any musician, athlete, artist, or what have you. None of them, in my experience, ever claim their success was the result of talent. In fact, in my experience, what you find is they frequently experience Imposter Syndrome, what I think is a specific and unique kind of anxiety surrounding creative types, high performers, and successful people. None of them feel they've earned their success. In fact, they feel like frauds, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

In fact, it's those that aren't experts that claim abilities that they don't possess. It's called the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

So don't tell me my success and skill as a musician is due to an innate gift. I can tell you it's not, and it's all because I just never stopped, and probably won't stop till the day I die.

Go out and do what you want to do, and don't stop just because you feel you suck ass at the beginning. It's okay to suck ass at the beginning. I sucked when I first started playing guitar, but I kept working at it, and I'm still working on it all the time.

Thanks for attending my Ted Talk.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Just something I've been thinking about and something all artists and creative types can relate to.

When somebody compliments you on your craft, they awe and say, "You're so talented!"

And, I don't know about other artists or creative types, but I take that compliment as a back-handed compliment, because it ignores all of the countless I've spent cultivating, refining, and learning my craft, which happens to be music and guitar playing.

So, here's my take on talent.

Talent is a myth.

Expert skills and extraordinary abilities are determined solely by the amount of practice and, most importantly, (what people usually ignore), the METHOD of practice, and its quality and efficiency.

It's hard work and practice. Not talent.

In my experience, people use talent as either a cop-out, so they never have to cultivate or improve, or, they use it as an excuse to not learn or achieve what they want to achieve.

So many people would disagree with me, but anyone can learn to play guitar. I just am at the level I'm at simply because I've been doing it longer.

And I still think I have a lot to learn. I never stop. And that's what makes the difference. Others quit because they felt they didn't have the talent or knack for it.

Neither did I. I wasn't born with a guitar in my hands. I worked at it. I just never stopped working at it, and ever since I started when I was 7 years old, here I am 27 years later, still working at it.

If I had an innate gift, I wouldn't have to constantly work at it, I wouldn't have experienced skill regression (which I have before), I wouldn't have to constantly practice to maintain a minimum level of playing ability that meets my standards.

Ask any musician, athlete, artist, or what have you. None of them, in my experience, ever claim their success was the result of talent. In fact, in my experience, what you find is they frequently experience Imposter Syndrome, what I think is a specific and unique kind of anxiety surrounding creative types, high performers, and successful people. None of them feel they've earned their success. In fact, they feel like frauds, despite all the evidence to contrary.

In fact, it's those that aren't experts that claim abilities that they don't possess. It's called the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

So don't tell me my success and skill as a musician is due to an innate gift. I can tell you it's not, and it's all because I just never stopped, and probably won't stop till the day I die.

Go out and do what you want to do, and don't stop just because you feel you suck ass at the beginning. It's okay to suck ass at the beginning. I sucked when I first started playing guitar, but I kept working at it, and I'm still working on it all the time.

Thanks for attending my Ted Talk.
I agree with this 100%. I know logically that when people say "You're so talented" what they mean is "This is so good", but my old drawings are all proof it wasn't talent that got me to where I am now. You may be talented in having a good eye for colors, or line width, or composition. But art itself requires work.

One thing I've told people that they tend to disagree with is how I hate the phrase "I wish I could draw". (Yk the stereotypical 'I can't even make a stick figure umu). If you wanted to draw, you'd be drawing right now. What you wish is that drawing was easy. If you want to get good at it it takes years of practice, study, and consistency. That's the only way.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Seeing my last concert before I take the most insane vacation of my life at the end of the month. Seeing one of the most well known autistic musical artists is pretty on brand I guess lol. I DONT KNOW HOW BUT THEY FOUND ME aka Dallon Weekes are an act I've seen once before and I am excited to see them again.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
I agree with this 100%. I know logically that when people say "You're so talented" what they mean is "This is so good", but my old drawings are all proof it wasn't talent that got me to where I am now. You may be talented in having a good eye for colors, or line width, or composition. But art itself requires work.

One thing I've told people that they tend to disagree with is how I hate the phrase "I wish I could draw". (Yk the stereotypical 'I can't even make a stick figure umu). If you wanted to draw, you'd be drawing right now. What you wish is that drawing was easy. If you want to get good at it it takes years of practice, study, and consistency. That's the only way.
Exactly.

You never hear artists or musicians, even great ones, say that it's due to talent. It's always a value judgment after the work was created, and nobody sees the process of that work coming to fruition.

In fact, I think artists and musicians are the types to say, "Stop talking, and start doing." The only way to get better is to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom